Install the Test Server!

DashZero

I have a couple characters on the test server (the "Training Room" is it's name). You cannot see the test server by logging in to the main game, it is effectively another (very similar) copy of CoH that you need to download. It is a BIG download, 775 MB if I remember correctly. (It took me about 3 or 4 hours to download, my suggestion is to start this download after you finish playing for the night.)

You never know what you might get to see early - I got a sneak preview of the Behemoths! :smurf:

Add 'Gaia Guard' and 'Origami Boulder' to your friends list there, those are my toons so far. Best bet is to probably pre-plan to meet there, it is a pretty empty server.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Locate the “CohUpdater.exe” file. If you installed the game from the retail cd, this will be in the game directory, which is “C:\Program Files\City of Heroes” by default. [DashZero - I believe I just right click dragged the launch icon right out of the start menu, and made a copy on the desktop.]

2. Create a shortcut to this file. [DashZero - Rename it "TEST server" or something.]

3. Open the Properties for the newly created shortcut. In the “Target” window, add the following flag to the end of the line:

[space]-test [DashZero - so the target ends up being “C:\Program Files\City of Heroes” -test.]

4. Run this shortcut. [DashZero - See note below! I chose to install somewhere seperate so I could easliy delete it later without worrying I was deleting something from the normal installation.]

NOTE: The first time you run the shortcut, you will be asked if you want to install the test client to the default directory. Choose “Yes” if you want to install it there, or choose “No” if you want to choose a different directory. It is recommended that you install the test client in a different location than your normal game client.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, it takes a long time to download. So, if you ever think you want to preview some new features and help out on testing and play balancing them before they hit the live servers I suggest downloading this now to be ready. :smoke:

Archived