The deception deepens

Triston

It was a cold night, even for this late in the fall season.  The true fingers of the cold though laid within the wind, which was howling feircly.  Blue grey clouds raced across the sky as though there was somewhere important to be, as though there was something they had never seen before lying over the horizon.  On the balcony of an impressive castle sat a man in shadow dark platemail, a cloak of crimson red all that protected him from the elements.  Suddenly from seemingly the sky a shadow fell, landing without a noise behind the man.  He neither turned nor acknowlaged it, he simply stood on the ledge, looking over the bay.  The shadow moved forward, slowly and deliberatly,  but most of all silently.  As soon as it was within an arms length the man spun,  and with a silver arc moved a cruel kryss to the intuders chest, smiling beneith his helmet.

"Oh, its mearly you.  Did all goes as planed?"  He asked,  sheathing his weapon and removing his helmet.  Beneith the mass of armour was Triston Lioness, fallen Prince.

"Yes, it is I.  I was mearly assuring myself that our leader was not so lost in his ponderings that he would let his guard down.  There are many that would enjoy seeing you fall, and you seemed so vulnerable just there."  The figure had a femanine voice,  but the concealing shadows kept her from being seen.  She paused a moment, accesing Triston.  "I was forced to fell two guards in taking this, not to mention some rather nasty burns from protective spells.  I will not be able to make a move again for some time, as they could grow suspect of me.  Not that it matters, without this to block our scrying attempts, we will have little need for a spy."  At that she tossed a book upon one of the chairs, then seemed to disapear from thin air, and without a sound.

From the corner steped a tall but thin man, dressed in folded robes.  He spoke shortly and quietly, as though enemies stood not five feet away.  "Shall I lock it into stasis, so that the mages of honor may not find it?"

"Yes.  Then take it to the base of our new allies, they will be able to guard it best."

"But they are meer savages!  It is a powerful artifact and must be treated delicatly!"  Said the mage as he picked up the book.

"There leader is wise as there race goes, he will know better then to let the lessers be near it.  Worry not it will be safer there then here.  They might have been able to follow it this far, and could know the location of our hiding place, we must take it from here immediatly."

"Yes.  I suppose there is truth there.  So be it, I will cloak it then give it to them.  At least this way if they break through my spells of hiding, we will not incure the blunt of there wraith.  It is done."

With that the mage went inside, muttering to himself under his breath.  Triston simply shook his head, and debated what he had done.  The Codex of Honor is a valuable and powerful tome, one which can keep an entire building safe from scrying.  Without scrying our enemies could not be closly watched, but its price had been high.  He had been forced to use his best inside agent to obtain it, and while she had worked undetected, the others would be suspicious of there fellows from now forward.  Even more imporant was the ire of the leadership, they would certianly be quite upset when they found it gone, quite upset indeed.

Will it be worth it?  Only time shall tell...