RP

Kaatya

KAATYA:

(OOC: Is all this drow language on the boards truly necessary? Having to refer to the Translator is a pain. If you are the least bit interested in actually conveying your message, I would suggest it either be done in a language WE understand or the translation provided in parentheses after your statements. In my opinion, it does not enhance RP to regurgitate words from a Translator, it only eats up the time that I can use to enjoy the game.)

MORGANNA:

( OOC: Forgive me Kaatya...I was merely following the lead of your Senator...I shall not insult your time again, however do keep in mind...we have our own language...as do you, thinking that another race will act the way you wish is not realistic in rp.)

KODOZ:

(OOC: If asked to use drow by any ranking officer please do, but it would be very nice if you had a translation either below the main message or immediately after your Drow sentence. If this takes your time we are sorry, but the storyline is part of our roleplaying and it helps many to get into character by using their language. Thanks!)

Edited by Kaatya

OK. Thought I'd start this thread so that the other thread can be devoted to the actual ongoing scenario. I have copied the various comments related to this topic. Perhaps they can be removed from the "Stories", if the board administration deems it appropriate to do so.

There is a nice way to ask for something, and there is a blunt way too. Last night I chose the latter. I regret doing this because the intent of my message was lost in the approach I took to deliver it. Would it have been more like me to have written "Could you please provide translations in parentheses after your foreign language entries."? Probably. But I'm not politically correct ALL the time; sometimes, I just speak my mind and hit that ENTER key.

I have two gals that have been in an elf RP guild for well over a year now. I certainly am able to appreciate the flavor that language can add to character interactions. We weren't super-focused on speaking the elven tongue exclusively, but some of the guild members excelled at the language. Many were the times we'd have to ask, usually in Party, for translations ..... SO THAT WE UNDERSTOOD WHAT WAS GOING ON.

Beyond a frown, a quizzical look, or an arched eyebrow, interaction is quite limited if I cannot make heads or tails out of what you are saying. The situation is reduced to one player RP'ing with himself/herself, which is fine if that is what turns you on. I shall leave you to it.

Don't know where you got the idea that I expect another race to act the way I wish. I don't. But what I do expect is to be able to establish my own RP. So please don't portray one of my gals as feeling like a failure when she doesn't. Call her a failure if you like, but please don't take it upon yourself to determine her feelings unless and until she has displayed them.

It is not my intention to stop anyone from posting in whatever language they wish to use, sans profanity. If you want your target audience to understand what you are saying, I would hope you would provide a translation. That much is under your control. If you expect us to seek out a translator, that much is under our control.

My message was not meant to tell anyone or order anyone to do something, just a suggestion. Kaatya thank you for making it more clear for everyone what you meant here. I will remove my post from 'Warning' with editing. Thank you for being courteous and thoughtful enough to move these things like i should have so we dont interrupt the storyline. Again, Thanks!

Ok this is rediculous...first of all yes I took offense to the way you stated your ooc comments...I felt on that board they were out of line...Your senator provided a link above on the same page to a translator..and did not translate his words, I was simply following suit...NEVER let me repeat that NEVER did I write about your character. Show me please where I portrayed your feelings or even mentioned you anywhere...to my knowledge Morganna has never met Kaatya in the plot. I spoke of Isabelle and her friend, OBERON who is elven as well...and was referring to HIS post on how HE felt like he failed. Why are you taking all of this so strongly? Something else is underlying here it seems, ever since Steel decided to have his character die...

Unfortunately, the fault in this is mine.

In my original post, I decided to use exactly the words of the ultimatum that was given to me. Because this was an immediate threat, and future events were unknown, I posted a translation.

In my second post I did not.

The reason for this was twofold.

One, in any story, you the reader should have a sense of the sight, smell, taste, and emotion of the events being unfolded before you. In this scenario we are dealing with an enemy that is very foreign to us, a race that is almost an enigma. In order to give this true foreign sense of an alien race I chose to use their language.

Two, I did not necessarily believe that the post would be translated, leaving Steels actions somewhat of a mystery. For a certain few, curiosity would demand they knew the full events of what would occur. They would translate the posts, and perhaps from the reference sight given also learn more of the opponent we face.

In truth I have the original post written in English saved away. Obviously, I also had to translate, just in reverse. My intent was to post this a few days after the original, that is, until Kaatya stepped up and provided a translation as well as doing it in a RP manner.

Unfortunately, I did not take into consideration the precedent this would set. Nor did I take into consideration the time that other people would need to spend to get the needed information. I was concerned only with how the story was portrayed. A bit shortsighted and inconsiderate on my part.

For future posts I believe it would be in the best interest of our readers to have the post either subtitled, or a second post added with the translation.

Strength and Honor.

*whisks himself back into nothingness*

Edited by Steel DarKnight

I have been watching these posts all day and tried not to get involved for I feel there is no true winner in this situation. The right and wrong of this is a very grey area.

Morganna yes this storyline has gripped evryones emotional strings, Steel was a very beloved character and all of us in PGoH feel like he is a family member. Thank You for your role in this. The storyline has been great.

Kaatya , Thank you also for your terrific translations, without them I think that alot of us would have missed out on great sections of the storylines.

I think the root of the problem lies in role-playing stylesand as far as I know everyone has a different style of Rp.

But the one main thing to remember here is at the end of the day (storyline or what have you) we are all on the same team and all out for the same thing. To have FUN!!

From what I've read for the most part, its all been one misunderstanding after another, lets all calm down and continue to work to make this a great storyline.

Edited by Akroma