Schwarzenegger sworn in as California governor

Balandar

'Changing the entire political climate of this state'

SACRAMENTO, California (CNN ) --Facing a large state budget crunch, actor Arnold Schwarzenegger was sworn in at the California Capitol on Monday as governor, succeeding recalled incumbent Gray Davis.

"I say to everyone here today and I say to all Californians: I will not forget my oath and I will not forget you," Gov. Schwarzenegger told the crowd as soon as he'd been sworn in.

California Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald George administered the oath of office, as Schwarzenegger stood with his hand on a family Bible that George said dated to 1811.

Band music played as the oath was completed, and as Schwarzenegger shook hands with Davis and made his way to the podium.

Prior to his taking of that oath, Vanessa Williams sang an a cappella rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the ceremony, which was backed by wide navy-blue banners studded with white stars. A group of children then recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

California's new first lady, Maria Shriver, read a passage from the work of poet Maya Angelou.

Immediately after taking the oath, Gov. Schwarzenegger told the dignitaries gathered at the statehouse, "In recent years, Californians have lost confidence. They felt that the actions of the government did not represent the will of the people.

"This election was not about replacing one man. It was not about replacing one party. It was about changing the entire political climate of this state."

Out of the gate

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, has said he will start work almost immediately after the ceremony. Organizers had said they wanted a "simple and dignified" event, given the state budget woes that helped fuel the unprecedented campaign to oust the unpopular Davis in the October 7 recall.

In prepared remarks for the ceremony -- obtained before his inauguration -- Schwarzenegger, 56, said the recall "was the people's veto of politics as usual," and he pledged swift action to lead a state he says is "in crisis."

"We spent ourselves into the largest budget deficit in the nation," his prepared text states. "We have the worst credit rating in the nation. We have the highest worker compensation costs in the nation."

Schwarzenegger said his first move will be to order a repeal of the widely unpopular 300-percent increase in state vehicle registration fees.

That "car tax" tripled this year, helping to shrink a $38 billion budget gap down to $8 billion, but analysts believe the move contributed heavily to Davis' defeat.

Schwarzenegger will then have to deal with a budget gap expected to be at least $11.5 billion next year -- a gap he promised voters he would eliminate without raising taxes or cutting education spending. He is expected to propose that the state Legislature back a $20 billion bond issue, which would have to be approved by voters.

Schwarzenegger promises to convene a special session of the state Legislature to address the fiscal crisis, overhaul the state's workers compensation system and repeal a measure Davis signed that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain drivers' licenses.

"When Schwarzenegger was campaigning he was talking about action, action, action -- how he needed to come in and sweep up politics as usual in Sacramento and so on," said Kimberly Nalder, a government professor at California State University in Sacramento. "So people will be expecting that."

In his prepared inaugural remarks, Schwarzenegger quotes President John F. Kennedy -- the slain uncle of his wife, Maria Shriver -- calling himself "an idealist without illusions." But he also invokes former President Ronald Reagan and the framers of the Constitution, who faced a deep crisis when they met in Philadelphia in 1787.

"The dream of a new nation was falling apart," Schwarzenegger says in his planned remarks. "Events were spiraling downward. Divisions were deep -- merchant against farmer, big states against small, north against south. Our founding fathers knew that the fate of the union was in their hands, just as the fate of California is in our hands."

But those delegates in Philadelphia produced what he called "the miracle of Philadelphia."

'Miracle of Sacramento'

"Now the members of the Legislature and I must bring about the miracle of Sacramento -- a miracle based on cooperation, goodwill, new ideas and devotion to the long-term good of California," Schwarzenegger says.

Former Los Angeles Mayor Dick Riordan, who will serve in the new administration as the state's education secretary, predicted that Schwarzenegger will govern the state "in a non-partisan way."

"People are ready for change right now," Riordan said. "What they know is that we are in moral and economic shambles in this state, and we need solutions that are going to reach out to everybody."

About 7,500 of the new governor's campaign supporters, state legislators, the California congressional delegation and other dignitaries were expected to attend Monday's ceremony. Though the recall campaign was rancorous, the transition has been marked by cooperation on both sides.

"I talk to him almost every day," Davis said. "I think he has good instincts, is appointing good people and is off to a good start."

CNN Correspondents Frank Buckley and Kimberley Osias contributed to this report.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/11/17/...gger/index.html