Interview with Salvatore and NeoBahamut

Steel DarKnight

Interview with Salvatore and NeoBahamut

*NOTE* Neo, is a former PGoH member.

The Tournament of Champions was held in the last quarter of 2002. Each shard had teams of two sign up to fight in the tournament. The original plans would have the champion team of each shard compete in a tournament to be held on the Test Center shard. Regrettably that never happened. I was able to speak with Salvatore and NeoBahamut recently about what they did to win the Tournament of Champions and to get their view on PVP in UO today.

The Traveler - How long have you been playing UO?

Salvatore - Six years.

NeoBahamut - Same.

The Traveler - Did you have any particular strategy going into the tournament?

Salvatore - We both went stun mage. We would stun one opponent, usually the one with higher resist, and then unload on the other one.

NeoBahamut - Once one was dead it was over. If there was a mage and a dexy, the mage had to die first, since they can heal better and do more damage than a dexy.

The Traveler - Divide and conquer?

Salvatore - *laughs* yes.

NeoBahamut - Indeed.

The Traveler - Is the stun mage template still viable in PVP? Salvatore - No, the paralyze of a stun attack doesn't even work against a mage with resist.

NeoBahamut - It’s too bad that many of the old templates are worthless in PVP, and even in PVM too. The best templates now are the parry mage and the scribe mage for sure, as opposed to stun mages and alchy mages at the time.

The Traveler - What else did you do as a team that helped you win the tournament?

Salvatore - We were using headsets so we could tell each other if/when we stunned someone.

NeoBahamut - Also we practiced a few times before the tournament. We are brothers though, so we fought well together from the start.

The Traveler - You mentioned using headsets to communicate during the fight. Do you think it gives an advantage and if so, how?

Salvatore - In 2v2 combat not so much anymore I guess, stun was the only real thing you needed to communicate; now you can just call a target and you can tell when to release your spell. Usually one person poisons and the other keeps going offense. As for group fights its fun to use headsets, adds to the excitement.

NeoBahamut - Its really a huge advantage. Being able to communicate without typing leaves your hands free to use more macros and run around more.

The Traveler - Mind telling us which program you use for that? Salvatore - Teamspeak is good.

NeoBahamut - Teamspeak it is.

The Traveler - When the tournament was announced did you do any trial runs? Such as taking on 2 other players to see what worked better?

Salvatore - We fought against 2 other teams to see what organized 2v2 combat was like.

NeoBahamut - Also we have been PVPing together and alone for a very long time. Back then fast casting was a skill, not an item property, and being able to do that was key.

The Traveler - Do you remember who they were?

Salvatore - Cyrus and Ramon was one team. We've known them for 5 years or so. The other was Fuddrucker and Lost Cause.

NeoBahamut - Also just random fighting around the moongates with reds and greys.

The Traveler - I know the tournament drew a lot of spectators. Was lag an issue for the participants?

Salvatore - I drove home to fight there because my connection at college sucked. It was about a 45 minute drive. I was living at college at that time. I got out of class, packed up my computer and drove home.

NeoBahamut - The lag wasn't bad for me at all, but my connection here at college has always been either great or terrible.

The Traveler - From what I can see there were 6 rounds. Were they all held on one night?

Salvatore -Yes. The fights only lasted a few minutes.

NeoBahamut - Once we were on a roll we couldn't be stopped.

The Traveler - The tournament ran about 5 hours.

The Traveler - Was there any reward besides the title "Grandmaster Duelist" on the paper dolls?

Salvatore -The white Viking swords. They are labeled "Sword Of The Champion." They were supposed to be blessed. After we won I decided to drop by Yew and someone stole it so I was like "hmmmmmm that's not good so I paged a GM and within a few minutes I had like 3-4 GMs talking to me. They went and got my sword back and they reblessed them.

NeoBahamut - That was a good steal really. Thieves are made for Trammel now though, which is pretty weak.

The Traveler - I know you are both still active on the PVP scene. How has PVP changed in the last 11months?

Salvatore - It is all item based now. I have inquisitor's resolution, ornament of magician, 10 spell damage ring, and midnight bracers.

NeoBahamut - Yah, it’s really bad now. I use the same things my brother uses, with the addition of the arcane shield. It’s completely unfair for anyone who fights me. I doubt that there is anyone on any shard that can beat me 1v1, or my brother and I 2v2 for that matter. :)

The Traveler - UO has gotten a lot of new players since the release of AoS. What pointers would you give them if they want to get involved with PVP?

Salvatore - Make an archer and go sit in doom all day to get the artifacts. You need good armor to PVP with. You need barbed kits. Barbed Runic made amour has good resists.

NeoBahamut - Don't concentrate on getting gold or anything, just work at getting the items you need. Powerscrolls and artifacts are great to use and sell; just getting any artifact is enough to buy you a full suit of good armor or trade for one you want. Don't concentrate on luck either; I think it’s over rated.

The Traveler - With all of the items in PVP now, has skill really taken a backseat?

Salvatore - Yes I would say so, but skill was on the way back there with the introduction of powerscrolls. There is no reason to complain its all items everyone can make a dexer and sit in doom to get artifacts too. Peeple who put forth the effort to get ahead should have an advantage.

NeoBahamut - It has, especially for mage vs. mage PVP (which is the only real PVP that ever existed). A 4/6 fastcast/fcr mage is unbeatable by either a mage or a dexer.

The Traveler - Ok, last question. If you could change any one thing about UO, what would it be?

Salvatore - I don't know. I really don't mind what UO has become. It's different but that's fine. I've adapted to the changes and come out on top. I love UO. That's why I still play.

NeoBahamut - I would make sure the tournament of champions actually got finished. Even though there was supposed to be a battle of the shard winners on test center, it was never done. Then when I say Catskills has the best PVP of any shard I could say it for sure. Then when I say we are the best of any shard at PVP, people will recognize. Even make a whole new tourney if they have to, the result now would be the same as the result was then.

I would like to thank Salvatore and NeoBahamut for taking the time to do this interview.

-The Traveler.

Sit with me and share your tales.

I agree to bringing back the fights, but i disagree with Sal and Neo in that I personally HATE artifacts and these new item properties like fast cast and recovery and defense chance. Anyone can succeed where you outclass and outfit your opponent. It takes skill to win when you are outclassed however, but now you can be so outclassed you have no hope, and i think thats stupid. Well, theres my two cents.

Times are changing and I beleive that there are going to be more and more events happening in Fel. About two or three weeks ago there was a few of us sparing at Olympus after our Sunday meeting. From that day forward there has been alot of changes in the skills some Guardians now pecess. I am a strong beleiver that you should be able to hold off any monster or player that atacks you. Wether you defeat that foe or have the skills necessary to last long enough for help to arrive or make a tactical retreat. I am always willing to help some one if they want to practice PVP either Mage or Warrior.

Tass

Strength and HONOR