Guild Wars

Hothgorn TheBlack

Yup, no monthly fee. Updates are free (lest expansions). Expected races will be added in expansions. The best description i've heard so far is like Diablo in many ways (makes sense, considering it's been made by the core x employees from blizzard north) No permanent penalties for death, can hire Npc's to add to your group. Pretty.

a good source of info is: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/

anywho, let me know. I'll pick it up tonight methinks

-bj

So, my highest character is lvl 8..... i know i know, i'm a slacker.....but i like exploring so there. About ready to go "post searing". I think i'm ready. I have my backpack full of dye, belt pouches, and about 70+ iron ingots. See ya in the burn!

Just hit level 10 today with our mains, and finally got the money together for a cape - looks great!

Saw you online today, Hoth, and tried to send you a tell, but you never responded. I don't think they stand out well enough. Will try again next time I catch you online at the same time I am.

Jas

Just hit level 10 today with our mains, and finally got the money together for a cape - looks great!

Saw you online today, Hoth, and tried to send you a tell, but you never responded.  I don't think they stand out well enough.  Will try again next time I catch you online at the same time I am.

Jas

DOH! Yeah, i was online for awhile yesterday, attempting to be oblivious. Just give me a guild invite that'll take care of it. Invites don't go away. Heh. My main is almost lvl 10, i'm mostly running around attempting to get all the bits for new bits of armor. I find something wrong that a lump of coal costs 10 wood planks and 200 gold. :0

Other than that, i'll see ya on tonight maybe? I look foward to getting smeared across the pretty landscape with you all ;) . As of late i've been hunting charr only, i have this pretty hammer that does +25 damage to them....It's so nice to bonk them for 106 points!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, where to start......

It's pretty, real pretty. The lighting and effects are splendid. I spent the first night wondering around marvelling at fields of grain blowing in the wind, and the pretty water. The spell effects are nice also. There are a large amount of weapons and items carried, i find myself changing weapons just to see what they look like in game. Sometimes, i find some animations repetitive, but not so bad as to think it hinders the game. There is no grind to the game, if you are grinding for a level, you are doing it by choice. There are plenty of missions to keep you busy. I've done missions and grinding for loot and experience. PvP is done by choice, you can make a PvP character at the very start that has maxed it's level and is able to fight in guild battles. The current level cap is 20. This will go up eventually. A roleplaying character can also PvP, by going to arenas in different parts of the realm. Roleplaying characters start at lvl 0..er...or is it 1? You have 4 character slots, and there is only ONE server. There are different districts (shards if you will) for each public area. Adventure zones are not public. They are only for you and your group. I like this idea, because i'm horrible at sharing >:L . Death doesn't cost you in the long run, it lowers your hitpoints and energy while you stay in the zone, but it disappears through experience and leaving the zone. This may sound easy, sometimes starting a zone over is a huge pain (heh). If you do die, you will resurrect at the nearest shrine (hopefully in the zone). Oh...and it's free to play online.

There are 6 classes: Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Elementalist, Mesmer (illusionist), and Necromancer. The player, early in his/her career will choose another profession, (out of the same list) before moving out of the "pretty newbie zone". Each original class has it's perks, abilities that one can invest into that no other class will have a chance to. Warrior get Strength (armor penetration/ more damage). Rangers get Expertise (reduced ability cost on energy meter). Monks get Divine Favor (increase healing, buff, and other spells effectiveness). Elementalists get Energy Storage (increases energy storage). Mesmers get Fast Casting (Increased casting speed). Necromancers get Soul Reaping (You gain energy when something dies). The secondary class does not provide these perks, secondary classes do provide an extra edge. Skills go up with points earned by level and some select missions. At early levels one get only a few points, this will go up at higher levels. Because of the point system, a player will invest in a few select skills from both classes. This makes characters very different, having several skills to select from, fitting your play style. Some missions will reward you with free skills.

Adventuring is easy, you get your own zone to play in. If you don't seem to have any friends, you can "invite" henchmen to party with you. They can be very useful. I've had good and bad luck with them, but i usually take the healer henchwoman if anyone. You do not have to hire henchmen. They come along and take a share of loot, gold and experience for their help (just like real players).

Items..... It's a lot like Diablo actually, creatures drop items. There are several actions one can take with the loot. 1. It can be salvaged with a salvage kit, which allows you to stack up raw materials that can be made into other items, armor, or something else that is more useful to you. Armor is customized, so you'll need to get some raw materials to make it.

2. Use right away. Sometimes the monsters will drop and item or weapon you can use right away.

3. Sell for gold. Nothing wrong with that. Some items you can sell to a merchant. Some items you should simply auction. Dyes sell really well (to other players)

4. Find a collector that will trade something for the items for something usable

Some missions will give you items or weapons to use also.

Magic and special stuff: Some drops will be magical. They're color coded for your convenience (the names, not the weapons silly). Like Diabo, Blue means Run of the mill magical. Yellow means better, much better. Purple means you have something really nice. Now keep in mind some items that are magical aren't directly usuable by the player. This is where a expert salvage kit comes in handy. You have a slight chance to salvage what makes that item magical. This works even for usuable items. I've gotten a haft off of an axe that i can now "upgrade" another axe with. One can get runes this way, which can be sold to other players or applied to your own items.

So far, i like it a lot. I know i'm missing all sorts of stuff, but this is pretty much what i can tell ya about right off the bat. It's pretty, i think it's fun. and of coarse IT'S FREE PLAY ONLINE. Hope this helps.

-bj

Edited by Hothgorn TheBlack

Hey Hoth,

Yeah, we had a great time on vacation.

We haven't been on much in the last few days, but I am sure we will manage to connect soon.

I bet you are getting up there in level by now. How high are you?