The waves of the horizon

Grimgor

With only the occasional lazy buzz of a nearby insect to keep him company an Orc warrior, clad in his armor, knelt and bowed beside a rock and contemplated as the midday sun blasted down on him and the surrounding plains. He did this often, sometimes finding solace. Other times, like this time, he could not seem to find what he sought. After a disturbingly long period of time trying in vain to focus inward, he felt the cool of a shadow pass over him.

Opening his eyes and lifting his head, the Orc squinted up expecting to see someone. He did not. Peering about, he saw no one around. He stood then, letting his gaze roam the wavering horizon, wondering at what had happened.

"My Chief."

The familiarity of the voice reached him before the surprise did, and so Grimgor was not alarmed. It was a voice he had heard many times. Without turning to look at his friend, he asked, "What is it, Wulfgor?" When silence greeted his question, he offered, "Not enough trouble to be had in Feralas? You are back earlier than I expected."

Wulfgor's deep voice rumbled out a growl. Or was it another sound? "I have completed my task there. My brother, Deohawk, he has sufficient gold for his Kodo mount now."

"And now you wish a challenge."

"Yes."

Grimgor, Chief of the Sons of Draenor, turned and took a good look at his old friend. Wulfgor was rugged as ever, his hood drawn back to reveal numerous scars earned over all the trials he had faced since taking the Hunter's path. Like Grimgor's own scarred plate, Wulfgor's mail was pitted and scuffed but his tabard, prominently displaying the symbol of the Horde, shone out in bold, unmistakable colors. The way the Orc stood at ease under the inspection -- informal though it was-- his eyes scanning their surroundings as they always did, made the Chief's eyes tighten in a brief moment of mirth. As always, Wulfgor was an example of the sort Grimgor needed in the Sons. That was why he was Champion.

"What do you know of Clan Skullcrusher?" asked Grimgor.

"Some. They seem to be sound and loyal to the Warchief. My experience with them is not what I would consider complete, but if you asked me to fight alongside them, I would do so without hesitation."

Grimgor was silent for a long time, his gaze returning to the horizon. It was a long time before anyone spoke.

"Why do you ask, Chief?"

Grimgor blinked, then turned his head and gave his Champion a snaggle-toothed smile. "Because I seek a challenge, too, as do the rest of the Sons."