Brace Yourselves

Martok

Wolfpack is still pushing to hit its release time of November 5th.  If this is true, I would expect to see the game on shelves by the middle of November.  Very nice.

If any of you have been following the Shadowbane Beta war reports like I have, you will no doubt know what a tough atmosphere it will be.  If the Burning Legion can take control of the entire map, unite it under one empire, and then lose everything....the same can happen to us.  

We will have to rethink out Shadowbane strategy upon release of the game.  First, we will have to find out how many T.H.E. people will be joining us.  From there we can start our guild.  Second step,  if we remain small we will be crushed swiftly.  We will need to make allies quicky.  I also suggest we think about pledging ourselves to another Kingdom/Empire that shares similar ideals to our own.  A tidbit I have learned about guild workings.... (Many Bothans died to bring us this information.....errrr wait a minute...thats for Galaxies!)  

When a guild builds a city, they can decide whether to have that city open or closed...meaning that you don't invite people to your guild....people simply PLEDGE themselves to your guild.  They basically invite themselves.  Of course we can have a closed city, and invite people one on one....but then we remain small.  Small in Shadowbane means destroyed city.  Just a suggestion.

Well, here ends my mega post on shadowbane.  I have too much SB knowledge and jargon crammed in my head....too much to try to post and make sense out of.  Everyone go to the shadowbane site and go to the few stores that are selling the pre game.  Pregame thingy costs ten bucks and gives you a SB movie, wallpaper, and secret unlock codes that allows you to play the restricted races.  It also gives you the ten dollars back when SB comes out.

We need to play on a roleplay server if they make one.

There are going to be three servers.  North America, Europe, and Asia.  Each server will be divided into many different lands.  These lands will all have different characteristics.  Perhaps one is mostly desert, while another is mostly a frozen wasteland.  

Also remember that you can travel between the different fragments or worlds.  So, in answer to your question, there doesn't appear to be a roleplay server.  I guess we'll have to wait to see what the fragment list says the different characteristics will be.  I would rather not end up in a desert world or something that is a burning wasteland (yes, a burning wasteland will be one of the servers for the Irekei).

Yep, gank city.  There was a story on the boards of how a large group of players banded together to kill a huge psychotic giant (played by the developers).  When the beast was slain, whoever had looted the shield from the giant was to be given a 250k gold award.  The centaur that came forward to claim his prize quickly learned how to run through the wilderness from the fifty other players attempting to kill him and take his gold.  Shadowbane is not a solo game.  Travel in packs.  WELCOME THE ZERG!

Perhaps we should talk about how many people will show, and how consistantly they will play.  If you want to be small, of course you'll need to be part of a larger empire.  The smaller you are, the more you want to be in the center of that empire.  Otherwise you'll become another speed bump on someone elses conquest.  As Martok has mentioned, a stable guild is very important, and stability attracts good players.  

If you wish to be large, then we must have many people dedicating ourselves to playing, recruiting, and building in shadowbane with no real distraction (ie: many mmorg games).  This is to say, it takes our presence to maintain a large guild.   As in all games, alliances are important.  Allies prove good for trading, protection, grouping, information, and wealth.  Strategy of alliances is also important, you never know if an empire or ally may break up with an insurgence.  

Open cities are good for allowing anyone to join.  The bad news is it allows ANYONE to join, even if they don't agree with the guild ethics.  The easiest way around it to allow anyone to join, then review them.  If they don't fit, dump 'em.

If they do, advance them to the next level.  This way, you always know who is part of the guild and who is just there...

This is a common way of recruitment in many games.

If we are going to do this, we should plan ahead.  We should continue with ethical discussions and perhaps include some sort of hierarchy, and base rules.  How organized will we be?

I have NOT given any secret or new information here, just gave a few tidbits of thought.  I have no idea when the game is going to be released.  

--Hothgorn TheBlack--

If I shoot myself in the foot, will I be able to speak when it's in my mouth? :eye:

We also need to be wary of who is going to be promoted to certain status's.  I was reading about a guild who has a spy as a treasure and one day he just up and ran out with all the money leaving the city dry and they ended up being overrun by another guild.  This is definately going to have a "team" atmosphere and we need to start growing our base now.  I know I have a bunch of people from DAoC following to join our guild but from what I've been reading we're going to need alot more to be able to survive.....

As to who gets to control the guild supplies, it will most likely fall to the guild leader or to those we know we can trust from other games. Not the newbies that just join us. Wonder if we can get some people from conradh-na-gaeilge to join us.

Thanks for your advice Hoth.  Glad to see you still around on these boards.  Don't be a stranger! I look forward to when the lift the NDA curtain...expect a phone call from me to find out the good info from you!

As far as the "ruling body" of our guild....Greg (Aeneas) will be the guild leader, but we will have the Oligarchy style (previously decided).  That group will be made up from people that are known to be trustworthy from our other games....people such as Balandar, Wolf, Araton, etc....  Do not fear of us taking l33t IOwNuZ into the guild as our leader....its not going to happen.

I'll look through some old stuff I have in email etc... to find out exactly what we decided way back when.  One thing we have to keep in mind....  We are not the PGoH....we are not the Valhalla Vanguard, or the SLoT.  Those guild structures/ethcis WILL NOT work in shadowbane.  We can't be that strict in our guild membership....or we will fizzle and die.  We can't have ONE controlling person.....or if that person is not on....our guild will crumble.  Alliances will have to be made...and broken.  We will have to start out as a small city state and pledge to another well known (and hopefully large and powerful) kingdom.  We will have our chance in the spotlight.  

As far as playtime:  When Shadowbane comes out I am done with DAoC.  The same with UO.  I will be playing Shadowbane exclusively.  I will be starting back to college this fall and will be working part time (just a few days a week).  I will be moving at the end of this month and will most likely be without a computer till the middle to end of November.  At that time I will be devoting nearly all my freetime to SB.  

I hope we get a good core of people to enter the game (yes Hoth, you ARE joining our guild there!) and we can expand from that.  Lets start a new thread on any futher suggestions.

The best news is we have a core group that can be trusted.  This is much more than many guilds have.  

Trust me on the previously mentioned method of recruitment.  It's open enough to let many through and we still have control.  Open cities = Open commerce, but we will have to invest in guards.  As seen at SB website, the Tree of Life is the life of your town, and ......grumble....can't say.../sigh

What is our list of goals?  --This should be open for unseen reasons.....

There are guilds in existance right now who are already playing in the beta. (once again, no secret).  Some of these guilds are made in the beta. These guilds will be very powerful from the start because of their experience and already existing organization.  We may have to befriend one to get a start.  No worries, guilds of all types and ethics exist.

Oh, and yes, I have been part of several speed bumps, and one really large speed bump.  

--Hothgorn TheBlack

Vet of Defiance

:)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I am most excited....a November release date would mean I could be hooked to net games again before the year is up! Yahoo!

Seriously though, if UBI/WP actually gets SB out when they say they will I think it will be worth the wait.  As its been stated SB will NOT be a walk in the park.  I agree that the key to our sucess will probably lie in numbers.  As the release date approaches all the ins and out of the Lords of Ardan MUST be hammered out.  Starting now however I am asking that any that wish to join the LoA in Shadowbane please join the roster on the shadowbane page.  If you do not know how to do this please send hawk my way at 30174215.  Secondly, to reassure any that may be concerned about the safety of the assets that LoA attains; the leaders of this guild, along with myself, will be made of some of the most intelligent and respected men I have yet to meet in the online world, so please be assured no "spys" will breach our guild.

Other than that I look forward to seeing you all in Aerynth soon enough.

Humbly,

Aeneas Kaolin, LoA

Gregory Meridius, PGoH

Archived