Mice

Balandar

I need a new one and I want a good one. I have been looking at the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical as well as the Explorer. Anyone know of an excellent mouse that has programmable buttons and is optical? I need something good for gaming, everything from EQ/UO/DAoC/whatever to UT. Oh, and of course general programming and doing college projects.

Stick with a PS/2 mouse.  It provides the fatest, easiest, cheapest solution to any mouse need.  Doesn't matter the number of buttons, wheels, or stickers, the old, reliable ubiqitous mouse is still the best item never needing an upgrade in the game.

I work as a network Tech at the University of Michigan, and have seen nothing but trouble with the optical (wireless) mice.  Everything from proximity woes to reflective interference, from sound and video card compatability issues to IR config duplication, the wireless age is frought with errors.

If a PS/2 mouse fails, replace it with another $8 mouse.  Drivers are generic and universal.  PnP and GMouse work in both DOS and Windows (as well as OS/2, Linux, BeOS, etc).  Stay with a winner!

I have the Microsoft intellimouse optical mouse(with tail) Bal, and it works great for me. Not a real fancy one with 30 buttons and can opener but your standerd r/l buttons with wheel. I have never had any problems with it. And if you choose to be like Martok and use a 3 day old piece of pizza as your mouse pad i think it will pass with flying colors.

p.s. Dont ever listen to anyone from UofM pfffft......Go BUckeyes!!!!! :devil:

Funny, I work at Michigan but, as a Clevelander, am a Buckeye myself.

Go Buckeyes!    :smokewink:

Occassionally I actually read the posts.  Optical mice are excellent in most instances, especially for use in multitask ventures like EQ.  But you already know this.  Check out this link for a great review on Optical solutions:

Optical Mice explained / Reviewed

Well, I bought the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical DF8-00026 today. Runs nice and smoooth. I also bought the "Fellowes Gel" keyboard wrist pad and mouse wrist pad. I wish they made a pillow of the stuff. Oh, and a new speaker system (nothing expensive). I got the Creative Inspire 4.1 4400. A lot better than my $7 speakers before. I can feel the vibrations from the speakers through the chair, desk, and floor. Now when that damn neighbor has his radio up...  :smokewink: