Resistances explained

Martok

Our very own Batir managed to get some information from Hanse regarding upcoming changes to resistance:

I decided to try getting some info out of Hanse on some of the changes coming up. Here's what I was able to weazel out of him:

Batir: How is stacking of resistances going to happen? Will wearing a shirt and plate tunic do anything? (Yeah, silly me, I saw hats having resistances and assumed all clothes would)

Hanse: Resistances are not on clothes. Resistances are on armor, jewelry, and weapons. This gives you a total of 9 slots resistances can be equipped in.

Armor: Six slots

Jewelry: Two slots (ring and bracelet...we didn't want to make male characters feel they need to wear necklaces instead of gorgets and earrings)

Weapon: One slot

Total: Nine

Anything you wear is applied to your player object and used for comparison. The exception is stuff that applies to the weapon only (like self repair).

Batir: A little more clarification on that? Are the numbers added, averaged, weighted average like now, or what?

Hanse: All pieces of equipment that have resistances total up on the player. They do not average. If you wore a platemail chest with 5% physical resist and a gorget with 3% physical resist, you would have a total of 8% physical resistance.

Batir: And hit locations?

Hanse: Hit location was removed for AoS.

Batir: Okay, and how are these resistances really gonna work?

Hanse: Resistances are the final word on any damage. They affect all damage types equally. IE: If you have 50% resist, you take half damage from energy bolt damage. It's very simple how it works.

If I smack you with a 100% physical weapon and you have 50% physical resist, you take half damage.

Batir: You said clothing doesn't have resistances, but I see the web site shows hats...

Hanse: You can't wear helmets over hats. Hats are considered armor, now. I know I'm going to look stylish fighting monsters with my feathered magical hat on.

Batir: So what's the max of any resistance I can have? Will luck and the other modifiers be the same?

Hanse: We've debated maximum resistances and settled on 70%, I believe. You can exceed that number, but the resistance will only apply up to 70%.

Luck has a high max. It's around 900 or 1200 or something like that. It has diminishing returns the higher you go, but is very powerful when getting magical items. It only affects items dropped as loot from slain creatures.

Batir: And how will the Magic Resist skill work with all this?

Hanse: Magic resist is very valuable. It protects you versus non-damaging spells. I had a lich cast weaken on me for 20 points the other day. It caused my wearables to become unwearable (not strong enough to use). In essence...it knocked my pants off.

You get seriously wacked if you don't have magic resist in AoS combat.

Batir: I don't see anything about the Dexterity penalties in any of the screen shots of the armor mouse overs...

Hanse: Dexterity penalties were removed.Thanks a lot to Batir for gathering this info, and to Hanse for handing it out to us!