Runic Teaching Game

Balandar

Community member Truthveyor created a fun game to help players learn Runic. From his forum post

INTRODUCTION: I’ve played Ultima III, IV, V, VIII, IX, UO, and now I’m playing SotA, and I’ve always wanted to learn to read Runic better, so I decided to program a small game to help me with that. I’ve done it now, and it has drastically improved my Runic reading speed, so I decided to improved it and to release it as a community resource for the SotA fans.

GAME DESCRIPTION: It is a small game (about 30 MB size) that teaches you Runic alphabets by having you type the Runic alphabets that appear on the screen. The game will automatically adjust itself to your Runic recognition speed and help you improve Runic reading at your own pace. By playing this game, pretty soon you will be able to read and write in Runic!

lesson-pic-1_zps2akdg9kr.jpg

FREE DOWNLOAD: You can download it for free at the Shroud of the Avatar School fan site I just created: http://sotaschool.weebly.com/ (NOTE: You do not need to have or get a Dropbox account to download from Dropbox.)

SYSTEM REQUIREMENT: Windows XP SP2 or later, Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10. Latest DirectX 9.0c installed

SPECIAL THANKS: This game is made possible by the community resources on Runic, especially http://sotamuseum.com/ by Duke Greagor, and “Learn NB Runic and how it is properly written” by Kacey.

LEAVE YOUR REPLY: The “score” you get from playing this game is the speed you achieve. When I first started, my speed was about 1.1 second per Runic alphabet, but now my speed is 0.47 second. Play this game and post your speed in this thread!! (Can anyone beat my speed??) All joking aside, I’d truly love to know if this game helps you learn to read Runic.

Also, if you experience any problem with this game, or have suggestions, etc., just leave your reply and I’ll try to fix the game.

The latest version of the Runic Game, “Runic Game 1.1” allows you to

1. Select between learning “New Britannia Runic” or “Ultima Runic”

2. Continue playing after the 10th lesson if you wish

3. After every 4 lessons, there is a SPECIAL LESSON in which you are trained in your five slowest Runic alphabets. For example, for me, my five slowest alphabets are z, x, q, p, and g, so the Special Lesson trains me only on these five alphabets in that lesson. Your speed in Special Lessons is not counted toward your average speed calculation for the game, so it does not affect your overall speed score.

Original Post