Character Stats Question

Kozz

All:

I've mentioned to a few people (Steel, Hudson) that I'm going to have lots of gameplay questions since I've only returned now after being gone since 1996 (yeah, a LONG time). Things are very different now, and lots is confusing. If anyone can, please help me with the following questions:

• What is the max STR one can achieve without any magical enhancements?
  • What should my AR and resistances be if completely naked?
  • Why might my AR be at -40 when I've stripped down to nothing (no clothing, armor or jewelry)?
  • If all else fails, how can I nullify all magical enhancements and be sure that my "baseline" stats are correct?

I thought my weird AR was because of reactive armor or arch protection, but I can't tell. I've tried to cast Dispel on myself to remove any/all magical effects, but it always fizzles (because then I've taken off a ring and bracelet which have magery bonuses).

I'm sure there's something I'm missing, as it just doesn't make any sense.

Putting on all my armor (and casting reactive armor / arch protection) eventually get me to about 51 AR, but that seems darned low, too, since I think I've got fairly nice stuff.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

--Kozz

What is the max STR one can achieve without any magical enhancements?

--If Im not mistaken, as of AOS the LOWEST any one stat can be is 10, if you have max stat cap (255) then it is possible to have for example: 10str 10dex 135int, this is not recommended but just an example.

What should my AR and resistances be if completely naked?

--Assuming you do not have the magic resistance skill, it should be 0. Gm magicresistance it would be 40, legendary magicresistance it would be 44.

Why might my AR be at -40 when I've stripped down to nothing (no clothing, armor or jewelry)?

--There are three spells that affect your armor resists: reactive armor, protection, and magic reflection. My guess is since youve tried the other 2, its prolly cuz you have magic relfection on, Ill explain more in next question.

If all else fails, how can I nullify all magical enhancements and be sure that my "baseline" stats are correct?

--Those three spells are called toggle spells, meaning you cast it, it turns it on, you cast it again, it turns it off, or vice versa. I would suggest stripping nekkid, and casting/recasting those three spells, that should fix it surely :D

Side note: This may be redundant but since you havent played since 1996. AR has been split up into categories: physical,fire,cold,poison,energy. Max AR is 70, but i think thats alwasy been that way. If you have 50plus in every resist, and you PvM,thats not bad at all, I wouldnt go any lower than that. Getting an all 70s resist suit is very difficult not to say expensive, Ive been playing off and on for 4 yrs and the best suit I have now is 70 62 67 67 67. What I did prior was have a suit for every elemental resist depending on what monster I was fighting, thats the armor I used. And mods are important now too, they can add to your mana/stamina/hitpoints, help them regenerate faster, as well as others. Hope this helps!!

Kozz,

The spells of "Protection", "Reflective Armor" and "Magic reflection" have been altered since the early days. They now offer certain advantages, but also create a certain weakness. These are detailed below. The spells themselves operate like a switch. Cast once its on. Cast again and its off.

Reactive Armor: The reactive armor spell increases the caster's physical resistance, while lowering the caster's elemental resistances. 15 + (Inscription/20) Physcial bonus -5 Elemental

The reactive armor spell has an indefinite duration, becoming active when cast, and deactivated when re-cast.

Protection: Players under the protection spell effect can no longer have their spells "disrupted" when hit.

Players under the protection spell have decreased physical resistance stat value, a decreased "resisting spells" skill value by -35, and a slower casting speed modifier (technically, a negative "faster cast speed") of 2 points.

The protection spell has an indefinite duration, becoming active when cast, and deactivated when re-cast.

Reactive Armor, Protection, and Magic Reflection will stay on—even after logging out, even after dying—until you “turn them off” by casting them again.

Magic Reflection: The magic reflection spell decreases the caster's physical resistance, while increasing the caster's elemental resistances.

Physical decrease = 25 - (Inscription/20). Elemental resistance = +10

(-20 physical, +10 elemental at GM Inscription)

The magic reflection spell has an indefinite duration, becoming active when cast, and deactivated when re-cast.

Reactive Armor, Protection, and Magic Reflection will stay on—even after logging out, even after dying—until you “turn them off” by casting them again.

The -40 you have is a result of cumilitave weaknesses caused by the casting of these spells. In order to get yourself to normal you must cast these spells on yourself to toggle them until you reach the baseline of all 0's unclothed.

As for your AR, it would be good to re-review once you have your baseline intact. Unfortunetly standard armor and even armor that, in the past, was good, will be less so. It may require enchancment which will help. In this day and age the "best" armor is runic made.

As far as Strength is concerned I believe the Cap is 125.

In the days ahead we will work to get you reaquinted with the game and the new rules. We can discuss questions with your template and other matters.

Half the fun, if I remember my early days, is not knowing what lies around the bend.

Edited by Steel DarKnight