A GM SPEAKS!

Winter Wind

A new Team Comment has been posted recently, this time from GM Platinum (Team Lead, Player Relations):

The last time I was asked to do this I was a Senior Game Master for Ultima Online. Since then, I have moved into the role of Lead Game Master. I have been doing this job for just over a year now. My role consists of supervising the in-game support staff, as well as managing the service for Ultima Online, Earth and Beyond, and The Sims Online. This mostly consists of making sure everything is running smoothly, as well as getting issues resolved that affect the service with each of these games.

The tasks I am faced with can be more than challenging at times, so having a great team to work with is extremely important. I have been very fortunate in that I have had the opportunity to work with some outstanding individuals. The group we have right now certainly falls into that category; they make me laugh and keep me on my toes. More importantly, they have shown me that they are always willing and able to address any challenge I happen to throw their way.

I would like to take a moment to explain to you all what the role of a Game Master is. The GMs are there to provide support for in-game issues. Some of these issues include harassment calls, fixes that do not require development/QA assistance, hacked accounts, etc. While there are many issues that fall into this category, general game play questions do not. If you have a general game play question, we ask that you research the answer by using the alternate methods that are available in and out of the game, such as the Codex of Wisdom and our Game Wizard, which is located at http://support.uo.com. By selecting the "Find Answers" option in the Game Wizard, you can search the database by using keywords to see if the information is available. If the information is not available, you can click on the "Ask a Question" tab. Once you enter your question, it will give you feedback on answers that might be helpful to you. If none of the answers apply, you can update your incident, which will send a message to the email team, and then they will attempt to resolve your issue.

Unfortunately, there are some issues that the GMs cannot address. For instance, there's a bit of confusion with stat and skill gains. If a player pages in claiming their stats and/or skills will not raise, there is nothing the GMs can modify on that character that will force them to raise. I realize this can be more than frustrating for you; however, since we don't have the ability to determine whether or not your stats or skills are being adjusted properly, it's not something we can fix for you in-game. If you truly feel there is an issue with your stats or skills, we ask that you please report this to our QA Team at uobugs@uo.com.

It is very important to us to be able to address those issues we can in a timely manner. That is one reason I chose to provide you all with some information via a Team Comment that will help you help us make things better. I hope this helps to give you all a better understanding of the service the GMs can provide. I appreciate you all taking the time to read this. Please keep in mind that we are always looking to make any changes that will allow us to provide the best service possible.

In closing, I would like to say thanks to all of you because you truly make UO a great game.

Platinum

Team Lead

Player Relations

Let me see if I understand. He basically just told us in 6 paragraphs or so "We cannot help you with that. Please see http://support.uo.com"

Or am I missing something?