The Fire Within

Darkstar

Noon had come to Ogrimmar, the sun glaring down on the busy city below. The very ground seemed to burn, reaching up towards the sun in tendrils of heat and sand. Narod Torug was alone, a rare occaision in the barracks, where he and the some of the other peons slept. He was taking this opportunity to practice some of his waxing powers, those once belonging to the demons of the Burning Legion. He was a warlock, an "oath-breaker" as the word meant among the pink-skins, and in a way he was.

The powers he was learning to harness came from the demons, it was given to the orcs so that they could better eradicate all life from the many worlds the Legion had invaded. When Warchief Thrall and Grom Hellscream had destroyed Mannoroth, the Legion's hold over the orcs was broken, and some of the emancipated orcs still had the evil gift of warlock magic. Narod had possessed the "fire" from an early age, it being the only explanation for his strange powers, his bloodlust, and his more intricate mental problems.

For all intents and purposes, Narod had a normal orcish upbringing. He was involved in the bloodsports as a child, was taught all the old history, and learned to hunt, kill, and die for the good of the Horde. The only thing that distinguished his early life from those of the other orcs was the time he spent honing his demon-fueled powers. At times he was misunderstood, mocked, beaten and scarred by the other orcs, but he was told to expect as much from them.

He was different, the Fire made him unique among the others. They placed him in a group of other orcs who had the "gift." There he learned to control his powers, and after a while, was released into the Horde as a male, grown and ready for duty to the Clan. They placed him among the other peons, he did everything as part of that group. He ate, drank, slept, and breathed as a member of the Skullcrusher Clan. Only in the small hours of the night and during rare occaisions when he was alone could he parctice his powers.

This was one of those chances. Narod knew most of his fellow peons were out tending to the remnants of the Ashenvale Outpost that had fallen to the wretched Night Elves a few days ago. He knew war was here, the Night Elves were as determined and swift as they were ugly, and he also knew that he had preparations to make.

He stood in the center of the room, kneeling down to trace a circle around himself in the dirt. He then drew five runes around the outside of the circle, and connected them with lines to make a star. He placed one final rune in the center of the star, a rune that looked of fang and fire. Drawing in one long breath, Narod began to chant in the dark words he had learned from the Elder. The sigil glowed red with heat, small flames leaping up out of the runes to dance about Narods upraised arms.

Narod was sweating heavily as he drew in another breath and carved more of the demon runes out of the air with his fingers. He could feel his eyes filling up with blood as the vessels burst and his head shook. Continuing the ritual, Narod chanted a few final words, threw his arms up, tossed his head back, and roared with all the force he could muster. Blood red gouts of flame spewed forth from the pentagram, and engulfed his whole body in demonic fire.

He could feel the flames lick at his body, burning away his clothing, scorching his flesh. Oddly enough, he had come to like it. He stood like a statue, arms now drawn across his face, his entire body rigid. The fires roared about him for what seemed like a lifetime, until Narod threw his arms out and choked the flames by his will alone.

Burnt and breathless, Narod fell to his knees. He swept the circle and runes from the dirt floor, dispelling their magic. He stayed there a while, on his knees, trying to hold on to the burning in his muscles, the ache in his back. He let out a long sigh and dressed himself, then made his way out of the barracks to see what work was to be done, and what food was to be had.

(OOC): Okay, just a little story about Narod and his backstory, posted more so i won't forget more than for your reading pleasure, but have fun with it anyways. Let me know if it sucks, always looking to improve my style. Thanks! :cool:

_-Darkstar-_

Yes nice story indeed

Don't worry....I'll have my part on the Ashenville story by Sunday... sorry, I missed that entire thread completely for some reason, didn't know it was my turn again!

Hella nice. Only recommendation I would have would be going back through and checking for a couple spelling/grammar errors, though I doubt most care about that. I'm just pickier than most.

It's great to see someone who can write as well as you can, I'm glad you're with us. :yub:

• 2 weeks later...