Gather 'round and listen

Aluim Aster

*Clears his throat forcibly and speaks with a thick elfin accent*

The sky was crying. Only it knew the pain I was feeling on that darkened day. Enough time has passed now and finally I am able to share this chapter in my life with you, my brothers and sisters. So sit near and listen while I tell the tale of my sorrow and light in tandem.

She was my love and she alone could fill the hollowness of my hardened heart. I found her beautiful even more than the stars and the gleam of gold. Her eyes found my soul and now I feel lost. Her name was Kiara, love of my life and mother to my only daughter Amnestra.

I knew not from whence she came but upon her arrival here I know the earth itself must have cried tears of joy. She took me by surprise, I never knew I could need another so much. Now I know not how I still breathe alone. My daughter and duty are my only solace.

She was born of Ithil or so she claimed and of that I knew nothing. The ladies of the moon were a mystery to me to be unraveled like a tangled ball of yarn. She was always so distant when Ithil shown her light upon her and I felt much envy of Menel’s blue eye. At other times however it seemed as though the sky itself had given me its most precious jewel.

We married under the moon’s full light and never had it been so lovely as that night. I walked with her through the heart’s thought itself and our two beings became one. From that she bore a child. A child whose whole self was bound to Ithil and it seems only that I was charged with her care while she visits this earth for it was not long after that Kiara returned to Ithil in totality.

She was taken from us by those that would oppose all that is good. She did not die as most do however. With her last breath she merely ceased to be, her whole self faded into moonlight before my eyes. I felt so powerless to stop it. I could do nothing.

I ask you now to remember her as you will any fallen family member... I ask you now to love those that you have while they still breathe... I tell you this to remind you of the preciousness of life... never forget this... I never will.

This is what we fight for... so that no one should feel such pain again.

• 2 weeks later...