Battle Tactics

Steel DarKnight

To: All standing legion members

Last eve, the legion set out on what was to be the first, for some, exercise using the fundamental group combat tactics of the Empire (PvM) otherwise known as the “Honor Wall”. I wanted to see how the new members reacted to group combats and strategies, as well as I wanted to see if our veteran members remembered their training and the writings

I was quite pleased with several factors of this hunt, and unfortunately displeased with some others.

I was very pleased with the following.

Ø The large amount of people participating

Ø The willingness of our new recruits to follow instructions and to make a contribution.

I wish to thank all of you for participating and I wish to express my pleasure with the enthusiasm our recruits have shown.

Now for the matters that we must address and rectify.

As the Senator of War it is my job to review and critique the combat effectiveness of the Legion. The Legion and its effectiveness is my responsibility and not one I take lightly. This task is made more difficult without an active Imperator and Decurion.

This effectiveness is gauged by many factors. These factors include:

Ø Discipline

Ø Tactics

Ø Ability and willingness to follow orders

I saw failings in all of these categories. Most seriously I saw some of this from veteran Guardians whom should know better. It is your responsibility to present yourself as a role model for our younger members and with the aforementioned absences it is even more critical now than ever.

Discipline

Quote:

From the Battle Tactics Manual

Know your role within the party.  Do not become overzealous.  This tactic is designed to bring the fight to us on our terms. Should you take it upon yourself to run off to do your own thing (a) you will probably die and (b) I will expel you from the Legion.  Group romps are just that, a group activity that is designed to be fun and take members to locations that usually would be difficult to solo.”

Quote:

“The ONLY  time a Legion member will break from the Honor Line is if a retreat is called by the Commanding Officer.  Legion members will remain in place fighting unto death should it be required.  The old saying "United we stand, divided we fall” is especially applicable in group battle

Last eve, I watched as several Guardians broke ranks to engage the enemy. In doing so they put the lives of their fellow guardians at risk. By removing yourself from the wall you reduce the coverage, blocking, and healing ability of the line. It also creates confusion for members whom are trying to hold the line. They must decide to stay in position or move up to engage as well.

The arcane cohort faces the same decision. To heal support they must move up and out of position. This further reduces the support for the main line and again causes confusion as the ranks split.

Even worse, should you fall you are separated from the group who must now move from a favorable position to a possibly unfavorable position to rescue and recover you.

Ultimately, your actions endanger others in the legion. I watched last night, as the ranks broke to 1 vs. 1 confrontation.

A young legionnaire fell twice in a matter of minutes.

Unfortunately, he was the one holding ranks as he was expected to do. He paid the price for mistakes he didn’t make.

Quote:

Should you take it upon yourself to run off to do your own thing (a) you will probably die and (b) I will expel you from the Legion.

…Or you will cause the death of those behind you.

Tactics:

I was quite pleased with what is limited experience how effectively our Honor Wall formed and handled the enemy. Other than a few mistakes as mentioned before.

I will admit that the honor wall is not glorious. It does not hold the heroics of individual combat. But it is and does, what it was intended to do. I have watched the “honor” wall take down anything from large masses of Juka, to multiple Dragons with ease.

Quote:

From the Battle Tactics Manual:

“When used correctly, this tactic will bring low any creature in the realm.”

The honor wall is intended to allow the turn several people into one functioning unit. This changes the odds from 1 against many to many against 1. . It also allows you to defeat an enemy with the least amount of resources, space, and time. I have watched and been a part of small groups of disciplined Guardians that have taken apart enemy numbers that would have decimated us if we had acted as separate entities. It also allows you to defeat an enemy with the least amount of resources, space, and time. Be patient guardians and show discipline.

Following Orders:

The Guardians are a military order. Being so, it has military ranking based on experience, dedication, activeness, humility, and discipline. The people, whom are above you in this system, have generally earned their post by doing these things. Some have put forward a great amount of time, sweat, and tears. In time you to will gain rank and be asked to take responsibility.

Listening and doing what those with more rank request is part of being a guardian. It is needed to give order to the chaos of battle. It is also a measure of respect, to those whom have paid the price to earn it and yes also your…humility. Both of these are mandatory traits for a Guardian.

Quote:

“Before I go further I will state 2 things that I expect everyone within the Legion to accept.

(1) In battle situations, orders from your superiors are to be followed immediately.

(2) Be prepared to die and embrace that possibility as your duty to the Empire.”

During our group activities our mission, unless stated otherwise, is to defeat our enemy and reach our goal while taking as few losses as possible. (o.o.c. Primarily it is to fight and enjoy each others company as a group.)

Gold, treasure, and personal glory are NOT what we seek unless it is stated as a mission goal. Although obviously we take what we can get, you should not risk the lives of other members nor split from the group to hover over the fallen enemy. There is plenty of time for such in your daily activities and it should not be to much to ask that during the one or two times the Legion gathers a week that this not be your focus.

Last eve, I watched as part of the legion failed to respond to a movement request. Some stayed to fight, some stayed to loot. I watched a legionnaire fall as he continued to fight after the order, and was left unsupported. After he was restored the majority of the Legion rallied elsewhere but were forced to wait on several members whom did not listen to the request and persisted on.

This is not fair to the guardians whom did as expected. His or her time is as precious as anyone’s.

To close, this mission using the tactics of the empire was the first in what I hope to be many. I did not see anything I didn’t expect, as many of us have been on our own for so long. My words are not to point out or belittle any one individual. They are simply fulfilling the duties given to me by the Emperor. The actions I saw are the mark of warriors whom are forced to depend on themselves. But we are now reforming, rebuilding, and reclaiming our place in Sosaria. The Legion WILL perform as it was intended. You must learn to operate as a whole, and as a family as we should be.

Quote:

The old saying "United we stand, divided we fall" is especially applicable in-group battle.   Keep your heads and stay close.

For those whom may not have seen it or whom may need to review it once more the link to the Senator of War, Battle Tactics Manual can be found in our introduction given to new legionnaires

Strength and Honor,

Steel DarKnight

SOW

Edited by Steel DarKnight