An Ancient and a Magistrate

kodoz

Kodoz had been away for some time; he had visited a few times in recent months when he had breaks from his journeys. He had been contemplating many things. The apron still fit when he returned, as he had known it would. However the cloak on his back had grown heavy with the mantle of leadership. He had thought over it before. He had served a long time in the guardians, long enough that if necessary he could claim his retirement as Triston did…his minds drifted back to his old friend.

Triston had done what he knew had to be done; he was no longer around enough to hold his position, and so he had lain aside his title of Magistrate. Was it now time for Kodoz to do the same? Kodoz didn’t think so but he wasn’t sure. He was going to be back home, here at the PGoH Lodge far more often now, and could fill his position…but should he? Or was it time for him also to step aside? Make way for the new?

He removed his cloak for a moment and held it before him; he then softly spoke to himself.

“What should I do?”

"You could start by getting me a cup of tea. A journey this far and long, and no tea waiting? Bah! Young people these days!"

Strider looked down and grinned at Kodoz. He had known this lad for some time now. Had even been watching him from afar while he travelled. While the both of them travelled. Kodoz sought truth in his life, and adventure and meaning.

Strider sought to aid those in need, to obtain a certain balance.

Now, Kodoz was in need.

Strider grinned widely, and his body began to glow blue. He feigned impatience and jokingly scolded the lad..

Strider, grinned and winked at the obviously confused Kodoz.

Yes. It was good to be back.

"Well?! Have you no manners, dont stare and gawk with yer jaw on the floor, I did ask for tea did I not?"

Kodoz looked up suddenly at the voice and blinked. He had returned? Strider was back? He then tried to turn quickly and look like he had been ready for him and he got tangled in the cloak and cursed in his mind. Great now he thinks I am a fool. Kodoz sighed once and untangled himself, and strapped the cloak back on.

“I’ll get you some…”

Kodoz moved to the large dressers in the Lodge; they contained all of Ed’s things, and among other things Ed did a bit of cooking and such. Kodoz knew how to make decent tea. He then mixed some up and passed it over the forge to heat it, and handed a cup to the Ancient.

“What brings you back sir? Its been ages…Not that I’m complaining mind you, just curious. How long have you been there by the way?”

"Your first question. I brought me back, OBVIOUSLY," Strider winked at the poor confused Kodoz. "And the second, how 'long' I have been 'here' is a question relative only to ones concept of time. In your mind I have always been here. In my own I am not 'here' at all." Strider smiled gently.

"The important issue Kodoz, is this. Honour does not leave behind those who serve it simply because it is tired, or has 'reached its goal' honour serves those who seek it for eternity. And as time is relative to the mind of he who examines it, that eternity could indeed go on without end. Thus, if you feel you have done your service. You are correct. Ofcourse you have, you have sought honour, and sought to serve it.

On that point. If honours job is never complete, how can yours be?

The empire, needs honour. And you have served it wisely, with strength.

The universe may become tired, but it does not end its cycle merely out of exhaustion. You have had your rest. Come now.

Your time is now."

Kodoz smiled. Strider was still the same. He could read Kodoz like an open book. However Strider also still tended to speak in abstracts as much as he could. But he was right. Kodoz could feel in his heart, his mind, his very soul that Strider was right. Kodoz time was still at hand, and it would be a long time until he hung up his kryss.

“Your right old friend. And as long as I can I will fight for honor. For the empire. And against any who would oppose it.”

Kodoz took the kryss from its sheath and glanced at its finely honed craftsmanship. It had fought against all the enemies of the empire in recent years. Kodoz had been with the guardians for nearly three years…and he would look forward to the next three. Kodoz then held out his hand to Strider openly.

“Is your time now then too my friend?”

Strider smiled, and sighed. Was his time now? His time had been always. If not in this world then in the myriad others. This world, this place he stood now, he had had a time here once. He lived in mortal form here, watching people, guiding people.

But was "his time" now?

Yes.

"Yes my friend, I think, that MY time. NO matter what that is exactly.. is indeed. Now."

"So let us go.. I understand we are under dressed and under armed for the world as it is now, eh?" Strider grinned and winked at Kodoz.

"We have much to prepare for young friend. Just know. I am at your side. You are not alone, never have been in fact."

Strider winked, and laughed loudly patting him on the back.

"Come. Honour does call.. and so does my tea!"

Kodoz chuckled along with the ancient and then they talked over a great deal of things. Mostly small talk and a lot of catching up. He then told the ancient that he would have Ed make them both some armor and get the ancient whatever he needed. Indeed it was their time. It was a time of many things now; a time of rejuvenation; a time of returns. A time of old friends coming back, and new friends being made. Guardians had left, but other guardians were returning. It was the way of change; but for Kodoz one thing would never change…his friends. He would always consider any who had served a tenure in the guardians as friends. And the ancients were especially essential to the Empire. In every time of need they had been around to show the way; to help the Empire. Kodoz was somewhat saddened by things that had happened recently, but with the return of so many of those who had helped shape the empire into what it was and what it would be things were looking up once more. Truly the Gods favored those that strode through the halls of honour.

With that Strider laughed harder and smiled. He paused, let forth an odd and powerful cry in an elvish tongue older than any heard in this world for thousands of year. Blue light, streaming from the air around them, coalesced about their persons. Kodoz looked startled as the light enveloped him and glanced at Strider quickly, and then calmed himself realizing that Strider obviously knew what he was doing…

And they were gone.

Gone to serve Honour once more.