More SunSword Interactive

Borg

More Comments from Sunsword listed on Stratics UO General News Section

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003, 2:07 AM EST by Teich Dragon (GeneralNews)

SunSword posted some answers about his Comment from the Team in a thread on the MyUO-Forums:

Note: Although some the OSI boards allow any visitor to read, in order to read or post in most of the official Ultima Online message boards you’ll need to be logged into the forums. Don’t have an account, yet? Go here to register!)

I would like to think that some things (vendor/lockdown limits) are up for discussion. I don't see it happening, but would be nice to have some kind of roundtable or some kind of acknowledgement that they will take a look at that. The issue was people using NPCs to store stuff, the solution was to hurt everybody in some way. I wasn't one of the ones who deleted all their vendors, however me upgrading my cabin (not customizing but upgrading) caused me to lose my vendors, and so it is heavily impacting me.

I think they are up for discussion. The primary concern we have is that vendors be used for commerce and not for additional storage. I have challenged the design team to think of alternatives to the current implementation of vendors, and I'm sure they'll be on the boards to talk about it as well. Most of the staff is currently working on AoS remaining issues, but I imagine we'll be ready to have a dialogue about this more next week. Don't let that stop you from talking about it now.

I hope, for the sake of the UO playerbase, that in the future, when such major changes are going to be made, that they aren't made in secret, and that there is not an assumption on the part of OSI that if we find out about a change early that most of us will abuse it. I also hope that if rumors start, OSI will step in and put a stop to them, rather than let them grow and grow, until by the time an announcement has been made, it's too late, and the rumors have done their damage.

So, I'm hesitant to stir this bee's nest up again, but I understand that it's an important point. I have two responses to this.

A) If we had done a better job of launching the game, then we wouldn't have been so focused on fixing things and had better response times in our communication. That's basically what happened. We were soley focused on getting things working and fixed that we weren't able to react to the leak of vendor changes in time, nor assuage people's concerns by telling them about the grandfathering solution.

B) *deleted something I just shouldn't say*. Fortunately, it's a short-term solution.

Edit: Hopefully by keeping the changes smaller, things will be handled better and people won't wander around in complete shock.

Exactly.

Edit2: I also hope, that if something like Malas occurs again, that OSI does some kind of traffic control to keep the shards up and new players able to login. New players had to be asking themselves why they bought UO.

Indeed.

From Flutter:

I for one appriciate the time you took to write up the state of service. I realize the work that is involved and I am seeing red names nearly 24 hours a day responding to PMs and posts so I for one know you guys and gals are working hard.

I have noticed as of today packetloss to the ea servers. I have checked various IPs on my route and there is a good chance that AT&T is to blame here but you may want to look into it. Packet loss sure isn't helping the server issues. In fact it can be greatly hurting your efforts to fix things.

Anyway, something for you to look into.

Already investigating.

Other than that you and your team have done a fine job fixing major bugs, I am sorry that a large number of your client base don't see it, but I have.

I have a list of things I would like answered, but nothing major and game altering except two...

Are the resistances on our armors working properly? I am not seeing a huge difference in spell damage with different armors.

Are runic hammers and sewing kits working properly? Perhaps I am overlooking something somewhere but I am not seeing the proper %'s added onto enhanced items... maybe an explaination of this can be thrown in somewhere?

Oops make that three things...

I am unable to dye certain monster loot enhanced leathers. Nothing game altering mind you... but maybe easy to fix? Certain leathers are not regestering as "leather" to the dye tub :sword:

I'm happy to forward these questions to the team, of course. If any of these are problems, they may or may not already know about them, I haven't checked our bug database for 'em yet.

And

We're working on several solutions to the blackhole issue.

The recall bug needs looking into, I have ended up on different facets many times.. fortunately for me I have runes to all facets on all my characeters, but I can see where this would be a problem for those who don't. Some folks are even reporting crossing server lines and ending up in another facet.

Actually in many cases (if not all), people aren't being put in the wrong facet, it's just that their client is drawing the wrong version. This is a problem that we are aware of and will definitely fix soon.

From Tarnum:

They do not need us constantly belittling them, it is counter productive. We have to either accept that they are working on things or quit. The issues that are out there will be addressed I am sure. They are listening to the players, even if we do not think they are listening. Cut them some slack, I for one think they are doing a great job.

I don't think you need to cut us some slack so much as understand that we really are trying to make a great game for you guys. I can understand the frustration that players feel when things go wrong, that's how I ended up working on UO in the first place, ages ago. Someone broke into my house with an exploit and it drove me nuts. I applied at OSI and got a job as a game designer just so I could fix that freakin' bug! That's basically how lockdowns and banning ended up getting in the game years ago. Anyway, my point is We're working very hard to get this launch straightened out for you shortly.

From Mahkno:

Sunsword,

Sounds like your got your hands full.

Do you have any idea when Siege will be getting AoS? Next week, next month, next year?

We were told we would get it on the 11th. In hindsight many of us are glad that we did not but ... Many Siege players took the day off, using valuable vacation time, expecting Siege to be published. No advance word was given that we would not be. Many of us paid a premium price to have the product delivered to us on the 12th when in fact that was not needed. We still have no clear idea how AoS is going to be published to Siege or Mugen. There are details that need elaboration in relation to Siege/Mugen.

Can we know when? I think you owe it to us.

Siege will be getting some version of AoS in the near future. I thought we had already publicly described what it will be, but I don't have time right now to look it up. I'll do that in a bit. I won't give you a date because there were some minor issues that remain, and we won't get to address them until we're done fixing the remaining issues with AoS. I imagine sometime early next week I can give you a definite answer. Please be patient.

Okay, I have some meetings to run. I'm wondering if these "in-line" responses are ok with everyone?

--

SunSword

Producer, Ultima Online

CLICK HERE to see other comments on the official UO.com boards