Wizard Epic

Eldoran Nobleheart

This quest is started by talking to Solomen within the Temple of Solusek Ro. Solomen is a human wizard located on the left portion of the temple, third floor, between the two undead knights, one room away from Lord Seafire. The end result of the quest is not known, but it is thought to be a blunt sceptre type weapon with fantastic stats as well as unique particle effects when held. This is the mother of all wizard quests.

Camin can be found at the Vasty Deep Inn within Erudin. To find him inside the Inn, open the front door to the Inn and go up the stairs on your right. Follow the hallway around the second floor and Camin is found behind the first door upon your left. Off the bat, he is normally indifferent or apprehensive to everyone. Hand him the note that was given to you by Soloman and you will receive positive TrueSpirit faction. (Note: Since the patch on 10/03/00, you can no longer keep handing Camin the note and gain faction.. it has been nerfed)

Camin will now reply with -

Camin says, 'So you have met Solomen, eh? He is a man with a wealth of knowledge. It is good to hear he is well.

Now hail Camin and he will respond with this -

Camin says 'Go away! I have no time for you!

If this happens, you can continue with the quest. (Note: Since the patch on 10/03/00, you can no longer keep handing Camin the note and gain faction.. it has been nerfed).

If you have good faction already, you can talk to Camin:

you say, 'What are you searching for?'

Camin says 'Ah! A smart one, I see! If you really wish to know about such a thing, you will have to help me finance my studies. The knowledge I have acquired and researched did not come cheaply.

At this point, hand Camin 1000 platinum and the quest will continue. Some have even reported this as working while being apprehensive to him (confirmed you must do this part of the quest or the next part will result in "I do not do business with your kind."). Doing this will make Camin reply with:

Camin says, 'Good, good, you show a willingness to learn of this with your offer. What I can tell you is that Solusek Ro had four followers who had shown exceptional aptitude in the arts of wizardry. Solusek Ro himself tutored them. He considered them to be like his own children. I know of one who still exists. He goes by the name of Arantir Karondor. He used to specialize in the storing of magic into physical objects. Arantir has been hiding for many, many years and will most assuredly be going by another name, so keep your eyes open. Anyway, be off, I need to continue my research. Return to me if you ever find Arantir Karondor.'

Now to find Arantir Karondor. I honestly have no idea what Verant was thinking when they did this part of the quest. There are zero clues as to who or where this person is and honestly, it's sort of disturbing to me that every other class' quest is straightforward, but still has a very good degree of difficulty. None the less, there is a female NPC vendor in Halas named 'Dargon' that sells a potion called Ro's Breath. She is located in front of the Shaman guild. Purchase this potion from Dargon for the sum of about 900pp to 1100pp depending on your faction and charisma. (**evil races be warned - you ARE KOS to surrounding NPC's. See this page for Halas Guard and Vendor info**). There is also three other known vendors in the world that sell Ro's Breath -

Female Barbarian, Marlyn McMerin (loc -3825, +1665), who is found on the dock shops in Fironia Vie.

Female Iksar shaman vendor, Klok Scaleroot in West Cabilis.

Female coldain dwarf, Hudda, who is found within the bank inside the city of Thurgadin.

You can buy Ro's Breath from any of these vendors but you cannot return it to them. Neither of them will turn into Arantir. However, it is confirmed that you can buy Ro's Breath them, take it to Camin to be stripped of it's charge, and then take it to Dargon. Handing this potion to Dargon in Halas will make her turn into Arantir and the quest will continue.

Now take this potion back to Camin in Erudin and hand it to him. He will reply with the following:

Camin says 'Very interesting... I've seen this work before. Yes, yes! It's the work of Arantir Karondor! Give this back to the person you got it from. Maybe he will have a clue to Arantir's location.'

Your faction standing with Truespirit got better

You gain experience!!

Camin gives you back the potion (it has now been stripped of it's Shield of Lava charge) and you must take it back to Dargon in Halas.

Note: you cannot skip the previous trip to Camin. You absolutely, must hand the potion to Camin. If you try to skip the trip to Erudin, you will get the following message from Dargon: "I didnt request this item, but thank you very much".

Back in Halas, hand the Ro's Breath potion back to Dargon. She will turn into blue robe adorned, Arantir Karondor and reply with:

Dargon says 'So, I've been discovered! You must know Camin - he is one of the only people who could have recognized my work. I have worked very hard to mask my presence here.'

You say, 'hail Arantir Karondor'

Arantir Karondor says 'Before I tell you anything, I require you to help me. Seek a woman named Challice. Give her this letter and then return to me.'

The letter that Arantir hands you is actually a ring called Arantir's Ring. Identifying it reveals: "Item Lore: My love has no bounds." Challice is found in the basement of the Felwithe paladin guild. Once you hand Challice the ring, she will reply with:

Challice says 'Oh yes? Arantir? What a fool he was! the man gave me everything, but for all his intelligence, he could never understand why I was truly with him. It was for his power; he could do anything. But when he mysteriously lost it, he became just another toy. I never loved him. Return this ring to him. He will understand that I have no desire to see him again.'

You gain experience!!

This new ring, when indentified reads: "Item Lore: I never could love a man like you." Take this ring back to Dargon/Arantir in Halas and hand it over. NOTE: When this quest was first introduced, you had to respawn Arantir by handing Dargon another potion. The quest has been fixed to definitely make Arantir spawn once you hand the ring to Dargon. Once you spawn Arantir, then you must hail Arantir to get his attention and go through the following dialogue:

you say, 'Hail Arantir Karondor!'

Arantir Karondor says 'Ah, but it pains my heart to see this. How I could love a women like that is beyond me. And yet, I still do love her. It was on the day I was to ask her to marry me that I lost my powers. When I was about to cast my greatest spell to prove my love to her, my magic failed. She ran out on me that day. But enough of me, do you wish to hear my story?'

you say, 'I wish to hear your story.'

Arantir Karondor says 'I once was one of four true followers of Solusek Ro. So great were the four of us that Solusek Ro himself made us each a special item. We did not know what the others' items were, but we realized that was for our own safety. Each one of us, after receiving the item, began to plot against Solusek Ro. Each of us believed we had enough power to dominate Norrath. Solusek Ro saw this and at the time we needed our powers most, he stripped us of them. Now I know two of the other wizards by name. One was called Sylen Tyrn, the other's name was Demunir Scry. The last wizard was a gnome, but I can't think of his name.

you say, 'What about Sylen Tyrn?'

Arantir Karondor says 'Sylen was a high elf wizard, and like many high elves, he believed himself to be better than others. Because of his birth, he thought he was more noble and more intelligent than anyone else. I heard how met his demise - while flying over a vast area of water, his powers were stripped from him in midflight. He fell and was captured by a rival wizard who specialized in magics of the water. Search for that wizard and you could find a trace of Sylen.

The 'trace' of Sylen Tyrn is found off of Phiningel Autropos deep in Kedge Keep - the Blue Crystal Staff. When this item is identified, the power of Solusek Ro radiates from within.

you say, 'What about Demunir Scry?'

Arantir Karondor says 'Demunir was a human in a rush for power. He was extremely intelligent and resourceful but, unfortunately, was more interested in destructive magic. Hearing of an ancient land, he immediately traveled to it, believing there to be powerful relics left undiscovered there. While exploring, he came upon a dwelling that housed a powerful warrior. Believing himself to be more powerful, he attempted to take this dwelling for himself. While in battle with this warrior, Solusek Ro stole his powers and left him helpless. It is said that Demunir's item is the warrior's most prized trophy.

The Demunir item is the Gnarled Staff found off of Venril Sathir from within Karnor's Castle.

you say, 'What about the gnome?'

if he doesn't reply, say the following..

you say, 'Who is the gnome?'

Arantir Karondor says 'Ah, the gnome I know very little about. I know he was small and crafty, and that he had a brother. His brother's craft was that of making fireworks, and he was the unfortunate victim of one of his own experiments. His firework exploded, leaving his mind diminished in capacity, even for a gnome. I remember others calling him 'Old Stewpot' in jest. I do not know if this is his birth name, but it may help you to locate him. I hear he also stays close to water because of the explosion. You never know when another gnomish invention will go awry. Give him this letter to help motivate him to remember.

The gnome is Kandin Firepot. Kandin can be found in the Southwest region of ButcherBlock Mountains (-1500 +2800) near the ocean. You can hand him the note (when identified it reads - "This item appears to be written in Common Tongue. Item Lore: What is lost must be found.") from Arantir and he will give you the text below:

Kandin Firepot says 'Brother! I have one of those. He's great, but he's dead. His name was Gabstik and he was a really powerful wizard. I still have one of his greatest possesions! You look like you could use it. I've added another thing to my shopping list. I require a dry brittle skin that I can mold or a rare oil found in the planes that I can soak the fuse in. Get me one of these things and I'll trade it for my bother's stick.'

You can do this part of the quest two ways now but it is easier to do it the new way (thank you Verant for realizing our epic quest was nearly impossible).

THE FIRST WAY (the old way and the hard way). Do not attempt to do the quest this way anymore. -

If you have happen to have Cazic's Skin from Cazic Thule in Fear (some may have the skin from before the patch), you can hand it to Kandin and he will reply with the following -

Kandin Firepot says 'Great! This is? What is this for again? Oh yeah, the casing for my firework. Here, you can have this then, oh no, wait. You can't yet. I forgot I needed another part to my firework, and you are exactly the person to get it for me! I need some mistletoe powder. Now, go find some for me! Go, go, go, go! Shoo! Oh, wait! Hold on to my bag for me, please. You can give it back after you've given me what I want.

At this point, Kandin Firepot will give you 'Kandin's Bag'. When identified, the bag comes up with: Item Lore: Warning - Explosive!". Although it is a bag, it cannot be opened. Don't worry about this, continue with the quest.

The mistletoe powder is found within Old Sebilis upon Tolapmulj. Once you have the powder, return to Kandin and hand only the powder to him. Upon handing Kandin the mistletoe powder, he will return to you the Staff of Gabstik. Once he hands you the staff he asks for his bag back. Hand him 'Kandin's Bag' -

Kandin Firepot says 'Great! Give this to Arantir so he knows you've helped me! Hey! Have you seen my lantern anywhere?

THE SECOND WAY (the new way) -

If you hail Kandin instead of handing him the skin, the following is what will happen -

You say, 'hail Kandin Firepot'

Kandin Firepot says 'Hello, there! Don't have time to talk. I'm workin', workin', workin'! Careful! Don't slip in the oil!

You say, 'what oil?'

Kandin Firepot says 'Ah the oil! I recently sent a specially crafted golem to explore through a huge portal to another plane. It's instructions were to collect special oil that I suspect existed in the plane. What I think is the golem broke down. This looks like a good task for one like you. Go see what's wrong with the golem. Here is spare gears of mine incase it's broken. Be careful though, if you put it in wrong it could explode or worse!

This golem is a non-aggro 'broken golem' that is found in the Plane of Fear (-720, -109). Hand the broken golem the golem sprocket -

an enraged golem says 'Error! Malfunction! Destroy!

an enraged golem says 'Warriors like you always bring out the worst in me.'

You now have an enraged golem on your hands that is aggro. The enraged golem can double hit for 400 each, has approximately 150k HP and is not a caster. Flame based spells and lures are most efficient to use in bringing him down. Once he is dead, loot the green oil from his corpse. Take this green oil back to Kandin in the ButcherBlock Mountains.

You say, 'hail Kandin Firepot'

Kandin Firepot says 'Hello, there! Don't have time to talk. I'm workin', workin', workin'! Careful! Don't slip in the oil!

Hand over the oil -

Kandin Firepot says 'Oh wow! You found the oil! Where is the golem? You didn't hurt him did you? I am very fond of him. Anyways, here is your reward a note and staff to give to that guy you were asking me about.

You will now have BOTH the note to take to Dargon/Arantir and the Staff of Gabstik.

Now take this note from Kandin and give it to Dargon in Halas. This will cause Arantir to spawn in the place of Dargon once again. Once Arantir has spawned, hail him and continue -

You say, 'hail Arantir Karondor'

Arantir Karondor says 'Ah yes, you again. Do you have the items? Give me the three you possess and I'll combine them with my own.

At this point, hand Arantir all three staves, the Blue Crystal Staff, the Gnarled Staff, and the Staff of Gabstik. IMPORTANT: Be sure to have an empty slot open in your MAIN inventory before you hand over the 3 staves. That or have a container that can hold a 'giant' item.

Arantir Karondor says 'Here, this pack contains all of our items. You will never be able to open it again, so you must deliver the pack, intact, to Solomen. He will then reward you. Now that I have helped you, leave me in peace.

Now you must go back to Solomen in the Temple of Solusek Ro (not Camin!) and hand him this pack. Upon doing so will result in getting the epic item, Staff of the Four.

Solomen says 'You actually did it! I never would have thought that anyone could have truly followed this path. This is a tribute to your intelligence and patience. Here, take this staff and know that you have made Solusek Ro and all the wizards of the world proud this day.

Archived