Designer Vex Responds

Borg

Designer Vex had responded to a few of the suggestions for the restitution idea put forth by SunSword on the UO.com message boards

Well, my drive home is normally 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Tonight it was 90 minutes, most of it through sleet that accumulated into thick slush on the roads. Fun. I mostly went 10 MPH or less in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Thankfully, nobody near me bumped into me or anybody else, and the usually insane Austin drivers drove with something resembling politeness and caution.

Anywho...

Here's the meat of what I've gleaned from this thread so far. I've roughly categorized these ideas, and now I'll comment on them, to try to steer the discussion towards refining the list a little bit. I know I've skipped over a few items, and I'll probably address those at some point over the next couple days. Even though I've chosen to talk about this list of ideas right now, please keep any new thoughts coming!

I'd like to see portable forges an option for miners, these are long overdue.

pls put in runic fletcher tools and something to use em with

Well being a Tamer I would love a home stable master.

BeeHive deed!

I really like the Dragon Head deed a lot

These are all good ideas, of course, but to be honest I don't think they quite fit the bill of what is needed here. There are two main reasons for that. Firstly, these items all seem to appeal to small percentages of players. Most people wouldn't really have a use for a portable forge, for instance, and the stables-at-home idea probably wouldn't appeal to a non-tamer who owns an ethereal steed. Secondly, I also believe these are good ideas for ongoing content additions to the game. In other words, these items make sense in the context of the ongoing evolution of the world of UO -- but the just don't seem to have that special "zing" of appropriateness as an apology gift.

While I don't want to start a discussion of post-AoS game design enhancements, I do want to say that ideas like these do not fall on deaf ears. While there's never enough resources for us to do everything we want in a publish, the design team does often bounce around these ideas and others like them.

How about a dyeable hooded shroud

or

Hooded Shroud of Light

There seems to be mixed reactions here about these ideas. With the Shroud of Shadows, this seems to me to be a bit of a duplicate idea. My own personal feelings on this matter are to try to come up with something different and new. And, it also seems to me that these might somehow devalue existing shrouds. If a new hueable shroud were added, wouldn't that be cooler than the Shroud of Shadows? What are your thoughts on this?

A certificate good for 5-10 skill points, usable toward any skill?

How about a stat scroll, one per account?

These items, or somethign like them, seem to me to be good candidates. They are universally useful and if done properly wouldn't be very unbalancing. I think for obvious reasons it wouldn't be a good idea to allow someone to jump from 90 skill to 100 with something like this, and it would make sense to have the actual skill increase scale back at higher skill levels

Or what about getting one specific item, and allowing players to choose +10 to any property on it when they claim the item itself?

Blessed Item of clothing with special abilities

Blessed emergency bag that you click and get 10 bandies, 10 of each reg, 10 food (something on that term usable once a day or something)

a single blessed magic rune that doesn't need magery to use.

Engraving Pen

A deed to rehue/rename/bless an one ingame item (any item).

These are all good ideas as well. Though, to be honest, the thought of allowing people to rehue any item in the game scares me. What have you thought of that I haven't? What strange thing do you want to paint some odd color?

Regarding the idea of adding +10 to a selected item property is a good thought as well, but I do believe it might have too many possible side effects to pursue. I do know there'd have to be a number of restrictions placed on its use to prevent making overpowered items. And the actual level of effect would depend on the property selected -- for example, +10 HP Regen is a lot more powerful than +10 to a resistance.

On the whole, though, I do find those ideas intriguing.

Personaly I'd like a "I survived the AoS launch sash",

pk the developer

"head of a dev team member"

Ooo, I want a "Head of Cynthe"

Not "The Head of Vex"? *pout* I'm devastated. :)

I like all the tongue-in-cheek ideas involving mutilation and we game developers/community representatives/quality assurance personnel. PK us? Hey, I'm happy to play punching bag. I'd even beg for my life. The screen shots would become treasured memories. :silly: In a meeting with Cynthe earlier I suggested a "Dev Team Voodoo Doll". I bet if we turned Gromm's twisted sense of humor combined with Helios' talent for making gumps on the problem, they'd come up with something great.

non-transferable bless deed

An Extra Reward choice(on login)

0 Yr Vet Reward - White Leather Dye Tub

Black Furny Dye Tub

Armor Dye Tub or Ingot Dye Tub

Armor dye tub

Sandal Dye Tub

Now, the upside of these ideas is that they'd all be very easy to design and fairly simple to implement. In general, they are rehashes of things that already exist in-game in some form or another. Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I'd prefer to do something new and different.

Hmm Soul Stone!!!

Those are on the radar for the next content publish, once we've gotten all the AoS bug fixing out of the way. I can't say how difficult to obtain they'll be, but I don't think these are supposed to be super-rare or anything.

1 Million Gold

NO!

Er, sorry. I think I just had a flashback to when Tyrant cracked the whip at Origin. :p

Statue of your own Character

Hmm. Interesting thought -- but I don't know how convincing a statue it would be. The actual statue object would most likely have to be pretty generic-looking.

Personally, I would rather you have your guys spend time on the bugs rather than a toy.

Right now everyone on the team, myself included, is working on bug fixes. Rest assured that bug fixing is receiving higher priority than this gift. This gift item isn't likely to be published until the next scheduled game update, after we're done with the series of AoS bug fix publishes that we're in the middle of right now. This means we have plenty of time to talk about this and select The Perfect Gift.

So -- do y'all have any feedback to my feedback? Or more ideas to mull over? I'll be here reading...

To gain access to UO.com message board so you can post and read all memos on UO.com CLICK HERE and Register