Shadow and Spirit

Volonazra

The bonfires rage around the Skullcrusher warcamp. The sounds of smithies hard at work and the smell of roasting meat fill the night air. Peons busily rush to and fro on their errands. Meanwhile the elders share tall tales with the clan children, who listen and laugh up at the full moon. Volonazra, watching from his tower, couldn't help but be pleased with the scene. The clan was prospering. The hardships of life on Azeroth seemed far away. The camp, an oasis calm in the harsh desert of struggles. Yet, Volonazra was uneasy.

Many years had past since he first set upon the Path of Shadow. He had mastered the dark arts yet was left wanting. He was unfulfilled. He was weary from the constant stuggle to maintain control over the darkness which hounded him. The struggle drove many of his craft to madness or corruption. He wondered if this was the grand trick of the Shadow path. Such power, but at such a price. In the end, who would control his soul.

Volonazra decided a visit to Master Gadrin in Sen'jin may give him some direction. In the past the elder troll had been able to put Volonazra at ease with a few simple words. So, off into the night he rode hoping to catch the old troll before he retired to bed. The evening torches still burned and the village was alive with dancing and drumming. Volonazra found Master Gadrin was inside his hut performing a healing ritual on a young troll poisoned by a scorpid sting. He knew better than disturb the ritual even if it was more only for ceremonial effect than needed for one of Gadrins power.

When Volonazra could get the elder alone, he entered the hut and sat upon one of the woven meditation rugs. The master smiled and lit some sage and began circling the smoke around Volonazra. "Let da yoke of ya's troubles not burden ya so harshly youngin." he said with a chuckle. Volonazra began to say: "Da reasun me come here.." Gadrin cut him off with by abruptly extinguishing the sage bundle in his palms, and said:"Go back ta da fire. Let da fire cleanse ya and give ya new life." Then he rubbed the ash upon his hands across Volonazra's forehead and cheeks. Then, he gathered up his juju and withered walking stick and headed for the door. Volonazra followed and boggled at the insight of the elder shaman.

Into the hills south of Sen'jin the two walked. When they reached the base of the mountains, Gadrin said:"Go into da mountain, we come from da mountain. Go upon da mountain it will turn ya life around." Volonazra did not question the master. He began to climb the slopes and looked back for Gadrin. Gadrin only nodded and laughed, pointing toward the summit.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

• 3 weeks later...

Upon the summit, Volonazra found a simple stone monolith with ancient runes carved into it. Studying the runes he discovered they were instructions for communing with the spirit of the land. Following the ancient instructions he began chanting awaiting the arrival of the spirit. The dust and rock began to swirl around him and the monolith. At the climax of the ritual the runes began to glow. Then the monolith took began to change. The monolith seemed to take into itself the swirling rock and dirt began to form first arms, then legs, and soon a massive body sat in front of Volonazra. Volonazra finished and the spirit began to speak. "Who awakens me from eternal slumber?" it rumbled. Volonazra bowed his head and said:"It waz me, Volonazra chieftain uv da Skullcrusher clan." Stretching and standing to an enormous height the spirit boomed:"You come to me seeking answers to questions you do not now how to ask." Volonazra quitely nodded. The spirit continued:" Then the you must first understand what your spirit would ask. Only then will the answers make sense. I will help you find a guide along this jouney." The earth rumbled and the mountain shook. The massive spirit formed a cave with its mass around Volonazra. He heard:" Meditate upon why you have come here." In time Volonazra saw a snake approach. It slithered around him several times and came to a rest in front of him. The snake looked at Volonazra and flicked its tongue. "Am yuu da guide?":he asked. The snake only blinked seeming to be waiting for something. Volonazra reached for the snake and it did not move. He held it and looked for something, some sign of what he was to do. At last, there came a hiss. Volonazra didnt know how but it communicated with him. Like the voice in ones head while thinking. He was told:"I am your guide, I am you. I am your shadow and spirit. I am life and am death.

to be continued....

Edited by Volonazra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

...The spirit guide continued: "Shadow is not the abscence of light in your realm. Shadow is lights shield." Looking rather confused, Vol thinks: How can this be? The spirit wriggles out of his hand and onto the ground. It coils up and looks intently toward the watching orc. Slowly, the spirits physical skin begins to dry, then harden. Uncoiling and rubbing slowly upon the rocky ground the seemingly live snake goes grey and apparently dies. Volonazra shuffles and gets on all fours and bends down to inspect the creature. Slowly the snakes skin cracks around his mouth. Soon the snake is moving again, and is shedding its outter skin. Finally, it is free of its dead form and coiled up before the befuddled orc. A wave of realization overcomes Volonazra. A wide toothy grin overtakes him. He understands the lesson.

Volonazra realizes for the first time the amount of time he's been up on the mountain. His mouth was dry and cracked, and his stomach ached with hungar. Scooping up the snake and wrapping it atop his staff, he began his journey home. He became overwhelmed at the thought of how much he still had to learn. But, he had taken a large step in his daunting quest. He was relieved, and overjoyed with the understanding his spirit walk had given him. His soul was still his.

And thus began Volonazra's journey along the Path of Shadow AND Spirit, and the beginning of many more lessons....

Edited by Volonazra