Windows 98 Tips

Balandar

Alrighty.. here are some tweaks that I did for my system.

On your program list... you know how it comes up in one column and you have to scroll down to see all your programs.. (hate that). There is a setting to change it to windows 95 look, multiple columns! Run your registry editor regedit. (you can just run regedit from the run command). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced. Right click in the empty white space and select new -> String Value.  Edit its name to StartMenuScrollPrograms and set its value as FALSE. That's it.  

You can also speed up the start menu so there is less delay when the columns and sub-columns pop up. In your registry editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop and add a new -> string named MenuShowDelay with a value in ms. IE (400ms is .4 seconds. This is the default setting). I think I have mine set as 1 or something. You may need to reboot for the setting to take effect.