Buying any focus powerscrolls.

Cyane

+ to skill items only give a bonus up to your skill level. If you had a + 9 at 95, with a 100 skill max it would take you to 100. If you have 105 skill max it would take you to 104.

so basically for a gm thief without a stealing scroll +stealing items are useless?

Not useless. But if in Doom, will take you more tries to steal something than a thief at 110 or 120.

I would love to have a PS of 110 or better for my little thief. He has so far to go.

It wouldn't be usefull if you were already at your cap.

But a GM thief can still be usefull in DOOM.

Think about when the espionage cohort goes to doom to get the lamp posts. There is no guarantee that any memember will get the lamp post on the first steal. There will be other thieves from other guilds or just solo trying to steal it was well. 3 GM thieves trying to steal it have a better chance of getting it than 1 solo thief.

As far as stealing from players go, just wait for the insurance fad to die off some. I see people running around with all of their armour insured (6), shield (1), weapon(1), whatever is in their backpack (2 items maybe), and their rings and bracelets (2)

6+1+1+2+2 = 12 items at 750gp insuance each. That's 9K gone every time you die if you keep insuring.