Welcomes and Omens

Akroma

As the sun set on another long day in Sosaria , Several members had begun to gather at Olympus as the custom has become. Just as Logan began to spin a yarn about days of yore to the assembled Guardians, a sail was seen on the horizon. Not only a sail, but a familiar sail. It seemed that Maven and his brothers had returned from there long search for Steel.

As the Guardians rushed to meet them , they began to notice that no one was at the tiller. Logan thought quickly and summoned his magicks to slow the boats entry into the harbor. When the boat was finally safe and tied off the guardians boarded to find Maven, Verite, Raven, and Silver all exhausted from their trip and suffering from strange ailments.

As the Guardians rushed to their aid, preparations were made within Olympus to heal their wounds and allow them the rest they needed. Logan called in the finest healers from the land as the others made them comfortable.

The morning came and still the recovery was slow. Maven seemed to be doing better than the rest but the difference was not a notable one. The day passed by slowly and as night fell a beleagured Maven made his way to the meeting hall where several had gathered to check on his progress. Mavens words came out coarse and muttered , not the usual Eloquent language we had all grown to expect.

"we searched far..... and wide and came...... upon many evils.....Murders most foul...... and unspeakable abominations" He gasped for breath and was steadied by Imperator Tasselhoff . " Ships..... hold" he gasped. " We came ... upon a priest... brutally murdered....seemed to be almost... as if we were supposed.... to find him" Maven looked around with a blank stare. " Tome..... in........ships.....hold!"

Akroma sent Sojourn and Kodoz to investigate the ships hold thinking there had to be a reason for Maven to be so insistant on getting the Tome. " The priest ... had only the tome.... clutched to his breast, I think...

it is a clue.... to Steels whereabouts...... but can't decipher" With that he passed out and was returned to his bed.

Kodoz and Sojourn soon returned with a musty old book with unknown symbols inside. "The ancients must be alerted at once" spoke Akroma " surely they will be able to decipher this". Thoughts toiled through the Senators head, Was this a clue to finding Steel? Or had this strange book somehow caused the ailments which affected Maven and his brothers? Only time would tell for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

*Tod the Sentry was performing his normal duties and then some, welcoming not only the guardians but also all the visitors here for the joust. As was his custom, he would listen to what was going on in the meeting. Suddenly he heard an uproar of commotion, and hurried inside to see what was happening.

He could hardly believe his eyes. He saw a ghastly shimmering form of Sir Steel DarKnight! Audibly gasping, he heard the various members and leaders speak to the apparition, and saw Kodoz attempt to make physical contact, to pass through the phantom image. The spectre of Steel seemed injured greatly, but armor covered most of his body. As he crept forward for a better vantage point suddenly he heard a sound like singing, startling him so bad he dropped his spear. Recovering his spear, he listened to the words of the song, and memorized them for future reference.*

'Where once was light

Now darkness falls

Where once was Honor

Honor is found no more

These tears that I cry

Are for all the lies

That were told to me

The hurt and the blame

And I will weep

I am so alone

I am lost

I will never find home.....

Don't say goodbye

Don't say that I never tried

So in the end

I will become, What I was meant to be

What loyal friend

Was ever there for me

For now..... I will say goodbye

I shall say that you never tried

The tears that you will cry

Will have come too late

Take back the lies

My hurt,............... your blame

And you will cry

When you face your end alone

For you will be lost

And you will never go home'

*Throughout the singing, Tod thought he discerned hidden meanings and emotions behind the different verses. Though the beginning was filled a deep sadness, loneliness and remorse. However at the end the singing took on a different pitch and tone, one that chilled Tod to the bone. He had heard such tones before, but had hoped not to hear it again. It was the sound of one who was uttering a vow of vengeance. He had heard it from enemies of the Guardians, but never would he have thought he could hear such things from one like Steel. And then as suddenly as it appeared, the intangible apparition was gone. He heard various people speak, Kodoz shouted something followed by a bone shattering noise, Emperor Logan beseeching the gods to help Steel come home, various members reassuring each other, and vows to return Steel to his true place of belonging. Many members offered condolences to Val DarKnight, a new recruit to the Legion, following Steel's wishes. But he doubted he would ever be able to forget the last verse of the song.*

'And you will cry

When you face your end alone

For you will be lost

And you will never go home'

*For Tod the Sentry, many a restless night he expected to follow.*