Internet Connections

Lotara

I am really in need of help. I live in a very small community in rural California where there is no cable available and no DSL available. I just checked again yesterday and Adelphia says they have no plans on internet cable within the forseeable future and SBC/Pac Bell says the same for DSL. I use above ground telephone lines over a long distance from the switching station. I have two phone lines (all in same wire bundle) and would like to add a third but these seem to slow me down also. So I am looking for other alternatives. Can anyone with experience with Satelite give me your viewpoint? Or any other suggestions?

I love playing Tara but it has become impossible twisting songs with such lag in the game now. Also Zann is having trouble with lag also. And my port/gate time when two characters gate at the same time or alone is terrible. It is not my equipment that is at fault.

Thanks Tara and Zann

Check on the pricing of a T1 connection, if you live near a business that has many phone lines most times they use a partial T1 or are paying for an entire T1 when they are not using the full capacity.

T1 run anywhere from $100 to $400 dollars a month depending on the area you are in

With sharing, it is dependant upon the area and phone provider (most allow it), you will be able to get an improved network connection and still be able to run multiple computers

Tara, have you tried contacting major internet providers like earthlink or some other one? I know that they provide dsl or even cable connection (usually dsl) even if your phone company doesnt. Not positive about this info but it may be worth checking out.

Krung

i have heard that satellite is not good for online gaming for some reason,talked to someone in game...barbrella?babsor?babsor i think it was...anyway,i was told that the satellite,even though it is very fast for normal internet,seems to cause alot of lag for some reason...i suspect there is a slight dly from satellite to dish vs satellite to the type of dish used by a major co. such as a tv station,(i am approx. 10 secs behind cable on tv progamming)...i can not say whether this is because of loc or what..just what i have been told.........

Satellite are not good for online gaming because it creates alot of lag due to the way that the packets gets transfer. It also depends on the loc of the sat at any given time. I don't know if anyone has tried having someone send you any files using sats but the kps are not stable at all.

Thanks all. T-1 line is too far away to connect to. I will try Earthlink. I live 100 miles north of LA and in between are mountains (some above 1400 feet) and lots of desert. Palmdale and Lancaster are nearest big cities and they are like 40 miles away. I don't have the kind of money needed to get a cable run just for me. And most providers want like 100 people to run DSL or cable. Mojave is too small.

Tara

Archived