Possible Fix for nVidia Framerate Issue

The Pancakes

I hear that some folks are having framerate issues with their nVidia cards after installing WinXP SP2. Here's a re-post of some information that may help you:

This is kind of strange.  Nvidia's site has 61.77 as their latest drivers.  Those have the SP2 framerate/sound problem.  There are rumors of 66.xx beta drivers solving the problem.  But playing with beta drivers is like playing with a nuclear device that's already leaking plutonium.  I wasn't about to try that.

However, 65.73 is apparently a WHQL certified driver created by Nvidia, but not on their website.  Its on some enthusiast websites, but Kai found a more reliable place to get it (thanks Kai!).

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/homepc/video.html

3rd on the list.

I tried this driver last night and it completely solved my framerate problems.  Used to be that I'd get framerate trouble whenever grouped with a radiation defender.  I also used to get framerate problems when rain of fire was cast.  Last night I had a radiation defender, an ice blaster, and two fire blasters all casting their things at the same time with no troubles (other than the intense boredom that comes from when playing with that many blasters). 

I've only played for one night this way, so I can't comment on the overall stability of the 65.73 drivers.  But at least they're WHQL certified and solve the problem.  Works for me.

Note that there's no setup program with these drivers.  You need to export them into a directory, then go to Device Manager, select your display adapter, and say "Update Driver."  Then point the wizard at the directory where you unpacked them.

Note also that these are NVidia drivers.  Don't try this on your ATI card.  Of course, if you're on ATI you're probably not having the framerate problems anyway...

Thanks for all the help everyone.  It's wonderful to have sound back.

Archived