Guild Wars

Huato

I know this game has been out for a while, but have never tried it. The idea of no subscription fee is very appealing. So who has tried it, and what do you think of it?

I LOVE Guild Wars. I bought it just after I stopped playing SWG. The graphics are simply beautiful. The story-driven missions are intense and well written. There are numerous mini-quests you can do throughout a huge world. All quests, solo or group, and missions are instanced. You don't have to wait in a queue to get into them either. The main cities and ports are not instanced though, they are the only places you might experience lag - with my low end machine and notebook computer, I hardly get any lag at all. The tutorial you go through after creating a character is the MOST helpful one I have ever went through.

The level is capped at 20 for now, it will be extended when the expansion comes out this Spring .. and that expansion looks AWESOME!

I have 4 characters on the game:

Nadjia Rhazzka level 20- Elementalist/Monk

Katya Navorski level 11-Warrior/Necromancer

Raynebow Mistwalker level 10- Ranger/Monk

Harli Kwin level 7- Mesmer/Monk

The game is NOT entirely PvP, I do all PvE when I am on there. You can do PvP/GvG if you want with a guild you join, but ya don't have to ( took me ages to find a decent guild to join).

I highly recommend this game to everyone! It's very nice not to have to pay every month for it.

hmm.. compared to WoW ... kinda hard .. I play and love them both. In my opinion they are very different games, playing wise. Cause ya don't get extra stuff like the professions in WoW ... just your main and secondary talents (like warrior/monk). And you can mix these talents however you please. All in all, they are both 10's on a scale of 0 to 10.

As for how fast you can get to 20, I dunno really. Power levellers do it in a month or less, me ... well, I'm not one of those. Took me about 2 months. Still lots of things to do after you get the level cap. Scary dungeons and nice weapons/loot/armor to go adventuring for, stuff like that.

I have guild wars also and love the scenics and the quests provided. Economy is alike in a few ways. It took me only a few days to get to level 9, but I never left the begining zone.

It can be very video intensive at times. But really not much more than WoW. Combat is similar to WoW. But I never played it anymore than a week.

Guest Larir

I have a lvl 20 warror/ranger named Larir. I love the graphics, but the game itself seems like an entry MMO in my opinion. Way tooo many little kids on and the difficulty is rather easy IMO.

Thanks for the input.

As far as kids go, that's to be expected on a MMO that has no fee. parents are less likely to buy a game for their kids if they also have to pay a monthly fee, so the maturity level tends to be higher on fee based games.

If I could get a free trial period on it I'd give it a go. I'm going to check out their site and see what's there regarding the game.

Edited by Huato

2 months to get level 20 Renee?Tsk tsk, took me 6 days lol, another 2 to finish all the quests and missions, then another 3 weeks for elite skills, is a fun game though if you aren't hardcore, they have just brought in much more content recently so much more to do than before. PvP is overly structured like WoW though, can definitely draw a few parallels between the games, oh and the toons dance great :dancing_smile:

Edited by Arkan'

• 1 month later...

I'll be getting the expansion/standalone Guild Wars Factions to add to my collection next weekend. This weekends game money is set aside for Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition.

On GW I have:

Nadjhia Rhazzka lvl 20 Elementalist/Monk

Katya Navorski lvl 11 Warrior/Necromancer

Raynebow Mistwalker lvl 10 Ranger/Monk

Harli Kwin lvl 10 Mesmer/Monk

• 1 year later...

old thread just noticed after reviving my dead computer :)

I play guild wars from time to time, if you ended up picking it up have to drop me a line so I can get you all on my friends list

I think my main is Crikrunner there too , haven't logged in for awhile