Building a website

Hadrian

Basically.. I am going to build a website for my clan, which is something I haven't done.. since .. well Ultima. And that website was "garbage" compared to this so.. If you can give me any info before i make my clan website.. as like where i should build it, what i should use.. or maybe even, if Wolf or Balandar have time, start one up for me. Any info or aid you can give me to building a decent website, let me know.

No time at all. I am still working on this website’s transfer.

Start out with your isp's web hosting space. They usually give you some space to play around with. Use static templates for the design. If you know programming then you can start taking a look at php.net and mysql.com. This is assuming you have a linux based server. Otherwise, for windows, I would say asp.

As to the templates, do a search on google.com for "website templates". You'll need to know basic html and how things work. I would suggest learning CSS, but that is a lot more complex than HTML.

Everything on thehonorempire.net has been put together after years of programming. A lot of the code behind the scenes is old, some new... but all of it took hundreds of hours to create ( a lot of time just learning since I had nobody to teach it to me ).

You may also want to take a look at some guild hosting sites that will host a guild for free. I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Once you are experienced enough, you can start looking into purchasing a hosting service, buying domain names, working with dns servers, having dynamic content, databases, etc.

Wolf is more experienced in the graphics arena if you are looking at creating your own images.

Great.. i do know some programming.. went to school on it years ago.. just gotta bring it back to memory. Im definately going to look into some guild sites then, especially if it saves me time, which i dont have alot of these days. Thanks again for your help.

Just to update.. i built a site on guild portal.. damn it was easy. They pretty much have everything preset.. gotta love that. Anyway.. would love some input on what you think of it/ and any ideas to make it better. http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?Guil...84&TabID=220333 only bad thing is the length of the site name unless i want to front 45$.. ugh

Just to update.. i built a site on guild portal.. damn it was easy. They pretty much have everything preset.. gotta love that. Anyway.. would love some input on what you think of it/ and any ideas to make it better.  http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?Guil...84&TabID=220333  only bad thing is the length of the site name unless i want to front 45$.. ugh

$45 is a bit much (well, maybe not considering they have a script and not your own actual directory). If all you want is a simple redirect to that url (easier to remember), go to godaddy.com and buy a domain name for $8. You can set the domain as a forwarder. So if someone visits yoursite.com, they will be redirected to http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?lotsofmobojumbo

Also, if you ever get your own host you can change the DNS records to point to your new host with godaddy.com.