Running WoW on Linux?

Balandar

Here are some suggestions to get WoW to run on linux.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=209&tid=98

Posts from slashdot.org.

-------------------------------------------------------

Re:Been playing it on linux for almost a month... (Score:3, Informative)

by Aadain2001 (684036) on Monday January 10, @06:01PM (#11315462)

(http://www.adambrowning.com/blogger.html | Last Journal: Monday June 23, @07:07PM)

Basic stuff you have to do to run Windows games under FC3: turn off prelinking (easy), turn on legacy VA memory layout (easy) and disable exec-shield (easy).

The other changes were like using version 6111 of the nvidia drivers instead of 6629 (performance issues), enabling SBA and Fast Writes, etc, all to improve card performance (which benifits all games!). Also had to use openGL instead of D3D rendering in the game (adding -opengl switch to launcher) to increase FPS again.

There is only really one bug with WoW under Cedega and openGL: you can't have the minimap open when you go into a building or dungeon. The screen goes blank when you do and you have to kill the game at the command line. You can bypass this by running the game in D3D, but then it runs slower. I choose to just remember to close my minimap before going into buildings or dungeons.

First, prelinking must be completely turned off. It's really not that hard to do and RedHat even tells you how to do it.

I don't really know what legacy VA memory layout is, but I know you have to have it enabled no matter what CPU you have (I have a P4, not an AMD chip). Do some google searching on it and exec-shield if you what to know what they are. I do know that exec-shield is a kernel level protection from having data memory bein executed as instruction memory (if I remember correctly). It gets in the way of the Windows binary memory layout, so that's why it has to be turned off.

Cedega is NOT an emulator, that is why these neet new protection schemes interfere with the games. Cedega is a mapper, so it uses the Linux OS to actually run the game and only maps the Windows API calls to equivalent Linux API calls (and D3D to openGL). That's why prelinking and exec-shield interfere with the games and must be turned off.

:D