The early years of the Dark Priest

"Arise once more, you who have been cast aside by your own people, shunned by those closest to you. Those who you trusted."

As I came to my senses, the Banshee queen, who was unknown to me at the time, was standing above me. The words she said were echoing through my head. I was in a dimly lit, and poorly constructed mausoleum. I slowly sat up, and peered through my new awakened eyes. I looked into a small pool of water on the ground, formed by droplets of condensation. To my horror, I realized that I was in fact NOT looking through eyes, but that I had no eyes at all. My face was twisted and frozen from my last horrifying moment of life. I prayed to the light, hoping for a sign, a guiding ray to bring me out of this... nightmare, but to no avail. I turned to the Dark Lady and asked her,

"Why have you brought me back? Why was I not allowed to die in peace?"

She responded in kind,

"What peace is there in humiliation corpse? Do you not seek revenge against those who have wronged you? Who have made you the creature you see in that reflection?"

The words burned in my mind, invigorating me, but I was trained in the ways of the light, and revenge is forbidden, so I said,

"Forgive me miss, but revenge is forbidden in my order. The light has decreed this."

To which she replied,

"If the light truly does exist, how would it possibly have allowed this to have happened to such a devoted creature such as you? The ways of the light are long gone, and shall forever be lost. I have given rise to you through black magic. A dark entity that provides strength, and the means for revenge. Do you seek this revenge Kalrash, or do you wish to be put to your final rest?"

Slowly lifting my head, and peering into her eyes, through the magic’s that allowed me to see, I replied,

"I desire the power to avenge my death! I pledge myself to thee, and embrace the power of the Shadows."

From that moment on, I was never the same.