The nights that haunt us.

The path twisted and turned before him, as he cautiously made his way to the lair of the dreaded beast. This was his fourth trip up the path each time only to remove the young from the nest. Luring them away made the task much more accomplishable. Heat radiated from the walls, filled with soot and lined at the bottom with various chuncks of bone, flesh and armour. A quick glance around the corner noticed the great beast still lie sleeping, a last flip through his spellbook to ensure the words of power were correct. One mistake here and he surely would never return to the great halls of Olympus.

Foolishness or bravery, mostly foolishness placed him in the peril he was in today. A last deep breath he took then he moved around the corner.

He shouted words only few comprehend, the air around him grew black. His spells flew into the nest hitting thier target, more and more spells hurled into the rocky casm. It was then the beast raised from its resting place to destroy its attacker. Its eyes as red as hot coals on the forge, it snarled and hissed as a great flame rocketed from its jaws. Leaping behind the rocky mountain face he was just missed as the ball of fire smacked the wall.

He rose to his feet, he stepped out once again for an assault, this time it was not to be. A mighty wing caught him solid landing him against the far wall. Face to face they were as the monsterous being moved in its head for a closer look. Raring back its mouth illuminated as the fire moved up to the front of its mouth. ARRRRRGGHH!

Logan leaped from his bed, his body drenched in sweat. Steel crashed through the wooden door.

Mi'lord I heard screams, are you well? Steel asked, as he stood there blade drawn dressed in his robe.

It was the same again Steel...exactly the same...Logan began to tell Steel this reoccuring dream of his.

Steel's eyes widen as Logan told him the tale, his face became blank.

Mi'lord, this cannot be for i have had the same dream but...it..it..was....

• 2 weeks later...

It..it was…me that was walking up to the lair of the beast.

“In this dream milord, were you…..you ..alone?”

“Aye Steel, I was alone…some foolish trip to gather the young of the beast.”

Steel pondered, his memory of the dream rapidly failing as ones dreams does. “I can barely remember milord but it seems to me milord that I was not.”

Logan looked curiously at the senator. He noted the weariness in the young man, so much different then when they first met. His hair had started to gray a bit at the temples and his the lines on his face seemed more heavily drawn. Much had changed since they had first met. But he could not help bu…….

“Milord?” Steels voice broke through the reverie.

“Ahh sorry Senator…my mind had wandered.”

“Yes milord, I was just saying that I believe I was not alone.”

“If my memory serves…I was leading the legion milord.” “But, although I know not what happened, when I reached the cavern itself….I was alone…”

“Logan pondered, what premoni…..

He stopped suddenly as the yell of the night sentry could be heard through the open window…someone was approaching the castle and the guards, ever vigilant had spotted him or her..

Who could it be at this time of night?

Clad in jet black chainmail and deep purple robes, Triston's pale white skin made him look almost halfdead as he rode up to Olympus under the feint moonlight. Little bits of frost clung to the stone masonry and tree's nearby, as all where reminded that summer had finaly broken into fall in Sosaria, and winter was soon to come. Triston pulled his cloak about him as a cool breeze played at its fringes, and a shiver cause by more then the tempature ran up and down his body. The light in Emperor Logans bedchamber was on, at this hour.

Triston was right, this dream did have meaning.

Triston entered the bedchamber with bairly a knock when he heared both the Senator of War and Emperor speaking within.

"My Leige, Senator, I apologize for comming unannounced at this hour, and also for interupting whatever important affairs it is that are being discussed, but I felt it urgent. I seem to have had a dream that can only be an omen."

Both the Emperor and Senator arched their eyebrows at his words, and Logan bade Triston to speak on with a simple hand gesture and not a word.

"Well, it started off simply enough, if not a touch far fetched. I was leading a contingent of knights oddly enough, seeing as I havent feilded troops sense takeing a position on the Emperors Councle. But I digress. We rode hard as though hell was at our backs and the King of Devils at our front. We where all clearly shaken with the battle to come, but eager to see it through if you follow my meaning. Well as we rounded the last bend I looked and saw Steel in full battle regailia, with the Legion at his back. Before him stood some unseen enemy, and it was sweeping down upon them like a tidal wave. I could not manage to see what it was that attacked them, but it was clearly a terrable foe. Yet every night I have this dream I wake up at the precise moment before the two factions clash..."

"Do you think their could be some signifigance to this M'Lord?" Triston asked coming up from his inner thoughts to see the blank shock on the faces of his two friends. Clearly something about his tale had upset them, and he leaned forward to hear more.