Office 2K3

Winter Wind

Was reading about the Beta 2 of MS Office 2K3 in PC Magazine.

I like the new feature of Outlook. Self destructing e-mail. I can't count how many times I have had to go check an employee's PC that was "running slow" only to see that they had over 800 e-mails in their inbox, maybe 100 in the deleted folder, and between 800 - 1000 in their sent items folder.

Now e-mail can be set to auto delete (permenatly) and save some space and admin headaches.

That alone makes it a worthwhile investment for me.

For you Frontpage/Dreamweaver types. They are coming together, sorta, in the new office package. Front Page has been redesigned to offer similar options and functionality of Dreamweaver MX. The assimilation has begun, resistance is futile.

Word has also been updated to interact with Access Databases a lot better than it did. It also uses XML for the templates now. On the fly across the network editing keeps improving. Gotta love it.

PowerPoint. Now has the ability to run fullscreen streaming video. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. PowerPoint can be a usefull tool, but all too often people want to put every animation and sound into their presentations and just wind up ruining it. Like that run on sentence I just typed.

I'm still just excited about the self destructing e-mail. Wonder how long it will be before the virus writers find a use for that?