Rogue Epic

Eldoran Nobleheart

- DETAILED STEPS -

1. Pickpocket the Stained Parchment Top

(North Kaladim - Founy Jestands)

Travel to the Dwarven city of Kaladim, and head into its northern section. There, locate Founy Jestands outside the bank and pickpocket the "Stained Parchment Bottom" from him.

Getting There

Kaladim is located on the north wall of the Butcherblock Mountains, which are located on the western end of the continent of Faydwer. A great statue of a dwarven king stands astride the city gates, which lead to South Kaladim. Once inside the city, head north through the entry gate, then turn left and head past some shop buildings. Stay to the right wall, and you will find a zone connection to North Kaladim. Once you zone in, head along the passage a short ways until you see the following room:

Founy should always be standing there unless he has recently been killed. (Even if he is trained to another part of the zone, he will walk back to his normal spot immediately.)

Pickpocketing the Parchment

Founy despawns and respawns every game day at 10 am game time. He does NOT always spawn with the "Stained Parchment Top", so you may have to wait, or come back for another visit later. The simplest way to get the parchment piece from him is to pickpocket it, so you should definitely max your pickpocket skill to 200 before attempting to steal the piece.

Killing Founy is another option, but he hits for around 140 and probably backstabs for a lot more -- additionally, many other dwarves in the area will aggro if you attack him, so it can be quite a task to kill him. You're probably better off just pickpocketing him. (If you are level 53 or higher, and he aggroes on you, you can activate one of your defensive disciplines, like Counterattack or Nimble, to defend yourself while you flee the short distance to the zone line.)

As Kaladim is full of dwarves, any players who are KOS in Kaladim will need to use SH to get to Founy. Once you are near him, stand behind him and pickpocket him until you are convinced he does not have the piece (how many attempts you make before you are "convinced" is up to you -- in my opinion, if he doesn't have it after 20 attempts, I'd give up and come back later), or until you pickpocket the piece from him.

It took me 2 trips to Kaladim to get the Stained Parchment Top from Founy. My pickpocket skill was 200 before I attempted to PP him, and he never aggroed on me.

Picture courtesy of Siamese of Rodcet Nife

Founy has other dialogue, but this is the only relevant bit:

You say, 'What note?'

Founy Jestands says 'I don't know what you're talking about, if you know what I mean.' Founy fingers his belt pouch. 'You should leave now, if you know what's good for you. Don't make me sic the crew on you.

2. Pickpocket the Stained Parchment Bottom

(Neriak Third Gate - Tani N`mar)

Travel to the Dark Elf city of Neriak, and head into its deepest region, the Third Gate. There, locate Tani N`mar at the rogue guild and pickpocket the "Stained Parchment Bottom" from him.

Getting There

Neriak is located in the very northeast corner of Nektulos Forest, itself north of East Commonlands on the east side of the continent of Antonica. Neriak is divided into three sub-zones: you must travel through the Neriak Foreign Quarter and then the Neriak Commons to reach the Neriak Third Gate. To get to the rogue guild, enter N3G and head past the cleric guild and pool of water, down to the main part of the city. Angle right as you go through the main gate, and you will see the rogue guild. Enter the rogue guild from the front door, turn right at the bottom of the entry stairs, and then turn right again and follow the path until you see Tani:

Dark Elves are somewhat less friendly than Dwarves, so unless you are yourself a Dark Elf, getting to Tani may be difficult. The easiest way is to get the "Mask of Deception" from the Ghoul Assassin in Lower Guk, which has a right-click effect of "Illusion: Dark Elf" and lets you pass as a Dark Elf in their home city. However, if you cannot acquire a Mask of Deception, or have ruined your faction with one of the Dark Elf factions to the point where you cannot pass through the city safely, you will need to use SH to make your way to Tani.

Pickpocketing the Parchment

Once you are there, simply pickpocket Tani (read the guidelines above in the Founy section for details) until you get the Stained Parchment Bottom. Again, it may take several trips, so stop by whenever you are in the area. It personally took me 4 trips to get the parchment.

Tani says a few things, but the relevant text is:

You say, 'What note?'

Tani N`Mar says 'Oh, you want that piece of paper Stanos was so hot after?' He taps his belt pouch. 'Well, it's mine now, though it looks like ogre scratch to me. You're not getting it, Stanos is not getting it, and Hanns is not getting it. It is MINE! Now, Soandso , scamper off like the dog you are, before I decide I need more practice with these short swords!'

3. Get the Book of Souls

(Plane of Hate)

Travel to the otherworldly Plane of Hate, and find the Book of Souls on the Maestro of Rancor's nightstand. Steal it, and return to Norrath.

Getting There

The Book of Souls is simply sitting on a table in the Plane of Hate. It has a spawn time of 10 hours, so if someone has recently, erm, "acquired" it, you may need to wait a while. Waiting while in the Plane of Hate is not really very safe, as there are a large number of wandering monsters that are very powerful and can even see through your SH ability. The safest way to get to the Book is to travel to Hate with a normal raid party, wait until the raid clears the Maestro's building and kills the Maestro (assuming he's up), and then run upstairs and go get the book. Just click on it to pick it up.

The book can be seen in the following picture, on the table on the right side:

This is the southwest corner of the second floor of the Maestro's building. This picture is facing southwest.

Picture courtesy of Evertorrn Darkheart of Veeshan

4. Combine the Parchments

(Highpass Hold - Stanos Herkanor)

Travel to Highpass Hold, halfway between the cities of Freeport and Qeynos on the continent of Antonica, and locate Stanos Herkanor. Give him the "Stained Parchment Top" and "Stained Parchment Bottom", and he will give you the "Combined Parchment".

Getting There

Highpass Hold is accessible from Kithicor Forest in the east, and the Eastern Plains of Karana in the west. Roughly in the center of the zone is a hidden smuggler's camp; find your way to the Tiger's Roar inn and bar, and outside you will see this:

Circled in red is the location of the secret underwater passage (it's very short, there's no breathing problems) to the smuggler's camp. Swim through it, and follow the path, and you will come to the following area:

On the left is the path leading back to the underwater area, and to the right is the small cavern where Stanos is located.

Spawning Stanos

However, it's not that simple. Normally, Stanos never spawns -- you must deal with Anson McBale to get him to spawn. Anson is located in the same room that Stanos spawns in:

But again, it's not that simple. Anson himself is not always up: he has a placeholder, confusingly enough called "a smuggler", just like all the other "a smuggler" NPCs in the camp (there are around a dozen). Anson's placeholder will be standing exactly where Anson is in that picture, and he will con blue to anyone around level 50. The other smuggler, standing behind him, will con green (you can see this irrelevant smuggler in the picture above).

A level 60 warrior with epic weapons and gear from the Temple of Veeshan cannot reasonably solo Anson's placeholder, though said 60 warrior and a 51 rogue can kill him fairly easily. The simplest method is to have the level 60 warrior pull the placeholder into the yard outside Anson's room, and run across the yard to the ramp that leads up to a ledge overlooking High Keep. The placeholder CAN get stuck in pathing in the yard, so make sure he follows you all the way across. Once he does, jump down off the ledge, run to the High Keep entrance, and wait. The smuggler will eventually path to there, and you can fight him and kill him. The High Keep guards will not assist the smuggler, nor will they assist you, so it's a straight fight. (If your faction with High Keep guards is bad, however, they may attack you on general principle, so you'll need to pull the smuggler to somewhere else. Keep in mind that there are other blue smugglers in the area, and fighting them all can be difficult, not to mention the fact that you lose faction with Anson for killing them! This is the reason you want a level 60 to pull the smuggler; if you aggro all the blue smugglers, you have to fight all of them. You could bring an enchanter, too...) The Anson spawn has an 18 minute spawn time, and you may need to kill the smuggler multiple times to get Anson to spawn.

Once you have Anson spawned, there are two ways to get Stanos to spawn.

Method One

The first method is to walk up to Anson and have the following short conversation:

You say, 'I need to see Stanos'

Anson McBale says 'This better be important.

This will cause Stanos to spawn immedately. I don't know what the minimum faction is for this to work, but I do know that if you are indifferent or better to Anson, Stanos will spawn. Anson, Stanos, and all the other smugglers are on the CarsonMcCabe faction, and the easiest way to raise that faction is to kill the orcs and gnolls that live in Highpass, and turn in their scalps to Captain Ashlan and Captain Orben, respectively. You can also kill the pickclaw goblins that live in High Keep's basement, and turn in their left ears (4 at a time, I believe) to Captan Bosec in High Keep.

If your faction with Anson isn't high enough to spawn Stanos this way, you'll need to do...

Method Two

The second method to get Stanos to spawn can be done regardless of your faction (well, unless you're KOS, then it's a bit difficult obviously), but is more work. Travel to the Qeynos Aqueduct System beneath the city of Qeynos, and find Malka Rale. She will give you "Stanos's Pouch", which you can then give to Anson, causing Stanos to spawn. BE CAREFUL DOING THIS! If you are standing on Stanos's spawn point when you give the pouch to Anson, Stanos will not spawn, so you should stand behind Anson, preferably on the table in the corner, when you hand him the pouch.

To get to Malka Rale's room, enter the QAS from the secret entrance outside the gates of Qeynos. Once you zone into the QAS, follow the path shown on the map below:

The gray sections of the map lead off to other, irrelevant areas.

Malka's room looks like this:

In the left picture above, we see the room where Malka spawns. Highlighted is her placeholder, "a courier". DO NOT KILL THE COURIER! He will despawn around 9pm game time, and Malka will spawn at 10pm game time, every game day (Malka despawns around 7am). Once Malka spawns, have the following conversation:

You say, 'Hail, Malka Rale'

Malka Rale says 'Whew! I thought you were one of Hanns' goons. These sewers are a mess, you never know what is going to turn up next. I really wish I could get out of here.

You say, 'I will help'

Malka Rale says 'Ok! I am trusting you. Take this pouch to Vilnius in West Karana. Last word I had from him, he was hanging out near one of the bandit camps. Be careful, since he does not know you. Just give him the pouch, and tell him I was.. delayed. While you are doing that, I will be thinking of a way to get out of this slimehole. With any luck, the Circle will learn the pouch is out of Qeynos, and will assume I got away. That means they won't be looking for me here.

Malka then gives you an item called "Stanos' Pouch", which can be placed inside of other containers (i.e. it is not itself a container). It appears to have a right-click effect of "Summon: Throwing Daggers", but it has 0 charges and cannot be recharged.

Give this pouch to Anson McBale to make Stanos spawn. BE CAREFUL DOING THIS! If you are standing on Stanos' spawn point when you hand in the pouch, Stanos will immediately despawn! You should stand on the table behind Anson when you give him Stanos' Pouch.

Talking to Stanos

In either event, once Stanos spawns, you can have the following conversation:

You say, 'Hail, Stanos Herkanor'

Stanos Herkanor says 'Ah, the pouch. This is the first step Anson. The Circle has to be upset having this taken right out from under them. That speaks well of the person who did the taking. Hanns must be even more furious now .

Anson McBale says 'Vilnius has always had a good eye for talent. I think we can trust this one.

Stanos Herkanor says 'I tend to agree Anson. We could make a deal. I have a blade I won't use anymore, and you have those fine looking daggers Vilnius gave you. Of course, you would have to do something for me first. Let me tell you my story, then you decide.

You say, 'Tell me your story'

Stanos Herkanor says 'Johann Krieghor was the leader of the Circle and I was his second-in-command. He made a dark bargain with a Teir'dal General. The Circle was to assassinate Joren, the high elf ambassador to Qeynos. Had the plot worked, it would have weakened the alliance between high elves and humans, and possibly caused a war between the two powers. In either case, the Teir'Dal would have profited greatly by this event, and all others would have suffered. I could not stand by and let this happen, but Johann would not be deterred, for the Teir'Dal had promised him much. I had no choice but to kill Johann and the Teir'Dal agent. I made it look like they offed each other, and then I hid the tools.

You say, 'What tools?'

Stanos Herkanor says 'To allow the assassin to slay a prince, and fight his way back out, a fell blade was crafted. It was small enough to conceal under a garment and yet large enough to strike a mortal blow through armor. Aided by vile Teir'Dal enchantments, it is much more fearsome than it appears. I would glady rid myself of it, but I fear I can not until I clear my name with Hanns.

You say, 'I will clear your name'

Stanos Herkanor says 'I need proof that what I say about Johann is truth, so that Hanns may forgive me. YOU can gather that proof for me. First, travel to Kaladim and Neriak, and there, upon the persons of the rogue guildmasters, you should find that which I seek, two parts of a document I recovered from the dead agent. I entrusted one to Founy, but that trust is gone, and Founy would betray me to Hanns were I to attempt to reclaim it. Tani N'mar has the other, which he should not possess, and keeps it only to spite me, not knowing its real import. Steal them both, and bring them back to me. And don't let anyone follow you! If I am not around, tell Anson you want to see me.

Combining the Parchment

Lest we forget why you have to do all this in the first place, the point of coming to HHP is to give Stanos the two parchment pieces you pickpocketed off the rogue trainers in steps 1 and 2. Simply give Stanos the "Stained Parchment Top" and the "Stained Parchment Bottom" at the same time:

Stanos Herkanor says 'Excellent! With this document I can..' . 'Damnation! Curse my tired old mind, I forgot that I could not read the document. It is written in some obscure code or language. I can't decipher it, but I know someone who can. Seek out one called Eldreth, an Erudite who used to do work for me. I know not where he may be found these days, only that he will not be found in Erudin, as they want his head for some misdeed in the past. Give him the complete parchment, and tell him I sent you. He owes me.

Your faction standing with HighpassGuards got better.

Your faction standing with CarsonMcCabe got better.

Your faction standing with MerchantsofHighpass got better.

Your faction standing with CorruptQeynosGuards got better.

Your faction standing with TheFreeportMilitia got better.

You gain party experience!!

In return, you receive faction hits, experience, and the "Combined Parchment".

5. Begin the Translation

(Lake Rathetear - Eldreth)

Travel to Lake Rathetear, and find Eldreth in the tower on the northeast island of the lake. Give him the "Combined Parchment", plus 100pp and two unstacked bottles of milk for payment so that he will translate it.

Getting There

Lake Rathetear is located south of the Southern Plains of Karana, and west of Rathe Mountains. Once you are in the zone, head to the northeast island which is located approximately at (+2600, -500). On the island is a large tower, inside of which you will find Eldreth:

Beginning the Translation

Talk to Eldreth, and you will have the following conversation:

You say, 'Hail, Eldreth'

Eldreth says 'Go away! I'm busy! I don't have time for scoundrels like you! Leave me alone or I shall, um..turn you into, er, a fish or something! That is what us powerful wizards do to those who annoy us! Yes, that is it. A fish! Did that sound scary enough?

You say, 'That was scary'

Eldreth says 'Ha! I knew it. I could see you trembling! Everyone fears an angry wizard and nobody wants to be a fish. I know I detest fish, it is always fish fish fish around here. Fish cakes, fish stew, fish wine, I am sick of fish. But alas, while I am a powerful wizard, I am also a poor one. Oh well, good things come to those who wait. So, why are you here, Soandso ?

You say, 'Stanos sent me'

Eldreth says 'Stanos? Stanos Herkanor? I thought he was long dead. He nearly got me killed, in any case. What does the old fool want of me now?

You say, 'He wants you to translate this parchment.'

Eldreth says 'Ah, codes are my specialty! It's what I did for the Circle before Hanns took over. But the Fox is wrong. I owe him nothing! As a fact, he owes me! He wants this translated - he will have to pay!

You say, 'I will pay you.'

Eldreth says 'Aye, pay, and pay you must. I need 100 platinum pieces to begin my work. This tower is old and drafty and it will take that much to make it bearable. And while you're at it, I need something else. I am very busy here and have no time to shop, so bring me back a couple bottles of milk along with your very large bag of platinum, and I will translate anything you wish at that time.

Give him the "Combined Parchment", 100 platinum pieces, and 2 bottles of milk. (Do NOT stack the bottles of milk together; make sure they are SEPARATE when you hand them in. It is not known whether this matters, but no one has volunteered to test it so far.) Eldreth says the following:

Eldreth looks at you, obviously expecting more. Did you forget the milk?

Eldreth says 'Hmm, interesting. This document is not only encoded, but written in a very obscure language. From what I can gather, it's a variant of elder Teir'dal, but not one I've encountered. I can not fully translate this, but I know one who can. Find Yendar and give him this

Your faction standing with OrderofThree got better.

Your faction standing with BloodSabers got worse.

Your faction standing with GuardsofQeynos got better.

Your faction standing with OpalDarkBriar got worse.

You gain experience!!

In return, you receive faction hits, experience, and the "Scribbled Parchment".

6. Continue Translating

(Steamfont Mountains - Yendar Starpyre)

Travel to the Steamfont Mountains on Faydwer, and find Yendar Starpyre roaming the zone. Give him the "Scribbled Parchment" to translate.

Getting There

The Steamfont Mountains are accessible from Lesser Faydark in the west, and lead to the gnomish city of Ak'anon at the south end of the zone. Druids of an appropriate level may also teleport to Steamfont.

Yendar roams the zone, though his usual path seems to be from the entrance to the minotaur caves in the northeast, southwest past the windmills, and all the way down toward the druid portal ring.

If Yendar is not up, you can go to Tobon Starpyre (pictured above right) in the Library Mechanimagica (AKA the mage/wizard/enchanter guild) in Ak'anon and say to him, "Who is Yendar?" This will cause Yendar to spawn out in Steamfont, however reports vary on whether or not you can do this immediately after Yendar despawns or if you have to wait a while, or whether it actually works at all (no one has yet verified it). Tobon replies:

You say, 'Who is Yendar?'

Tobon Starpyre says 'Oh, he is my older brother. Used to be the leader of the Eldritch Collective. Then he founded the Observers, a pretty good piece of work. Went off his rocker a long while back, though. Became obsessed with Innoruuk and the Teir'dal. Stays away for days at a time, nobody knows where he has been. Mother still worries about him, asked me to keep an eye on him. But he is a grown gnome, and with his mastery of the art, has little to fear in this world or others. But if you are seeking him, I would look outside Ak'Anon, in the Steamfonts. That is where he makes his home these days.

Dealing with Yendar

Yendar will not stop when you hail him, though he will speak (and he will stop once you say the second line):

You say, 'Hail, Yendar Starpyre'

Yendar Starpyre says 'Hail, traveler! I sense you did not simply chance upon my isolation here, but are instead seeking me for something.

You say, 'Can you translate this document?'

Yendar Starpyre says 'Oh, if it is written in Elder Teir'Dal, most likely I can translate it. I will be happy to try, in any case. Let me see it, please.

Now give him the "Scribbled Parchment":

Yendar Starpyre says 'I say, this is indeed a challenge. This is written in what I'm sure is the language of the High Priesthood of Innoruuk. I've often wished I could read this, but I have never had the key to unlock the language. Take this for now.

You gain party experience!!

Yendar gives you "Tattered Parchment":

Continue conversing with Yendar:

You say, 'What key?'

Yendar Starpyre says 'In the Plane of Hate, where dwell Innoruuk and his minions, there is a tome. This tome is called the Book of Souls.

You say, 'What is the Book of Souls?'

Yendar Starpyre says 'The Book of Souls chronicles all the lives Innoruuk has tainted over the years. It is in the care of the Maestro of Rancor. I can use this tome as a basis for my translation, if you return it and the note to me. An experienced practitioner in the art of non-detection should be able to snatch it from its resting place, don't you think, Soandso ?

Refer to step 3 above for information on acquiring the Book of Souls.

7. Kill Renux Herkanor

(Steamfont Mountains - Yendar Starpyre and Renux Herkanor)

Give the "Tattered Parchment" and "Book of Souls" to Yendar Starpyre in Steamfont Mountains. He will translate the parchment, but it will immediately be stolen from him by Renux Herkanor. Kill her and take the parchment.

Getting There

See section 6 above for information on finding Yendar.

The Final Translation

Give the "Tattered Parchment" and "Book of Souls" to Yendar. He will say:

Yendar Starpyre says 'My, this is quite a large list! Yes, I can use the names and dates recorded here to help me understand the script. It should be a simple matter now. A moment, please. Aha, yes, there we go. Traslated as best I can! I do hope you're not involved in what is described here, as it is quite fiendish. Oi! You, woman! Give that back! Soandso , that woman there took your letter! I think I should leave you to discuss it with her. Best of luck!

At this point, a human female named Renux Herkanor will be standing very nearby. You need to kill Renux.

This is not a simple matter; Renux is a level 50 rogue who wields a weapon called Trochilic's Skean. It is a dagger that procs Clockwork Poison, a stun/DoT that is very deadly. There are two ways to kill Renux:

Bring 25 people and mob her. She'll die relatively easily, but you may take a few casualties.

Bring a group consisting of yourself (the rogue), a druid, an enchanter, a warrior, a cleric, and another person (preferably another rogue). The druid will snare Renux, and kite her in large circles around the zone. The druid should KEEP snaring her, to make sure that Renux's aggro stays on the druid (whom she cannot reach) instead of on the others. The enchanter should Tash Renux, the rogues and warriors should beat her down, the cleric should keep everyone alive (in case Renux does get off a few hits), and the druid should... well... keep snaring and DoTing Renux. Renux appears to have somewhere upwards of 20,000 hit points, so she can take several minutes to kill with this method, but as long as you all start at full mana, you should be fine.

There are certainly other methods of killing her, but these are relatively simple. I know of one rogue who did this step with only himself (52 rogue), a 58 enchanter, and a 60 ranger. The enchanter chain-tashed Renux while the ranger snared her; then the ranger and rogue beat Renux to death while she chased the enchanter (the Tashan line of spells have a pretty large amount of aggro, and cast very quickly).

Renux gives the following faction hits: -CircleOfUnseenHands, -CorruptQeynosGuards, -KaneBayle, +MerchantsofQeynos, +GuardsofQeynos. Once Renux is killed, she says:

Renux Herkanor says ' Tell Hanns I tried, and will love him always. Tell Father I will save a seat in Hell for him!

This means, in case you care, that Renux is Stanos' daughter. (Interestingly, Renux can also be found at the rogue guild in Qeynos, along with the aforementioned Hanns.)

Loot the "Translated Parchment" from Renux's corpse:

The Translated Parchment is a book that can be opened and read:

Picture courtesy of Kilaytec Dreemdancer of Rallos Zek

The text of the book is as follows:

T'kar:

We are ready for you to move into the next phase of the plan.

I have read your thoughts on the x'kanta Johann, and his chosen tool, Stanos. Johann is a willing pawn, and will serve us well, for greed is yet another facet of Innoruuk's power.

Stanos should also work out well, he is quite formidable, though I understand he does not yet know he has been chosen to actually carry out the task. Watch him well when the time comes, but I agree with your judgment.

Joren will be in Qeynos the entire month, so you have ample time to s'ktkar your task. Enclosed are the tools you will give to the Human x'kanta.

The blade is a gift from Innoruuk himself, forged in his temple and imbued with rage. Be sure to recover it after the mission is complete, it is much too powerful to leave in the hands of those we intend to il'kaash in the future. Combined with Stanos' skill, Joren and his guards should fall easily.

The Guise has been handcrafted my our Master Coercer and should allow the wearer to pass undetected as Koada'dal, thus allowing the assassin to gain entry into the Ambassador's quarters. Luckily, it shall be a human transforming himself into that zm'rina form.

Be sure to eliminate all the human x'kanda you have recruited, and have no fear of the repercussions, for the Circle of Unseen Hands is no threat to us here in Neriak.

I have spoken with your master Tani N'mar and he assures me that his group of x'kantar will aid us if need be.

GENERAL RALD VGHERA

Notes:

The text above is a character-for-character copy of the words in the screenshots.

The italicized words are presumably Tier'dal (Dark Elf) language words that Yendar was not able to translate. Note that your language skill is irrelevant when it comes to reading this document.

The word "my" in paragraph 6 is a typo and probably was supposed to be "by".

Renux will also drop a piercing weapon called the "Jagged Diamond Dagger," which you should also loot -- it's one of the items you will need to turn in to Stanos in order to get Ragebringer! Renux also drops two pieces of Ravenscale armor (if you're lucky, she'll drop the RS Mask, which has a permanent effect of See Invisible -- very useful) and, as mentioned before, Trochilic's Skean. The Skean is a good weapon, but it is NODROP -- personally, I let one of my party members (the warrior) have it, to thank her for helping.

The Jagged Diamond Dagger has the following stats:

Item: Jagged Diamond Dagger

Type: Piercing

Damage/Delay: 9/22

Stats: +9 DEX

Special Attributes: MAGIC ITEM, LORE ITEM

Slot(s): RANGE, PRIMARY, SECONDARY

Weight: 1.7

Size: SMALL

Class: ROG

Race: ALL

Trochilic's Skean has the following stats:

Item: Trochilic's Skean

Type: 1H Slashing

Damage/Delay: 10/25

Stats: +5 PR

Special Attributes: MAGIC ITEM, LORE ITEM, NODROP

Slot(s): SECONDARY

Weight: 1.7

Effect: Clockwork Poison (stun/DoT)

Size: MEDIUM

Class: WAR RNG BRD ROG

Race: HUM BAR ELF DEF HEF DWF TRL OGR HFL GNM IKS VAH

8. Return to Stanos

Return to Highpass Hold, and give the "Translated Parchment" to Stanos Herkanor.

Getting There and Spawning Stanos

See section 4 above for information on reaching, and spawning, Stanos Herkanor.

Give Stanos the Parchment

Give the "Translated Parchment" to Stanos. He says:

Stanos Herkanor says 'Let me see what you have here. Aha, so that's who.. yes, yes! There is one more thing I need you to do. This document tells me who the originator of the plot really was. His name is General V'ghera, which is interesting, as Anson's men have spotted him in Kithicor recently. He will not be easy to get to, but if you give this box to one of his many aides, the General will HAVE to come to investigate. You see, this box used to contain the tools crafted for the assassination. When he arrives, kill him! I need any documents you find on him - with luck it will be enough evidence to convince Hanns that what I say is true. Bring any documents or dispatch cases you find, along with those blades Vilnius made you work so hard for, and we will make a trade.

You gain experience!!

Stanos then gives you the "Sealed Box":

9. Kill General V`ghera

(Kithicor Forest - General V`ghera and his aides)

Travel to Kithicor Forest. Find the house full of evil Dark Elves, and give one of them the "Sealed Box". General V`ghera will spawn. Kill him and take his pouch.

Getting There

Kithicor Forest is directly adjacent to Highpass Hold. It is also west of West Commonlands, and south of the halfling city of Rivervale. The house full of Dark Elves is located on the east side of a small hill, at coordinates (+800, +2400).

The house, looking through the front door. Outside you can see some low-level ghouls and skeletons guarding the place. This shot was taking during the day. At night, there are also higher-level undead (35+) guarding the house.

Note that the mobs named "Tasi V`ghera" and "Ioltos V`ghera" are NOT GENERAL V`GHERA!!! They merely have the same surname -- probably his siblings or cousins or something. In the center is a female Dark Elf in a blue robe -- that is Coercer Q`ioul. Sometimes she will be wearing a green robe with brown trim.

Spawning the General

The Dark Elves in the house are KOS to everyone. They are also all level 55+, and are highly dangerous. If you give the "Sealed Box" to any of them, General V`ghera will immediately spawn inside the house (and he will probably kill you). General V`ghera is level 63, casts several dangerous spells, and hits for over 200 damage. He also has around 30,000 hit points.

As a result, the best way to kill him is to first clear out the house so that there is only one DE left. A pair of level 60 rangers are best for this, since they can manage to pull, one at a time, the inhabitants of the house. The one you should leave behind is Coercer Q`ioul, who is an enchanter.

You will need a force of around 30 people to kill the General safely. It should be a good mix of tanks, nukers, healers, etc. This force should begin assembling at the Highpass Hold zone border area (in Kithicor) at around midnight game time. The reason for this is so that by the time it is 8 am in game, all of the wandering undead in Kithicor will have despawned, and your rangers will be able to start individually pulling the Dark Elves from the house, to your waiting raid party, who will dispatch them. The rangers, if they are high enough level, can actually start doing this before the undead despawn, since they can simply bring the undead with them (none of the wandering undead in Kithicor are particularly powerful, and are no threat to a large party of level 50+ people).

Once the DE house is cleared (EXCEPT for Coercer Q`ioul, or whichever DE you choose to leave behind -- we used Q`ioul, so I will refer to her from now on), everyone in the party should move to the road north of the DE house, at approximately +1100, +2600. Be sure that they do not run near the DE house on their way there. The party should then buff up and get ready to fight.

At this point, only Coercer Q`ioul (and her enchanter pet) should be inside the house. The rogue who has the Sealed Box should move to the large tree stump a few hundred feet east of the house (the stump is also slightly downhill from the house), and stand near it, with Sneak and Hide turned on. Now, you need a monk, who can pull Q`ioul from the house, to the rogue. The monk will need to have See Invisible to know where to Feign Death. Once the monk has FDed, and Q`ioul turns around and starts heading to the house, the rogue should IMMEDIATELY give her the box. Doing so will break Hide, but it will NOT break Sneak, so Q`ioul should not see you, since you will be behind her.

As soon as she receives the box, General V`ghera will spawn AT THE HOUSE. A ranger should be waiting there to pull V`ghera back to the raid party. The rogue, having turned in the box, should reactivate Hide, and head to the raid to join in killing the General.

Once the General is dead, loot the "General's Pouch" off his corpse. This pouch, like Stanos' Pouch, is NOT a container, so you may put it safely inside a backpack. The General will RARELY also drop the "Cazic Quill". If he does, congratulations! You are DONE WITH THE QUEST -- you should now have the General's Pouch, the Cazic Quill, and the Jagged Diamond Dagger to give to Stanos (see step 10, below). However the reported drop rate for the Quill is roughly 1 in 10, so don't expect him to drop it very often. (If he does not drop the Quill, refer to the "Cazic Quill Subquest" section below for details on the alternate method of obtaining the Quill.)

A common practice is for several rogues to have a "General party", which basically means that they all turn in their Sealed Boxes one at a time, causing multiple General V`gheras to spawn. Once the first general is dead, the next rogue moves to the monk's FD point, the monk pulls Q`ioul again, the ranger pulls V`ghera again, and you kill him again. Repeat this process until all rogues present have their Pouches. (Note that if you take a long while, the nightly undead may start spawning, so your group will have to keep an eye on them -- a common practice is to have the enchanters keep the undead mezzed during the General fight, so that the undead can be picked off afterward.)

If Coercer Q`ioul aggroes on someone, you will not be able to give her the Sealed Box until she loses aggro. The usual method is to have an enchanter charm her so that she is aggroed on nobody except the enchanter, and then to mez and mem blur her over and over until it takes, and she forgets what she's doing. If you kill her, then no other rogues get to turn in their boxes until the Dark Elves start respawning (1 real time day)! (Boo hoo.) However once all the rogues are done with their boxes, you may freely kill her, for she almost always drops the Robe of the Ishva, and sometimes drops the Robe of the Kedge (see the "Cazic Quill" subquest, summarized at top and detailed below).

10. Ragebringer

Give "General's Pouch", "Jagged Diamond Dagger", and "Cazic Quill" to Stanos Herkanor in Highpass Hold. In return, Stanos will give you the Rogue Epic Weapon - Ragebringer.

Getting There and Spawning Stanos

See section 4 above for information on reaching, and spawning, Stanos Herkanor.

Give Stanos the Items

Give the "General's Pouch", "Jagged Diamond Dagger", and "Cazic Quill" to Stanos. He says:

Stanos Herkanor says 'Did you forget something?

Stanos Herkanor says 'Did you forget something?

Stanos Herkanor says 'Very well done. I leave now to confront Hanns with this evidence. Even so, it will not be easy to regain his trust. That is why I need those daggers, in case all else fails. Bristlebane grant me luck - I can no longer live like a hunted dog. In any case, I am grateful for your aid. Take this wretched blade, I can bear it no longer. I must warn you, I feel it carries Innoruuk's curse; all who are near it learn the meaning of hate. Ironic, isn't it? You went to all that work to redeem yourself for a rapier, yet the true reward came when you redeemed another. . Good luck, Soandso , for much as I, you will need it.

And he gives you Ragebringer. Ironically, in his last speech, he refers to the Burning Rapier quest, which you would have to do in order to complete your epic... IF they hadn't horribly gimped the epic quest! (See "Why The Quest Is Gimpy" below for details.)

Well, that's it. That's Ragebringer.

- CAZIC QUILL SUB-QUEST -

If, as described in step 9 above, General V`ghera does not drop the Cazic Quill, then you will need to do a separate sub-quest to acquire the Cazic Quill.

In the Western Plains of Karana there is (sometimes) a Barbarian named Vilnius the Small. If you give him the "Robe of the Kedge", the "Robe of the Ishva", the "Robe of the Oracle", and the "Shining Metallic Robes", he will give you the "Cazic Quill".

1. Get the Robe of the Oracle

(Oracle of K'Arnon - Ocean of Tears)

Kill the Oracle of K'Arnon in the Ocean of Tears, and loot the Robe of the Oracle off his body; or, purchase the RotO from another player.

Getting There

The Ocean of Tears is only accessible by either taking the boat from East Freeport, or the Butcherblock Mountains. The Freeport boat passes right by where the Oracle stands, so it's much easier to start from that side of the ocean. The Oracle is standing on the north side of the goblin island in the Ocean of Tears, and he is located at approximate coordinates (-500, -8800). If you go to the dock on the Sisters Island, the Oracle's island is visible across the channel (the location of the Oracle is circled in red):

The K'Arnons, standing together:

Individual shots:

Kill the Oracle

The Oracle is a level 40 wizard, who is guarded by the Guardian of K'Arnon, a level 40 (paladin? warrior?). Any 50+ group will not have any problem killing the Oracle; I myself did it with one 51 rogue (me), one 58 enchanter, and the 60 druid that the enchanter was botting. The enchanter mezzed the Guardian, then chain-stunned the Oracle while the druid nuked and dotted, and I backstabbed. As soon as I'd looted the Robe of the Oracle from the Oracle's corpse, the druid ported us out.

The other method to get a Robe of the Oracle is to buy one from another player. The Robe usually sells for under 1,000 platinum. Killing the Oracle is so trivial that it's usually not worth spending the time and money trying to find someone who is selling a RotO.

2. Get the Shining Metallic Robes

(Ghoul Arch Magus - Lower Guk)

Kill the Ghoul Arch Magus in Lower Guk, and loot the Shining Metallic Robes off his body; or, purchase the SMR from another player.

Getting There

The Ghoul Arch Magus lives in Lower Guk, which is only accessible from Upper Guk, which itself is only accessible from Innothule Swamp, south of the Deserts of Ro and east of the Feerrott. The GAM himself is in the north wing of the "dead side" of Lower Guk. As his location is well-known and usually camped, I won't bother with a map. There are plenty of other sources for that (say, EQ Atlas).

This is the room the GAM spawns in. I'm not sure which of the two frogs is his placeholder but I believe it's the rear one.

[TODO: Picture of Ghoul Arch Magus]

Getting the Robe

The GAM is an uncommon spawn, and he drops the SMR as his rare drop, so it may take several hours of camping to get an SMR. Take a full group down there, and kill your way to his room. Camp in or near his room until he drops your SMR. The GAM himself is a magician, and casts some dangerous spells, but he is not particularly difficult to kill.

The other method to get Shining Metallic Robes is to buy one from another player. The Robe usually sells for under 1,000 platinum. This is, in general, a much simpler method than trying to get the robe yourself.

3. Get the Robe of the Ishva

(Ishva Mal - Splitpaw Lair, or Coercer Q`ioul - Kithicor Forest)

Kill the Ishva Mal in Splitpaw Lair, and loot the Robe of the Ishva off his body; or, kill Coercer Q`ioul in Kithicor forest, and loot the Robe of the Ishva off her body; or, buy the RotI from another player.

The Ishva Mal Method

Getting There

Splitpaw Lair is located roughly in the center of the Southern Plains of Karana. The Ishva Mal's room is inside Splitpaw, through an underwater passage partway through the dungeon:

The pool of water on the map above is seen in the picture below:

The underwater passage entrance is highlighted by the red circle. You have to go straight down into the water a little ways to enter the passage.

Go through the passage, then swim upward and you'll be in a small cave. A passage to the north leads to a few small storage rooms; the room way in the back corner is the Ishva Mal's room:

In the left picture, you can see two gnolls. The one circled in red is the placeholder for the Ishva Mal, shown at right.

Killing the Ishva Mal

The Ishva Mal is a level 45 caster (not sure what kind), but he's pretty easy to kill. I did it with the same group of 51 rogue, 58 enchanter, and 60 druid, with no problems whatsoever. He is an uncommon to rare spawn, and drops the Robe of the Ishva fairly often (as far as I know -- I got my robe on his first kill). Not a big deal.

Since gnolls don't have robe textures, it's not possible to tell whether the Ishva Mal has the robe or not without killing him.

The Coercer Method

Getting There

See "Getting There" in the main quest step 9, above.

Killing the Coercer

If your goal is to kill only the coercer, then your best bet is to find a 60 ranger who knows how to solo-pull her. Set up a well-balanced party of 6-12 people at the Rivervale zone line in Kithicor during the game day (8am - 7pm game time), and have the 60 ranger pull the Coercer solo to your group. MAKE SURE you dispel her repeatedly, otherwise she will be hasted and buffed and will be harder to kill. Then, kill her, and she will always drop the Robe of the Ishva. Sometimes, too, she will drop the Robe of the Kedge (see below).

Apparently, if she appears to be wearing a green robe, then she has only the Robe of the Kedge in her possession. If she appears to be wearing a blue robe, then she definitely has the Robe of the Ishva, and MAY also have the Robe of the Kedge. As a result, kill her as often as possible. She has a spawn time of 1 real-time day.

Instead of going to Splitpaw or Kithicor, of course, you can simply buy a Robe of the Ishva from another player. I don't know how much they sell for but it isn't a huge amount.

Picture courtesy of Krezdian of the Seventh Hammer

4. Get the Robe of the Kedge

(Phinigel Autropos - Kedge Keep, or Dark Elves - Kithicor Forest)

Kill Phinigel Autropos in Kedge Keep, and loot the Robe of the Kedge off his body; or, kill all of the Dark Elves in the house (see main quest step 9, above) in Kithicor Forest, until one of them drops the Robe of the Kedge. The RotK is NODROP so you cannot buy one from another player, although you CAN multiquest with the RotK.

The Fish Method

Getting There

Kedge Keep is located at the bottom of the lake in Dagnor's Cauldron. The entry coordinates are approximately (-1000, -1000), at literally the bottom of the lake. Right around there are a lot of broken pillars, etc., which mark the entrance to the zone. The below picture was taken facing north, into the Kedge Keep zone border:

Killing Phinigel

Kedge Keep is entirely underwater, so you will need to have some method of extended underwater breathing for you and your entire party. The absolute best method is to acquire Fishbone Earrings for everyone, since they have a permanent effect of Enduring Breath, allowing you permanent water breathing. That's difficult, though, as the Fishbone Earrings are a rare drop off a 5-hour spawn named Hadden in Qeynos Hills. A simpler method is to bring along a magician who can summon dozens of waterstones for everyone. A waterstone is a nonstackable, single-use item that has one charge of Enduring Breath, which lasts roughly 36 minutes. You can also have Enduring Breath cast on you by some classes, including enchanters, but if it starts to run out and they're LD or otherwise occupied...

All told, the magician method is probably the best, since getting everyone Fishbone Earrings is unlikely.

You'll need a party of 12 people level 55+ to safely kill Phinigel, or a larger party of 50+. It's been done with as few as 6 people but it's highly dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Phinigel is deep within Kedge Keep, at the bottom of a large vertical room. The usual method is to have a monk feign-pull his guardians (swirlspine seahorses) up to the party, kill them all, and then kill Phinigel once his guards are all dead. Phinigel drops several items needed for several epic quests, including the Robe of the Kedge, but he drops any of them rarely, so do not expect him to drop your robe the first time. There are other, better guides to dealing with Phinigel, so I will not go into any more detail here; your best bet is to go along on Kedge raids until you get your robe.

The Dark Elf Method

Getting There

See "Getting There" in the main quest step 9, above.

Killing the Dark Elves

You'll need a pair of high-level rangers to safely solo pull the Dark Elves out of the house. Refer to step 9 in the main quest above for details on how to set up for killing the Dark Elves. Clearing the Dark Elf house will result in a Kedge robe about one time in three, according to what I've read, and the robe can drop off ANY of the Dark Elves.

Since the RotK is NODROP, you cannot buy one from another player, but you CAN have them multiquest it with you.

Picture courtesy of Krezdian of the Seventh Hammer

5. Turn in the Robes

(Vilnius the Small - Western Plains of Karana)

Hand in the four robes (Oracle, SMR, Ishva, Kedge) to Vilnius the Small, in exchange for the Cazic Quill.

Getting There

Vilnius the Small, a barbarian male, is found at approximate coordinates (+150, -6700), at the top of a hill just east of a bandit camp on the west end of the mountain range in WK. The bandit camp, which is just west (and downhill) from Vilnius' spawn point, is shown in the picture below (the view is from Vilnius' spawn point):

From the camp, looking east (uphill), Vilnius' spawn point can be seen here, circled in red:

Vilnius' placeholder, "a brigand", and Vilnius himself, are shown below:

The brigand, as well as all the bandits, are on the KaranaBandits faction, but Vilnius is indifferent to all.

However, Vilnius is not there all the time; he has a placeholder (the aforementioned "a brigand") who despawns around 9 or 10pm game time each day. Once the brigand despawns, Vilnius will spawn at 11pm game time (and will despawn at around 8am game time). If the brigand is up, you don't need to kill him; just wait until he despawns.

The bandits in the camp are around level 9-12, so they aren't exactly a threat, although they could make things inconvenient should they decide to attack while you are trying to hand items in to Vilnius. If the brigand is not spawned during the day, then you may need to start killing bandits to get him to spawn, but this is unconfirmed (every time I've stopped by his spot, either Vilnius or the brigand were up).

Hand the four robes in to Vilnius, and he says the following:

Vilnius the Small looks at you impatiently, expecting more.

Vilnius the Small says 'You do good work, Soandso . Here is another trinket for your trouble, you should be able to make use of it. Malta still hasn't made it back yet, and I have one more order to fill, if you're willing. This one should be easy. My sword collector has decided he wants rapiers now, of all things. He has asked for an Eyerazzia, a Martune Rapier, a Burning Rapier, and a well balanced rapier.

You gain experience!!

You receive 31 gold from Vilnius the Small.

You receive 1 platinum from Vilnius the Small.

Vilnius then gives you the Cazic Quill.

When I handed in my robes, I had a friend who had a Kedge robe hand his in first, and once he had done that, I immediately handed in the other three robes (SMR, Ishva, Oracle). Vilnius gave me the Cazic Quill, so this shows that the CQ CAN be multiquested as of October 2001.

The Cazic Quill has the following stats:

Item: Cazic Quill

Type: Piercing

Damage/Delay: 8/23

Stats: +5 AGI

Special Attributes: MAGIC ITEM, LORE ITEM, NODROP

Slot(s): RANGE, PRIMARY, SECONDARY

Weight: 1.1

Effect: Shadow Vortex

Size: SMALL

Class: ROG

Race: ALL