GW2 addons

Martok

From Reddit

'm reposting 1:1 to avoid any confusion, or misrepresentation. I only changed formating and removed the headers/footers of the emails.

Today I read a reposted answer from a support representative on Reddit.

quote: "Basically, anything that touches the game client in any fashion, including but not limited to visuals, overlays, controls, inputs, outputs, automation, sounds, or play experience is going to be referred to as a mod. The Guild Wars 2 software package is meant to be delivered and used AS-IS, with zero flexibility for the end user. If your script changes anything about the game itself, how it's displayed, or how it's played, then it's forbidden 3rd-party software."

Now, I'm really horrified by this, because this covers a lot of software that I'm using.

In particular this covers:
  • any gaming grade equipment (mouses, keyboards, headsets, special equipment)

• any recording or streaming tools like Fraps or Xsplit

• any reasonable graphic card drivers (nvidia in particular)

• any overlay tools (Steam, Enjin, TeamSpeak)

I could go on.

So was this response meant seriously? Are really all these tools forbidden?

I'm actually using a dedicated Windows installation for games, just to avoid issues of this type, but it's really impossible not to violate such broadly defined rules.

So please could I get a clarification?

This is a very interesting question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

As you are aware, we cannot approve or review or "vet" any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I've already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantageover someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out that response. We'll get things clarified so that future responses are consistent with our policies.

Could I get your permission to share this answer? Because I really believe that people would like to have this information.

I think it's ok to share this. I just want to be very clear that:

(1) we don't review or approve programs, and

(2) programs can sometimes contain components that a legitimate player doesn't realize is a cheat element

In the end, it's good to go VERY cautiously with the use of any third-party program, but we appreciate that there are definitely situations when a helpful, non-advantage-giving program is extremely beneficial to players.

EDIT: Removed TL;DR to avoid confusion.

Same as with GW1 and any other game for that matter. TexMod allows you to do texture edits. In GW1 it was used a lot for cartography as there was no way to see how much of a zone you completed.

Having a high resolution and good framerate creates an uneven playing field.

Having a keyboard or mouse with more than the average number of buttons creates an uneven playing field.

Having a good internet connection creates an uneven playing field.

Archived