Thoughts

Hothgorn TheBlack

Graphics:

This game has great eye candy. The weather effects are breathtaking, and the landscape is very detailed. I remember one of my first days, I decided to go for a run, just to see what was out there to be seen. I found myself in a vast desert (so vast in fact that I was able to run in a strait line for 10 minutes without stop, then had to take a 5 minute detour around a huge mountian, then ran for 10 minutes more before I finally reached the sea on the other side, at which point I recalled because running back would have taken forever) filled with golums and mummies and such. But when sunset came I litterally stoped to watch it for its sheer beauty. Then when I turned around to get back to exploring, I saw the moonrise, and had to stop again. Best part of the graphics: Cloud watching hehe.

Roleplaying:

Honestly this is in my opinion the weakest point of this game, and its not the designers fault. Right now everyone is so obcessed with leveling that nobody is rping, and its quite irritating. Im doing my part thought! If a lesser race speaks to me I usually just give them an emote like, "Rhamanaveth sizes you up, trying to figure out if you will spoil his dinner." Oh, except the Sslik, who I look at as my poor lost reptilian cousins.

Gameplay:

Pretty fluid once you get the handle of the controls, and the quests are quite amusing. Leveling is very time consuming, but thats a good thing in my mind. Also, its not INCREDABLY hard to outrun the mobs if you step in too deep, so long as you dont wait too long. Thats a major plus in my mind, as I like to explore.

PvP:

Sadly, none yet, out only real enemy is the withered ageas, a nasty force of sentiant undead that are crushing the land.

Crafting:

I like this crafting system a lot. With formulas you have to earn the right to make something, and you can make anything in "batches" which is fantastic. For example, say I want to make a scale that costs 15 sandstone bricks, and I have 60 sandstone bricks on me. All I do is slide up a meter and I can make all 4 at once, so no endless clicking. Oh and another nice feature is that you can set your efficency. In other words you can spend more resources to ensure a success. *example* I want to make a garnet (a gem) I can either risk 1 uncut garnet for 20% sucess, 2 uncut garnet for 40% sucess, 3 uncut garnet for 60% sucess, so on and so forth. As you gain levels, you will require less material for the same formula. Lets say the previous example was at level 1. Well at level 10 my gemcrafting is much higher. Now I can make the same item but it only costs me 3 for 100% sucess, 2 for 66% or 1 for 33%. And as you gain levels you will gather resources much quicker, a fantastic advantage in my mind hehe.

Adventuring:

Honestly besides a few quests Im a little less knowlagable on this one. Combat is very easy and group oriented. The group exp distribution is also on a generous scale, in order to encourage people to work together instead of alone. A level 15 is hard pressed to beat a level 14 critter, but three level 15's are going to own a level 20, and each of them will gain more experiance then if they had each beaten the 14 alone. The quests are good, perticularly for dragons who can gain abilities from them (our version of specialization) and there is a lot of fun loot out there to be had.

Welp, Ill let zemach take a shot at this one, but not before I answer the last question: Longevity. SO far I see no major issues. Everyone ingame seems to love the game, and they are adding more and more content every day. While I can not speak for atari's entier player base, I can speak for myself. I forsee me playing this game for some time to come. *grins*

You'll like WoW crafting then. You can never fail when making the item. You just need to go out and get the materials needed, basically mini quests, like going deep down in a dungeon for some ore.

Archived