A past never forgptten

Yud

The young tauren laughed as his mother gave chase, pretending to not be able to keep up as they played together out on the plain. From afar the father watched, takeing a moments rest from his days works to enjoy the sight of the two most preciouse things the earth mother had given him. The sun shone brightly this day. The winds were calm, moving just enough to feel like fingers running through ones hair.

In the blink of an eye storm clouds rolled in. The wind became angry, strong enough now that the young tauren had to balance himself. The sound of thunder began to roll in from just over the hill to the south of their home...yet there was no lightning. Frightened, the child ran for the house. Even one so young knew things were not right.

Humans...nearly 15 of them on horseback and wearing the armor of the knights came chargeing at the home. The sound of the warning horn echoed throughout the plains, his father calling for help from the nearby village. His mother stood her ground, the aura of her shamanistic magic growing as the spell she was casting came to a conclusion. A bolt of lighting shot from her hands, hitting one of the men square in the chest before chaining out to a couple others. All three fell from their mounts, two dead and one recovering. His father gave a roar as he came up beside his mate, leaping at another of the warriors as his form changed too that of shape of a bear. The look of surprise on the man's face was momentary for shape claws began tearing into it's flesh.

The two tauren fought as one, downing at least 10 of the men through magic and muscle. But the magic ceased to flow...the muscle too tired to continue. The remaining knights closed around the couple and the young tauren watched as his parents were repeatedly punctured by sword and spear. One of the men turned, looking to the child, his intentions clear in his eyes. Tears ran down the young taurens face, his only peace was in knowing he would soon be with loved ones again.

Yudhisthir sat straight up in bed, his breath comeing in gulps as the dream fell away from him once again as it had done so many times. He let himself fall back, forceing down the fear.

So many times that day had played out in his mind. Time and again the men came, slaughtering his parents for no other reason than they were different. If the people from the village hadn't gotten there when they did he would be with them now. Slowly he climbed out from under the covers. A couple hours before day break but he knew he would get no more sleep.

Stepping out from the tent the smell of nature was all around him. The cool morning air blowing over his frame as the earthmother tried to give him peace. Quietly he thanked her for her effort but that peace was not to be his. He went to the same place he always did when the dream cameback, the nearby well.

With his back against the edge of the well and the village behind him he looked out over the plains. Striders were already out, getting their first meal of the day. Even though choas raged inside him nature always seemed to have a calm too it. A storm could come through, destory a birds nest, and the bird never seemed angry about it. They just started building again. His head shook with a sigh. How he envied those birds. The other tauren was heard long before he felt the hand on his shoulder. A touch of a grin came to his lips as the female sat next to him.

When his parents had died, her's took him in as their own. They made sure to teach him about the ways of his people. Of their past...of their suffering. Yamuna and he had already been playmates so the transition into the new family was made easier by the bonds they all shared.

They were both still young, early teens by human years with Yamuna being a year older. As so many friendships do theirs grew into much more. Many days were spent just holding eachother and talking. The other children would make fun of them. Not really to be mean but just being kids. They would laugh with them, knowing that the happiness they gave eachother was worth the little ridicule. She had mentioned marriage a couple times, always in ways that sounded like innocent ideas but Yudhisthir knew she wanted to be wed. He just...wasn't ready.

"I wish you'd come and get me when you have those nightmares, Yudhisthir. I feel like you're trying to hide when you come out here alone." Yamuna layed her head on his shoulder. Her arms wrapping around his and rubbing softly as her eyes closed.

"You know better than that." he said softly, head turning to nuzzle her.

"Aye, I do. It's just, you always seem so distant after those dreams. And it's days before you come back around. And since they've been comeing to you more often I fear I'm loseing a part of of you."

The bull turned himself some so his other hand could lift her chin, her eyes opening as he did to gaze back into his orbs.

"It haunts me, Yamuna. Even when I'm calm on the outside my heart calls to the earthmother for a reason...an explanation of why it happened. All she ever tells me is that men are foolish. That brings me no peace." Yamuna's hand went to his chest, palm pressed flat to feel his heart beat. It brought a smile to his features. "I love you, Yamuna. You have every bit of me that I can give. But when the parts of me that I don't understand rear up inside...it doesn't mean you are loseing a part of me. Just that I have more to learn about myself."

She moved upward, her lips pressing into his, he returning the affection as his arms pulled her close. He knew in time he could devote himself entirely to her. For now though, he was torn. They parted some, gazeing at eachother before a sigh passed from her, her head finding his chest, seeking comfort.

The sun had just started to rise over the distance mountains. They should get to work on their daily chores but neither one of them moved. They were happy. Why be in a rush to get away from that?

Written in a letter to Yud:

translated by the clan scribes into Taurahe such that the reader can understand...

My friend Yudhisthir,

I am still unable to find the men responsible for your tragic loss. It may be the case that we may never find the answers you seek. Take heart in the fact that your family met their end on their own terms and were not forced to be subjected to any vile human tortures of the mind, body, nor spirit.

The spirits whisper of your own self inflicted tortures. I wish to speak to you not as a chieftain, but as someone that also underwent long trials of suffering and struggling with inner turmoil. What is past, can never be undone. Even if you were face to face and had your chance with those you feel caused your life to be ripped apart, what could you gain? Vengence? Yes Justice? Certainly Yet the wounds inflicted that star crossed day will not be healed by such temporary retribution.

The key to regaining serenity is through yourself. Within you is the power to mend the old wounds and gain strength from the scar that will remain. Build within yourself the virtues which are eternal. Love, compasion, honor, and wisdom to name a few. When you are ready to begin the clan will be waiting.

Chieftain,

Volonazra

The bull smiled as he read the letter, his attention turning to Maube as she spoke. A soft laugh passed his lips as he ruffled her hair a little.

"Worry not little Maube. Yud has much happiness now. I just felt it was time to share my past with others. You and Volonazra shall both see that in the end...I smile."

A soft kiss placed on Maube's hair as the bull started work on the next chapter.