How to role play in MMORPG

Guest Charlie

Guest Charlie

hail all.. i realise many are unsure of how to rp or just afraid to intrude in on it. However, rp is meant to add fun to UO in addition to the hunts and events. So here are some tips i can think of and any others may add into this incase i forget some important ones.

1. NEVER EVER use computer ackronyms!! (lol,brb,afk,u,lmao) stuff like that..there is no such word as lol.If you type slow let that be the other persons problem,im not the fastest typer but if i miss a point to type in i await a new chance to put it in or it just gets added into the rp.people do understand that not everyone is speed typers so dont let that keep you from the fun of rp.

2. decide what you want your character to be personality wise and stick with it.If you want to be a goofball ,be one! If you want to be skitzo,be one!You can choose any possible thing you want to be.Me personally each of my characters(except charlie and kitn really) have distinct different personalities.Yes it does get confusing and you will make mistakes,but ive never been insulted by anyone because of a mistake,it usually is joked aboutand forgotten.

3. We all realise that we have home lives but dont say so in character (''i need to leave the comuter a min'') say that in party or in guild chat NEVER IC(in character) if you mess up which we all do type in *coughs* or maybe *sneezes* or *hiccups* you get the gist of it.:)

4. the astrisk (*) is meant for emotes in game ir your hot key in game is the colon sign ( : ) ,y'know the thing you usually make the eyes of your smiles with hehe ,but not in character! hehe

5.NEVER be afraid to join into a role play that has been started,other guilds or players may not always acknowledge you but i find that many like to see pgoh and other rpers jump in,the best place to jump into an rp is a starting brawl.get practice there.And no that doesnt mean to go in and attack people say things like ''what is going on?''

''is there anything i can help with'' stuff like that after all you are a ''Guardian of Honour'' :D

6.if you wish practice rp with other rpers in guild first,dont give up before you try. Kodoz,me,Ariana plus MANY more will help you get into rp. I didnt start in rp and trust me when i came into uo i (lol'ed ) too and i was pointed out to it EVERYTIME i did it. You learn to put it into your common play.Now if you talk to me in icq or ooc i still use Charlies laugh 'hehehe' i just got the lol's driven out of me.and lets show you something for laughing 'heh' is a rp laugh;widely accepted.lol, not accepted and its the same amount of letters :D or HA! or hehehe or hahaha all accepted unless you like to add in the emotes which are longer to type but you become a better rper and it adds a depth to your character.

7.if you want to take 5 or ten mins and create a story for your char before you rp them, that may help you,write it down and remember to follow it always. Even in hunts!!! now we wont chatter alot while fighting paragons or dragons...:D but like charlie youll see her every now and then while attacking enemies throw out something like ''taste my blade!!!'' i do that just for fun and it makes people laugh.

8.Kodoz' favorite saying ''we dont have nametags floating over our heads'' in other words you do not know anything about anyone until you meet them in character.Even enemy guilds,unless they wear a spacific ''badge'' like pgoh wears the purple aprons.You in rl may know something but your character is only seeing them for the first time.Now sometimes if you open the profile,(how many do that?? I do!! hehe) open up profiles for other charaters and it may say ''you see a scar on their left eye'' that stuff you can IC ''see'' because it is visible,just in that circumstance be sure you dont make a mistake of ''seeing'' somthing under armour or something hehehe.

9 Every human has limits, you can give your char a fear or a dislike or something (back to charlie,she is my char hehe, she will never leave anywhere without her horse and would never hurt an animal dog ,cat, stuff like that .)

10. HAVE FUN!! create your story .also there are sites ALL OVER for spacific rping of types of chars languages and EVERYTHING!!! Search them out online.Some species have spacific ways about them (vampires ,drow etc)( you dont want a vampire living in a house lined with fire thats just unrealistic .since uo has certain things set up dont shoot for perfection, like many vampires walk around in daytime.. though some will wear a hooded robe and some cast fire spells,go as far as you can to the realism as you possibly,comfortably can.)

any additions or other ideas that i missed are welcome to be added:)

ENJOY the Role PLAY!!!!!

Excellent information, Charlie!

I would add one caution to those new

to RP --- it's what I've heard called

Invasive RP. In other words, do not

RP something that dictates the actions

and/or words of another. Such as:

*Kaatya watches Charlie kick a dog in disgust*

or

*Kaatya reels in shock as Hudson blasphemes the Virtues*

Strength and HONOR!