To Embrace a Shadow

When I came to my senses again, I walked outside to find myself in a quaint little village. I met with an apprentice Priest who assisted me in the beginnings of my training. I trained with the corpse for a few weeks, and I noticed that I was progressing much faster than I had in my life. The shadows had an eerie presence too them, almost clinging to my robe, and swirling around my hands. I quickly learned to slam my will into another unfortunate subjects mind, apparently causing physical pain. I could also warp the shadows around an individual. They would grip, and strangle, and tear at his flesh, it was known as a "Shadow Word".

Weeks felt like days, years felt like months. Much time passed and my power only grew. By now, I had even learned how to control a creature's mind, making it my slave. One day I gained insight into a base that harbored hundreds of Scarlet Crusade members. My time for revenge had finally arrived!

I met my good friends Solitane and Abrinth outside of the gates to the Scarlet Monastery. The sound of clanging metal filled my ears as Abrinth dismounted and began his charge. It's amazing how fast they responded in kind, sending their re-enforcements. I thought for sure we were goners, their numbers were many, and I cast a healing spell upon Abrinth delaying what seemed to be our inevitable demise. Then suddenly, a ball of fire came shooting over my shoulder, detonating on one of the members of the Crusade. Another man turned on me and raised his blade high in the air. As the blade came down, I felt nothing, but heard the odd sound of a sheep "bahhing" at me. The man had been polymorphed. Much to my surprise, and relief, Raamul rode up just in time, and we finished cleaning up the courtyard. The first man on our list was Arcanist Doan. I remembered him from life, and he had not changed much in the years, save for gaining more power in the arcane arts. We dispatched his guards quickly and efficiently, and arrived at Doan with barely breaking a sweat (If my sweat glands were still functional).

"It has been a long time... old friend." I spoke dryly, as my empty sockets focused on his eyes, which were now darting between the four of us.

"How did you get past my guards? Who are you? And how do I know you undead?"

"My name, you miserable old fool, is Kalrash Salazar. During life, you might have known me as Brother Kalrash, or perhaps "Honest Kal" as they used to call me. Remember it well, for your time in this world has come to an end."

With that final word, Abrinth sprung into action, cleaving deep into the mage. I spoke my Shadow Word, and Raamul began his incantations. Our young bovine friend placed his totems upon the ground, enhancing our abilities. Not much effort was required before Doan lay slain at our feet. I took his Illusionary Rod as a memento of my great victory, and of my first step towards achieving my revenge.

One by one, they all fell to our might: Harod, Hound Master Loksey, Interrogator Vishas, Whitemane, and even the "mighty" Scarlet Commander Mograine.

The taste of revenge was sweet on my tongue; several hundred of my "brethren" lay motionless at our feet. I kneeled and tasted their flesh. It was still warm, and tender from their gaping wounds. I laughed and turned my attention to my compatriots.

"I thank you for this my friends, we have dealt a great blow to the Crusade this day. They will forever remember the worst mistake they ever made. They will remember the brother they killed, who has now killed important leaders of their Crusade. They will remember my name. They will forever remember the Dark Priest Kalrash!"

We walked slowly out of the Monastery, absorbing all the sounds, the sights, the smells of the dead, and of our victory. I turned my gaze to the East, to the city of Stratholme on the horizon, where the last step of my revenge would take place. On that day, after succeeding, I knew deep down in my non-beating heart, that the Baron would fall, and it would be my hand that brought him to his knees, begging for his life, before I squelch it from this land forever. I motioned to my friends. We mounted up, and began our journey to the East. The Climax of my journey was at hand, and I desperately sought an end to the treachery.

"I am coming for you Baron Rivendare, and you best be ready." I muttered under my breath.

To Be Continued....