Designer Vex Summation

Borg

Designer_Vex

(Designer - Ultima Online)

02/27/03 06:56 PM

After spending quite a bit of time going over the feedback from the last thread on the subject of an Age of Shadows Launch Gift, I've made note of the following items. I've categorized them roughly by type and am offering some initial feedback based on what I've seen so far. Remember that we're still brainstorming for good gift ideas. The actual selection process is just beginning, and it's not too late to submit an idea of your own!

It's very possible that I missed some ideas from the previous thread -- there was a lot of text there to read through. If I've missed your idea, please feel free to re-post it on this thread. One thing you can do to help is to not re-post an idea already listed here, and when posting an idea not on this list, keep your post small and to the point.

Let's keep brainstorming! Here's what I've gotten so far:

Game Design Changes

Let me be honest and say right up front that we aren't going to be able to do a soulstone or a fireplace deed for the Age of Shadows gift, because these two items are already in the works for a future publish.

Now here's a few more suggestions, and my thoughts below:

* Runic Fletcher Tools

* New Type of Steed

* Home Hitching Post/Stablemaster

* Gambling System

* Additional Character Slot

* Portable Forge

* Sex Change Deed

* New Choosable Title

* Home Bank Access

These are all really good ideas, but they do seem to be much more appropriate as game system additions or modifications to be added as part of regular content updates. These aren't really gift ideas -- they are game design ideas. By pointing that out here I'm basically saying we're probably not going to do any of these for the gift, but these are the type of the ideas we keep on our wish list when we start planning a game update.

A few more suggestions, with thoughts below:

* 800 Skill Cap

* 250 Stat Cap

* Secure Container - Extra Secure or Bank Box Storage

* Boots of Speed

* Blessed Bag of Sending

* Necklace That Prevents You From Being Dismounted

* +10 To All Resistances

* Weapon Sheath

* Ability To Ride Dragon

* Blessed Container

These items are all very similar to the previous list. The difference here is that these are much more major changes, either in terms of difficulty in implementation or in alteration of game balance, which means they are not likely as a gift in this instance.

And as far as the following three ideas go, I'm afraid these just aren't doable at all.

* Bring Back Power Hour

* GM Robe

* Name Change Deed

House Add-Ons

The following ideas all relate to house add-ons. Generally, we would like to avoid using a house add-on for this gift, because not everyone has a house. However, if we do end up allowing a choice between a few gifts, then one of them certainly could be a house add-on.

* Bee Hive House Add-On

* Mounted Dragon Head

* Moongate House Add-On

* Bookshelves with Books

* House Pet

* Special Secure Container that Commodity Deeds Work In

* Mountable Head Plaque

* House Design Theme Packs

* New Paintings

* Weapon Rack

* Display Shield

* House Decoration Theme Packs

* Deed To Grandfather a Vendor

* Tall Candelabra

* Horse Barding

* Saddle

Dye Tubs

All of the following are dye tubs of some sort. Any new dye tub would have to be carefully considered. The advantage of this gift is that anyone could use it and get benefit from it. The disadvantage is that everyone would have one. Unless, of course, we went with a choice between different gift items.

* Pet Dye

* Spellbook Dye

* Sandal Dye

* White Leather Dye

* Neon Dye

* Tailor BOD Reward Dye Tub

* Neon Leather Dye

* Black Furniture Dye Tub

* White Dye Tub

* Neon Leather Dye

* Ingot Dye Tub

* Armor Dye

Repeats of Existing Gifts/Rewards

These are ideas to consider as well. These all exist in some form or another, so creation of these obviouly wouldn't present any implementation difficulty. One thing we don't want to do with this gift is devalue any existing similar gifts, though.

* Extra Veteran Reward

* Power Scroll

* Extension to Early Settler Rewards

* Gold

* Bless Deed (Personal)

* Extra Mini-House

* New Ethereal Steed

* 0-Year Vet Rewards

Items

These ideas are items, or are things that modify other items. Some of the best candidates for this gift item are in this list. They are items that are not bound to houses and could be universally useful.

Keep in mind that this isn't specifically the list of items we are considering for this gift. I'm just saying that this type of item makes a good candidate for the gift - not that it's necessarily something we will choose.

* Hooded Shroud of Light

* Dyeable Hooded Shroud

* Special Body Sash

* Skill/Stat Increase Item

* Item of Clothing with Special Ability

* Ability to turn Reward Cloak/Robe into Other Clothing Type

* Polymorph Robe (or Other Item)

* Ethereal Clothing

* New Type of Mask

* New Type of Cape

* Armor of Shadows

* Armor of Light

* Clothing Item that is a Light Source

* AoS Commemorative Clothing Item

* Deed to Rename/Hue/Bless One Item

* Emergency Bag

* Magic Rune

* Item Engraving Tool

* Deed To Make An Item +10 to All Resists and Indestructable

* Statue of your own Character

* Rechargeable Fireworks Wand

* Medusa Head (Makes a Statue)

* Skill/Stat Increase Scroll

* Statue of Some Kind

* Improvement to Magic Item

* Ethereal Item

* +25 Stat Cap Scroll

* +5 To Skill of Choice

* "Shadow" Rose

* Bag of Random Item Generation

Mean and Vicious in a Cute Sort of Way

While the following ideas do not necessarily have an in-game function, they do have usefulness by providing amusement and maybe a bit of catharsis. I'm honestly not sure of the chances of these ideas, but they're still in the running.

* Head of an OSI Team Member

* OSI Team Member Piñata/Training Dummy

* Dev Team Member Voodoo Doll

* PK The Dev Team Event

Like the previous gift threads, we're asking everyone to stay on-topic! Tell us if the direction we're going works for you, or if you think we've left out some great ideas. Feel free to add your own ideas if they're not here, with a short description as to why you think it's the perfect gift. But most of all, keep it short, and please don't feel you have to post if you don't have anything to add, or if your idea is already listed. Thousand-post threads take a really long time to get through - especially if it's not new information! And lastly, please don't use this thread to debate whether we should give out a gift or not, since that part's already been decided.

And so, I leave you for now with the feedback we've gleaned so far. Please keep the ideas coming!

To be able to follow this post and the fevored threads ongoing, you must have registered to use UO.com boards.........CLICK HERE TO REGISTER