Firewalls and Online Games

nadjia rhazzka

Hi there! Nice to meet you all.

Being new to cable modem and all its beautiful abilities, I was wondering if any of you can recommend a Firewall program to use?

I hear some interfere with gameplay and some don't .. that is the gist of all I know about it.

I feel strongly that I should use something besides the built-in one WinXp uses.

I look forward to hearing from you!

*hugs*

Nadjia

I also use Norton Personal Firewall since it came with my AV package about 9 months ago. The only problem with Norton is that you have to buy a yearly license to keep getting updates.

There are several free ones out there, such as Zone Alarm. There is also a free antivirus program called AVG.

As to which firewall, dunno. You may want to ask at madonion.com (now called http://www.futuremark.com/). I ask almost all of my computer hardware/software questions on there if it's about gaming.

If you have a router, you won't need a firewall. As long as you do not have any ports open on your router, you won't need to worry about someone compromising your system. I only open ports that I need for gaming. Like Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, and my Teamspeak server, and my Linux box as well.

Yes, I have AVG as my antivirus program .. it is wonderful!

No, don't have a router as we couldn't get it working right. Only have the USB cable modem and then the computers are hooked together by way of ethernet. Will I only have to put the firewall on the host computer (the one the USB cable modem goes through) or both of them?

Thanks for all the help!