Black across the sun

Martok

Proconsul Siun Loresdottar leaned back in the thick leather throne within the Emperor's office.  The dark black chainmail eminated a bright shiny luster in the candlelight.  This was one of her first official functions since being named Proconsul by the Emperor.  She was extremely nervous, but her demeanor gave no hints as to her internal feelings.

The figure sitting across from her was shrouded in darkness.  His sillouette was the only part of his body visible within the chambers.  He waited patiently for the proconsul to respond.

"Your report brings ill news to this office.  Our forces are much abroad, scattered to the corners of the Empire.  There is little standing in their way should they decide to mount a campaign against Olympus," she replied.   Her brow began to show a few beads of sweat, giving a hint that her mind was working at great lengths to process the information from the report.  

The mercenary's report had very much startled her.  The orcs seemed to have licked their wounds from the savage wars, and had massed much of their former strength.  Original estimates thought they would be down for well over two years, yet the Imperial Scout reported otherwise.  

The Proconsul continued," The Emperor is not expected back any time soon, his tour of the Empire has taken him far away from his seat of power.  His majesty sent Praetorian Prefect Brightblade on several errands to the far corners of the empire before he left, taking most of the Praetorians with him.  The majority of the Legion is away on maneuvers in the northern territories.  We are ripe for an attack.  If what you say is true, we find ourselves ill prepared for any type of assault."

Behind the Proconsul, a raven perched upon a stand of ivory began to caw nervously.  Proconsul Siun turned her head to the raven, "Quiet Maivus!  Settle you down!" her voice boomed.  At the Proconsul's feet, a grey-haired wolf slept.  The wolf's breathing was barely audible, yet the mercenary continued to look down at the wolf, as if he saw something more.

"I await your decision, M'lady," croaked the voice beaming with sarcasm.  

The Proconsul stared at the man, as if finalizing her thoughts.  "I shall consider thy news.  I shall call upon ye to this office again in five days time.  I shall deliver to ye my response then."  she asserted.  

It appeared the shrouded figure nodded his head and responded with, "As you wish."  The man's sillouette began to shimmer, and then turned into smoke.  Shortly after, the smoke drew out to the window, and was gone.

Proconsul Siun rubbed her temples, as if trying to relieve the pressure.  "Is he gone Maivus?" she asked.  

"He is gone," replied the raven in the perfect voice of an older man.  The raven then lunged upward into the air, and as it flew outwards from its perch, its shape began to shimmer and enlarge until the shape of the raven was now a shape of a man:  Maivus was Martok!

"What be your counsel old friends?" asked the Procounsel.  Martok walked over to where the wolf appeared to sleep.  Martok's hand began to glow with a white light as he waved his hand over the head of the wolf.  

Within seconds, the shape of the wolf was replaced with no other than Senator Wolf.  As the Senator rose to his feet, he smiled to Martok, as if in silent thanks.  Martok nodded his head in response.

"I do nay trust such filth Lady, especially such filth that uses  magic!" replied the Senator.  Martok shot the Senator a distainful look at his comment.  "Present company accepted of course, my friend!" added the Senator.

"Indeed M'lady, I too agree.  His words can not be counted as fact.  We would be fools to dismiss his words, and just as foolish would we be if we were to take them to heart.  We must find out the truth."

The proconsul nodded her head in agreement.  "Then let us find out what is true.  As Proconsul of the Empire, I order you two, Senator Wolf, Imperator Martok, to travel to the lands of the orcs.  You shall take whatever help ye shall need to complete thy quest.  You have three days time to return to me with thy report, be it good or ill."  The two men nodded their heads to her, and retired from the chambers.  

"We shall begin to mass those that we can for this quest," began Wolf.  

"As you wish M'lord," stated Martok.  "Let us ready our packs and gather our adventurers.  We shall depart from the Barracks in Trinsic."  

"Indeed so my friend.  I shall send ye word when I am ready." replied Senator Wolf.

The Imperator bowed his head, and handed the Senator an amber colored amulet as he left the room.  The Senator smiled at the gift.  

Martok jumped ever so slightly into the air, and pulled his cloak around his side.  In doing so, he was once again transformed into the raven known as Maivus.  Senator Wolf placed the amulet around his neck.  His shoulders began to hunch over, and his body began to shrink.  WIthin moments, the Senator was once again concealed as the grey-haired wolf.

The guards at the door of Olympus was verily shocked to see the large grey wolf jump through the window, as if chasing the raven that had flown out only a moment before.

The wolf padded silently along the wall of the city of Honor.  Making its way to the barracks that housed the Legion of PGoH.  Leaping up through the window it landed softly within the confines of the officers hall.

Moments later the raven drifted in and perched upon the sill.  With a shimmer the two took to their human forms once more.

"I tell ye old friend, there be benefits to takin' the form o' me name sake.  Makes me feel like a young pup agin" stated Wolf.

"Aye.  Don't get too used to it, lest you lose yerself to the beast" the old mage counciled.

Nodding, the Senator of War dropped heavily into his chair.

"Dirty business these orcs.  We had best pay the smelly ones a visit.  What say you Martok? The eve on the morrow.  A small team.  Perhaps we may remind them to keep to where they belong."

The Imperator pulled a chair opposite his friend. "Aye, I was thinking the same.  We shall pay the vermin a visit and ensure they think twice afore turning their beedy eyes our way."

The Senator pulled a tattered map from the drawer.  Scanning the map he jotted down some numbers and circled some markings.

"I took the liberty o' dispatching Hawk to gather some confirmation on the recent reports.  He has returned word that there has been increased activity within the orc stronghold south o' Yew.  Last report had an entire regiment patrolling the area about the fort."

Martok grinned at the Senator's words. "Sounds like good odds to me."

Chuckling, the Senator nodded. "Aye.  We have 'em in quality to be sure.  But even the smelly ones can get past me armor if there be enough o' them.  Nevertheless, I trust the abilities o' the Legion. We shall go."

The mage smiled, a light coming to his eyes. "Aye m'Lord.  I'm sure there are many within the Legion that would welcome the opportunity to stretch their muscles.  Patrolling the walls of Olympus can get tedious for some."

Grinning the Senator nodded. "Make the neccessary arrangements."

"As you wish m'Lord" stated Martok.

With a wave his form shimmered and the raven took to wing.

The Senator smiled to himself and pulled a whetstone from his pouch.  Sitting back in his chair, he began to sharpen his sword.

• 6 years later...