Hey there! Gotta quick question about UO

nadjia rhazzka

After reading the Main UO webby, I am very interested in this game. There is one question I have that the answer will probably sway my decision to join it or not .. are the skills/professions advanced by leveling in a skill tree like SWG? *I hope not!* I am looking for a game that is much like the old Dungeons and Dragons games where you can just level by adventuring and such ... not having to 'grind' through 12 different types of stages in say, Tailor, to make an awesome set of pants .. ya know?

Okay I thought of another question ..so there are 2 :smoke:

What is the monthly fee to play this wonderful game?

I appreciate any input!

*tips her hat to ya*

*the answers are probably right in front of me, if only this coffee would wake me up faster!!*

Edited by nadjia rhazzka

There are no levels at all. Its purely skill-based. you hit things with your sword, u gain sword fighting. U cast spells, u gain in magery. Etc ...

$12.95/mth

UO is based on skill utilization but not in terms of LEVELS like the current trend of other games.

In the early days (1997 and 1998) a comment made on several occassions was that "everything in the game has a purpose and in time will be craftable".....or able to be found.....with a few exceptions for the historical issues.

Instead of levels with batch ability to produce or new actions you can do....products and abilities are results on your "Professional Efficiency" of a skill. 100% means you could make all the items with the very least possible failure on the best items. Some other skills ENHANCE your products or success etc of the action based on the other skills level as well.

In a good way to look at it.....you are a summation of your skill parts.

How well you do in the game though is tied to your ability to use your skills at the current level AND your ability to tactically play the game in terms of PvM or PvP.......but ALSO in terms of your social skills and ability to roleplay the character.

While Roleplaying has lost a ton....TON of weight in the world of the game and counts less than it does in terms of "being able to talk your way in/out of a PvP situation when you know you are outgunned etc.....there are very strong pockets of activity for this persuit. The current ingame events revolve around this aspect of COMMUNITY activity....always have and always will.

The game was designed for "community" developments and to provide a blank canvass for players to develope whatever kind of character they dreamed up.

"Does Grinding occur?"

Grinding does occur and you could do this to work on your non combat roles using resources to move you up the "creating" list of products you can make....just like trade skills in SWG.......just your call on how much time to spend doing it to move your skills up in such.

An example of grinding though that we have done in past has been......

For Combat, Medical, Defensive or Magical training we would basically group together and "spar" train on eachother within the guild making sure to beat the hell out of each other at the same time we kept each other alive in the various methods........medicinal or magic.

For Non-Combat skills we have done resource gathering events (hides from nasty dragons etc) that we all pile up then after the events dish out to the participants that would like to use the supplies on thier tailors in thier leisure time.

Our guild....the vision we have for the UO experience is pretty much a simple one but the most deep in context and options that you can persue.......every job you can think of has a segment of the Empire and the system is designed as to provide guidance for growth in whichever of those fields you dream of persuing. We utilize or LEGION units to defend and adventure into the realm of unkown so that we can provide our CITIZENS (alternates not combat) the means to live thier lives (persue thier professions and your dreams or your curiosities of skill combinations) safely and productively.

UO is more a game from WITHIN/BY the player base than a game TO/FOR the player base.

(sadly a lost point to many over the years....kewldoods, powergamers, antisocials)

I can honestly say I have had a ton of fun utilizing the most "useless" skill wise characters over the years simply due to using the character as an interaction outlet.....just socializing with random players all over the place.

Overall UO is more a leisurely (sp) paced game vs the other game engines which you MUST....MUST grind through a set number of steps or activities to have anychance of increasing your next "visions" or "opportunities". UO allows you to go anywhere and try anything at anytime for the most part....maybe not safely....where there is a will there is a way....in the other games......there is just a way that you will have to do in order to go here or there.

This answer has jumped around a bit and honestly.......I could write a complete novel in reply.....but for now I wont hehehe..

If you wish to try the game engine.....message me and I will see about setting you up for a free month trial.

NOTE: the whole basis for the The Honor Empire website is to provide "homes" in multiple game engines (for members of all the game guilds) to explore and try out....change of pace....support and enhance the growing online gaming industry experience. The worst thing that can occur to anyone in online gaming is....BURNOUT. It happens to the best of us and in the majority of games the "LEVELING" requirement seems to always lead to that end. The desire to be "first" to do yada yada or "quickly" be able to do this-or-that.....is compelling and fed by our natural human competitive nature.

We just aim to try and provide a family/fun/good of the many approach to the game engine and experience. The power of choice is the ultimate power in the online gaming world.....you have it.....explore it. Dont burn out....the friendships you forge will help you in/out of the game engines...dont let BURNOUT limit the real benefit to The Honor Empire....expanding your online family AND realworld circle of friends.

See you on the inside....whichever that game engine may be.

thanks so much for the input, lots of awesome info in there. Now to get hubby to read it so we may purchase the game :smoke:

*yes, I am burnt out on SWG and its levelling ways*

*hugs*

Very well said Pater. Nadjia if you decide to give UO a shot, contact me via icq. The Guardians will help you anyway we can, as the primary basis within our order is "The needs of the many".

Strength and HONOR!

Logan

I think there are two important factors to the UO experience:

1] As Borg says, you can experience everything. Yep we can take you out to see an Ancient Lich Lord the first day you're born. And then you'll die. But at least you get to *see* the damn thing and be shocked and awed.

2] Travel is a breeze. The functionality of recall and gate magic again allows you to *experience* all the environments the designers spent so much time on.

I for one enjoy skill based games as opposed to level-treadmills like everquest. So I enjoy that aspect of UO and I enjoyed that aspect of SWG.

The other feature of UO which drew me back was the ability to SEE everything. No tedious running for hours (though I do sometimes to find new things). If I feel like hunting, I recall to a hunting spot and HUNT. I don't spend an hour getting buffs from some doctor, then 15 minutes waiting for a ship, then 20 minutes driving a speederbike across a barren and computer generated countryside.

Its a relaxed game, there's plenty of things to do and plenty of creatures to see and places to go. And as I said above, the best part is you can actually do it all without grinding out skills beforehand! You won't necessarily conquer everything, but at least you can check it out!

-LizShue

Yup, this is sounding more like the game for me and Jan'Dai. Although .. it might be hard to tear us away from Middle Earth when that finally arrives. So, lemme get him to read these lovely replies and perhaps be born into a new game :D

*I'll keep ya posted*

{{hugs}}

Okay ... you have helped convince me into playing this Ultima Online.

Here's my next questions .. (new at buying games with expamsion packs) which one do I buy or should I just wait til June 21st to get the 7th Anniversary Edition? And will I have to purchase 2 copies so I can have an account on each computer? (so hubby and I can play on same server).

I wanna play REAL bad :D

Thanks much!

*hugs*

Edited by nadjia rhazzka

Most updated copy as of now...Age Of Shadow's...but if you want the extra items wait till 21 Jun 04.

Not nessacary to buy a copy for each comp, but you'll have to set up two accounts.(unless you plan on playing on the same account which means you wont be able to play at same time) Now if you want the extra items for each account with new expansion, I believe you will have to buy two disks (atleast thats how it was for AOS)

One other little tidbit...One house per account.

Hope this helps.

Strength and HONOR!

Logan

Oh my! 5.99?! And I was astonished to see Asheron's Call for $8.00 at Circuit City!!

Well, we are going to Wally World tonight for some shopping, I will see what they have.

Thank you for the offer Devlin ... yet hubby says to me 'Patience Grasshopper!' ../smiles

So if I do see a good price on Age of Shadows, I will grab it up. If not, I will wait til the 21st and get teh newest one.

*hugs*

I will install my ICQ again Lord Logan and give ya a jingle when I make it to the shard.

Nadjia ... hmm .. gotta come up with a new name ... FUN!