Copy your characters to the Test Server!

DashZero

Here's the thread on the CoH boards if the link below doesn't work. Character Copy Thread on CoH Board

You can now copy your characters to the Training Room (test server)!

For making easy copies of your characters to the test server, please visit our new Character Copy Tool, login to your account, and follow the instructions carefully.

There are some important caveats to be aware of before you make a copy of your character:

*Your copied character will no longer be a member of any taskforce or supergroup and all tasks will be lost.

*Your copied character will lose all influence points that the original source character acquired.

*Any sidekick your source character has will not be copied over to the test server.

*In cases where your character had a populated friend’s list on the production servers, when that character is copied to the test server your friend’s list will be empty.

Your source character will *not* be affected or modified by this copy process in any way.

Please report any bugs you encounter via the in-game support tool.

The full thread mentions that if you get enough XP to level on your main server, you could copy yourself to the test server (BEFORE actually levelling). Then you could try out "Available Power X", and if it sucked or just didn't fit your character concept, you could copy yourself over again and try "Available Power Y", copy again, try "Z", etc. until you found the power you liked best.

Somebody called this "Power Shopping", and said they didn't like it because they were a purist. LOL! ;)

I will disagree for the following reasons:

• It is a test server - everything is danger of being wiped at anytime. With that risk comes a little reward, the chance to try before you buy.
  • They have definitely been considering the potential for exploiting on the Test Server. Copied characters arrive on Test with no Influence Points. This is to stop people from repeatedly copying a character there and handing another player LOTS of Influence.
  • Why is it bad to get a preview of your next power? I have picked a power I didn't like before - the power was Jump Kick, and the animation was NOT in my character concept. I deleted the character. Not hard to reroll at 8th level or so, but what about 28th? I really don't want to pick a power I hate at that point.
  • What does previewing and selecting a power do that exploits the game? I COULD stand by Ms. Liberty and spam on broadcast channel, "Can someone with Jump Kick come show me how it looks? I want to make sure it fits in my character concept." I could team with them nd watch how it worked and get a pretty good feel for the power. If that is "bad", it means that the INTENT is that players are supposed to pick powers they know nothing about and if you don't like what you get - tough luck? I can't imagine that is the POINT of the current power gain mechanics, I think it is a side effect.
  • The only way I can see this used in a somewhat exploitive way is for Joe Power Gamer to go to Test and optimize his selection of powers. If all the l33t gamers do this and build "uber' templates faster because of it, the nerf bat will come out sooner and the game gets balanced faster.

I generally think any testing is a good thing and so I like the character copy idea. Even if people come to Test just to "Power Shop". Some of those shoppers will stay, even if just to gain a few levels on test to see how the power works and maybe how it works with the next power they select.

Archived