Mythic is being sued

Lorraina

I post this here because it is of interest no matter what game you play. The issue is over selling game items/accounts on online auctions such as ebay. Mythic has taken a tough stand against it, so tough they are now being sued over it.

Mythic Sued

What do you think? In some way or another this will effect all of us who play any online game.

Since my knee is keeping me awake....I am really catching up on post reading...hehhe.

My thoughts on the whole ebay thing is...

A) players buy game (REAL)and pay fee for time in game on servers equipment...rent (REAL)

B) players participate in fantasy (NOT REAL) and players create items (NOT REAL) and or the fiction (NOT REAL)

C) some players develope items (NOT REAL) and fiction (NOT REAL) so deep it gains a value to the masses participating in game

D) some levels of game operators utilize this growth (NOT REAL) and fiction (NOT REAL) to develope more areas for expansion sales and new fees to the player base.

For one reason or another a operator or member of the game operation team leaves job OR is promoted...both based on recent work success (REAL) in game operations role.

For one reason or another a player decides to leave the online game they have spent time (REAL)developing thier characters (NOT REAL) and the fictions around them and with various achieved items (NOT REAL)

The person leaving the game operations role was rewarded a salary to support the engine all along.

The person leaving the participation in the game was rewarded FUN and entertainment all along.

OPPS but what is this???....someone wishes to take over or utilize the fictional item (NOT REAL) or character (NOT REAL)that was created over time (REAL) by a persons imagination, commitment and creativity(REAL) and they are willing to compensate(REAL) the player for his time(REAL) imagination(REAL), commitment(REAL) and creativity(REAL)?

Hmmm.....the game operator chose freely to be promoted and to a new compensation for thier time based on thier successful use of personal resources (time, imagination, commitment and creativity)

Player leaving accepts offer for compensation for thier past successful use of personal resources (time, imagination, commitment and creativity)

Hmmm now then....the game operator has ALWAYS been receiving rewards(REAL) in the form of paychecks for doing thier job in providing the engine, servers and support basically FROM THE PLAYERS.

Interestingly the Player is the ACTUAL CREATOR and intellectual OWNER of the fictional history of the characters and the items they create (building or accumulating...everything is still being 'created' by the player using his minds eye and intellect)...they and thier items are still NOT REAL and thier value is still based in the mind of other players.

This "value" and desire to aquire is based on player to player and has nothing to do with the game operations.  Game operations exists with providing the padded room for players to enter...the stories, characters and items they develope and share with others inside that padded room all is part of the fiction/creation done by the players for the game operators.

Without the players the game would not exist more than an empty room of possibilities and potential....a program with no users.

When someone leaves the padded room....the game operators should be happy the fictional NOT REAL stuff is utilized and kept active.....it is what keeps the ink full in the pen that the game operators paychecks are written with.

Both sides should be happy....being happy is alot more FUN.

ps...man that is a twisted ride to read....remember this I guess....

Freedom holds infinite choices.

Online is a form of REALITY.

Imagination is priceless.

Buy or Sell....the choice is yours.

You are FREE.

Picking my way through that post, heh, I agree with you completely.  If one wishes to sell his/her acomplishments, and one wishes to buy anothers accomplishments, it should be fair game.  

For example, Jon has been playing Ever Dark Shadow Online, for three years.  He has been paying $20 a month for three years.  that comes out to $720 that he has fed to the company that owns the game.  Now, he has grown tired of it.  However, Sally wants to play the game.  She has seen her friends play EDSO and has even toyed around with a Halfdwarven Beast Thane of the court Cazic Lancelot.  However, she wants it big, and she wants it now.  

Jon is gonna stop paying and stop playing.  Lets say Sally wants to play and she will probably be playing for 3 years, but wont play unless she can find a Halfdwarven Beast Thane of the court of Cazic Lancelot at a high lvl.  She is willing to buy the hard time that someone has spent lvling and gaining equipment for this char.  Low and Behold, Sally wants exactly what Jon has.  So now Sally's happy, Jon's happy, cause he sold his char for $500, and the programmers of EDSO are happy, cause they aren't gonna lose $720.00.

Personally, I wouldn't buy things like this off of Ebay and the such.  But, there are people like Sally who do want to.  So be it.  And to quote you Borg, "Buy or Sell....the choice is yours. You are FREE."

Well from my perspective (not knowing the law and big words)

I disagree.

Once of the most frustrating parts of UO was and still is dealing with ebayers.

I have no problem with someone leaving the game and passing their stuff on to a friend. We all know this isn't the problem. My first was giving to me by someone leaving for EQ. It's the people that turn the game into a way to make real money I have a problem with. EX= the reagent campers with their pack horses was almost impossible.

You had more angry players than happy ones. Ex= the house mess. No one sells in game , they sell for real money. It now becomes a game for power levelers and those with cash.

Oh well life isn't fair.

I don't know what the law will decide. I just know it will make things worse for the average player if they do win. Only time will tell.

I agree with Borg.  The time and energy (not to mention relationship strife) is worth more than a dead account once I decide to leave the game. *Over my dead body!, she shouts*  I will likely choose a successor to my belongings through on-line friendships, or simply fail to renew my account.

However, the time spent may merit enough worth to the community as a whole in fantasy to  possibly equate real-life value.  I believe that each account should be autonomous within the realm, assuming all responsibility for transactions both fortuitous and bogus.  Each then is accountable to the GM department to arbitrate the community as a whole; sanctions may be placed, warnings and suspensions may be metted out to the offenders.

I wish to leave the EQ community.  I place a value on my character development and determine to extract from a sucessor an amount which seems fair.  The purchaser assumes my account track record, which may be good or bad, my social status, my equipment / cash,  my levels.  To the GMers, there is no change in income, there is no immediate change in the game environment, there is no undo leverage of game wealth / power than there was before.  Nothing has changed except the primary holder of the EULA.

Let the on-line obsession continue to grow!  Allow "controlled" auctioning for MMORPG's!