Help a Warrior

zilog

A question on group roles:

Who's responsibility is it to pick up the mob peeling on the priest?? MT holds agro, does that include the peel? MA is dps dealer, would be quicker for him to get agro, but he's directing the dps of the team, everyone's assisting him. I honestly don't know/can't find/unable to deduce the answer to this.

thanks in advance

quote from AC group roles:

"MA (Main Assist) - This person is the focal point for the group's firepower. Everyone should be targetting the same mob, always. That mob should be THIS person's target."

:rofl:

And the MT is running around franticly "trying" to get agro? Doesn't that then make the MA the tank?

Suddenly it makes sense that the MT should NOT run around, rather stick on the pulled mob, do his shouts on the others, but concentrate on one mob, leaving the DPS dealer to manage any peels and the tank to keep an eye on the DPS dealer's health, to step in if needed.

Let me know if I'm missing something. So far, following the posted model has not worked in my experiences.

I have a lot of experiance doing this, so Ill weigh in here.

Your job as MT is to make everyone beating on you. Ideally, this means that you wont hav eto move however thats not always possible. You should be attacking every mob in a given pull to spread your aggro out.

In an average pull for instance :

Bloodrage

Shield block / revenge target one, hit a few times, maybe shield bash.

When revenge lights up again, revenge mob two, then start hitting mob 3. Shield bash mob 2.

If mob 1 gets away from you due to DPS you then taunt that off and back to you (only use taunt to regain aggro -never to build it).

The reason MA doesnt peel is because then the DPS would move to that target. You want the MA focused on one target till it dies, no exception (This is to keep all the dps constant and not helter skelter). As MT your target will likely be changing every 4 seconds in a multi pull.

This goes out the window in MC Type places of course, where basically you tank A mob and hope you dont die :rofl:

I have a lot of experiance doing this, so Ill weigh in here.

Your job as MT is to make everyone beating on you. Ideally, this means that you wont hav eto move however thats not always possible. You should be attacking every mob in a given pull to spread your aggro out.

In an average pull for instance :

Bloodrage

Shield block / revenge target one, hit a few times, maybe shield bash.

When revenge lights up again, revenge mob two, then start hitting mob 3. Shield bash mob 2.

If mob 1 gets away from you due to DPS you then taunt that off and back to you (only use taunt to regain aggro -never to build it).

The reason MA doesnt peel is because then the DPS would move to that target. You want the MA focused on one target till it dies, no exception (This is to keep all the dps constant and not helter skelter). As MT your target will likely be changing every 4 seconds in a multi pull.

This goes out the window in MC Type places of course, where basically you tank A mob and hope you dont die :rofl:

thanks Kaer,

The scenerio is

I pull, 3 mobs on me, 2 others go around after casters, 3 mobs trail me as i whack on #4, whackx3, get mob4, work on 5, mob 1 is laying into the rogue, got 5, go to 1, I get healed, 2 peels for priest, run to 2, lose 3 etc. etc.

It seems as though, I can NOT gain agro AND absorb damage for the group at the same time. While I am running around, the rogue is getting beat on because he is on one mob and doing dps. Still need clarification on this.

Sounds like you are suffering from bad group syndrome. This is how pulling should work.

You pull. When the 3 mobs come in, you hit the first one. As they run in, you hit Demo shout (you should be in Def stance). This will aggro them all on you. MA will attack your target. from there, you hit shield block to get some revenges.

Once revenge lights up revenge your mob. Now start building aggro on mobs 2 and three and stop hitting mob one. Your dps should kick in at this point, all on mob 1.

What should not be happening during the pull is any DPS attacking your mob. they should know to give you 2-3 seconds of solo time before they lay in. Even worse is if they attack whomever they want. Its near impossible to hold aggro in that situation.

If a mage is AOEing its equally hard. I have found using Piercing howl and Demo shout with revenge and shield bash/slam to be the best. Sunder is strictly for Boss tanking - its far too expensive to use on trash mobs.

No amount of good tanking will save you if your group doesnt understand what you need to tank well. If the priest puts a PWS on you for example before the pull, and then the mage opens up with Blizzard youre going to have a hell of a time holding aggro.

Edited by Kaerfiremane

Often you will need to remind nuking/healing happy folks to lay off and let you dig in before they let loose. If you give the warning and they still dont listen save the healer first and let the others bite the dust. AOErs especially, its an art to aoeing at the right time.

Once revenge lights up revenge your mob. Now start building aggro on mobs 2 and three and stop hitting mob one. Your dps should kick in at this point, all on mob 1.

Kaer, put this to the test last night, and I think your quote above, really helped the most. Waiting for the mob to turn to me was my problem, instead of trusting the dps to build up.

Many thanks. Hopefully the days of tanking-hellish-nightmares-from-hell-instances, are behind me. Cause every instance was hell for me.

Much better now. Had my group make a macro on the spot to /assist MA, that helped too.

:rofl:

Glad to see I helped! :rofl:

Key to remember is that certain powers you have are aggro magnets. Specifically :

Revenge

Shield Bash

Shield Slam

Heroic Strike

Sunder Armor

Demorolizing Shout

Revenge is bar none the most angering move, ever. Def stance gives you a 10% bonus to threat generation, and if you specced prot you get 15% bonus on top of that from Defiance, so you are talking serious threat.

A defensive stance warrior who hits a mob first, then does a demo followed by Shieldblock/revenge and 1 or 2 swings owns a mob for at least 5 more seconds.

Shield slam is great if you are prot as well, glues you to a mob.