Quests

Lord Ser Brightblade

Hi Big Brother!

You've hit one of my favorite things about DAoC.

quest and task, people often confuse them though.

you can go up to an npc and say /task and be given something easy to do (such as deliver a bottle to another npc)

you get a little copper and some exp

later on they give you hard tasks players are calling kill tasks.

Usually these are given by named guards but not always. These give better exp and money. You can earn I've heard 3 bubbles doing tasks. There is a limit on how any tasks you can do per level but I haven't seen what that limit is.

Now there is another type of task also. If you do a tradeskill you can ask your trainer for a task and they'll tell you make an item and deliver it to an NPC. you get some money and the tradeskill exp but no bubble exp. It's purely for tradeskill advancement.

Then there are the quests!!!  The quests range from a snore to incredible. From worthless loot to wonderful! Quests can also be given by named NPCs by just 'talking' to them. (clicking on them) quests are level based. I've gotten magic items doing quests giving me bonuses to my dex, con, str etc etc.

The most important quests to do are the ones from your trainer. It is absolutely the most important thing to do. If your trainer gives you a quest you must finish it for them to give you a new one. This is important because at some point your trainer will give you an epic quest. This quest goes on over several levels. I just got my first part of my epic when I hit level 15 on my Albion cleric and my first reward is an awesome shield with bonuses to my str, con, power and it's so pretty!. I was then told to come back when I reached level 20 for the next part.

I found a web site that gives a pretty good listing of all the quests for each realm. I go there to find quests starting location, what npc to talk to at what level. THere are total walk throughs if you get stuck but they are hidden so there is no spoiler unless you click on the link.

DAoC Warcry

Please do the quests from your trainer if you do no others. They are very work it.

And one more thing on quests. If you have to kill a mob that is just too hard for you , or the quest spot seems camped to death and you'll never get the mob, there is an answer.

This has got to be one of the best things about this game.

Say I have to kill Bog the orge and get a necklace. He's way to hard for me for some reason or 6 other people want the same Bog. Well group! Yes group with those other 6 players and kill that Bog. Every single one of you get the item!

I've even grouped with players not doing the quest I was doing. They got exp for killing the monster and I got the quest item. Also even if the mob is gray to me I still get the quest item.

Isn't that a great system!

BB, The quests are awesome.  I'm almost 9th lvl now as a runemaster and i've just completed my first couple quests.  I got a magic Quarterstaff, a magic hat, and a magic ring.  I wasn't supposed to get the ring so quick but I had luck finding a monster before I got the quest and killed it and then brought it back to the right person.  Its very cool to gain the magic items and getting xp's as well, but it also teaches you the lay of the lands.

Also, party with someone higher level and then you get xp's off them.  Thanks Damar! Your the best man!

Ahh.....the Quests....the Quests and Tasks of the DAoC engine are another example of IMPROVMENTS from other game engines and player desires.

Lorraina covers much of the quests info and looks to have the same zest for thier enjoyment as myself.

I will add simply that they affect the bottomline of your character.....3 parts.

1)EXPERIENCE....BIGTIME GAINS!!!

2)REWARDS.......coinage and magical items

3)KNOWLEDGE....map

Tasking

In gaining experience NOTHING beats Guard Tasks (GKT) for the most for the time spent....at every level there is at least 2 guards somewhere that will give you "go kill this" tasks.  Jordheim is the only city I did not Guard Task.  (the guard will tell you EXACTLY which direction to go...DUE WEST for example will be the closest target goal...gain is 4 to 8 mini bubbles per task)

Additionally, many many merchants will give you Delivery Tasks (TTT) which are the simplest tasks to perform....they tell you who and which city they are in. (gain is 2 to 4 mini bubbles.....if they do not list a city that means they are in a Tower, roadside or wandering)

Questing

Trainer Quests are pivitol and necessary for level progression and specific professional item and skill growth....you must do these to progress in training regiments. (gain is varied and some only step progressions)

Trades Quests are also pivitol and necessary for skill growth and if done exclusivley during trades training will pay for your supplies in the rewards.  These are like TTT after you make item but STAY WITHIN THE CITY OF JORDHEIM. (gain is only in skill ability...NO EXP)

Realm Quests are challenges that will combine all you have learned about the map(learned from doing GKT and TTT) as well as your level you are at.  Some NPCs will NOT give you a realm quest until you are at a certain level.  Special items are reward which will help you in stats for growth to next level. (Item is the true gain....but exp along the way can be great...they just take longer)

Doing ANY of the TASKS or QUESTS will build in you an understanding of the map you live inside.

FASTEST EXP GAINS...........Guard Tasks (City Guards only)

SAFEST EXP GAINS.............Delivery Tasks (NPC Merchants)

EASIEST COINAGE GAINS.....Trades Tasks (Trades Master)

BEST ITEM GAINS...............Realm Quests (NPCs at large)

TASKING an NPC or Guard(70% of a level is allowed)

1-target them (left click)

2- say Task to them

If they give you a task write down who/what and where.

(ie name of target and which city or which direction to go)

If you get a Guard task...KEEP COMING BACK TO THAT GUARD until he says "NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU" :devil: just kidding do his guard tasks until you exhaust your limit for that level.

QUESTING an NPC or Guard (no restrictions, just longer/harder)

1-target them (left click)

2-engage them (right click)

If they have a quest for your level a pop up story will occur with boldbracketed words....say EXACTLY those words back to the NPC until you are given an option to accept the quest

ACCEPT ALL QUESTS!!!! eventually you will finish them and all of your active Quests can be seen in the JOURNAL section of your profile.

TRADES Training a Master (no restrictions only skill/coin gain)

1-target your master trainer (left click)

2-say Task to them

3-write down WHAT to make and WHO to deliver to....then do it.

NOTES:

typing /task will tell you current task assigned to you...but NOT DIRECTION if it is a Guard Task

Create a Macro to task NPC/GUARDS/MASTERS

a) type /Macro /whisper task

b) drop the new /whis icon (now stuck to your cursor) onto your hotkey list.

Now you can simply target (left click) and hit your whisper button to see if you can get a task....no clutter on your chat screen and FASTER.

IF YOU DIE in doing ANY TASK....it dies too....go get another from that same guard :) (now enjoying seeing you struggle) or a different merchant :D (now pissed at you)

If you did just Guard tasks you would level in about 1 hr and 10 minutes (my best time was 1 hr lvl 18-19 when I had a healer who also was doing guard tasks....we helped each other on tough ones)...you can avg about 2hrs/level easily and with NO DANGER of death if you are careful....go in direction guard tells you and kill a green/blue in that targeted area...return to guard....can be done solo

Along the ways....watch for Targets of Opportunity (TOP)...they are GREENS to you that are NEUTRAL easy kills and do not group attack you.

As one who used to create quests inside the UO engine...it is very good to see the built in options for players of DAoC to utilize IF they wish....if they dont....they dont have to do them.

Quote from Borg, posted on Nov. 09 2001,08:10

Create a Macro to task NPC/GUARDS/MASTERS

a) type /Macro /whisper task

b) drop the new /whis icon (now stuck to your cursor) onto your hotkey list.

This has been changed to /macro {descrip} {text}. So you would need to do something like /macro TASK /whisper task.

I just add one note on the post about accept all quests.

A word of caution here.

You can only have 10 pending quests in your journal. My caution is some people aren't getting the important epic quest when they should because the journal is full and trainer can't give it to them. So make sure you have some room before you go to the trainer.

Archived