Journal Entry: Two Masters, Part 2

NBBN: 16661-02110

The lobby was cozy. There was a fireplace, several chairs, and a couch. A servant stood quietly behind a counter in a corner. I'm not sure if he was mute, deaf, or could even hear. He made no movements at all. Standing beside one of the chairs was another magi, adorned in a robe of constantly shifting colors. Every color could be seen, including the lack of color, the purest of blacks. His face being that of a grim reaper. He was smoking a pipe and studying me as I entered.

"Please take a seat.", said Master Dubois, indicating the couch.

The other Magi bowed to Cassyr, "Hello Master of the Tower".

"Hello", replied Cassyr, "Balandar, this Highmage Daevin Aruth."

"Well met", I replied, watching the shifting colors of the Highmage's robe as he smoked his pipe.

"Do you have any questions about the Tower?", asked Cassyr.

"How many towers are there currently?", I asked, as I only knew of the Tower of High Sorcery in Rifts End, and now, this one.

"There are two towers at the moment. This tower and the tower in Rift's End.", said Cassyr as he lit his pipe.

I nodded, thinking it eerie he echoed my thoughts, "I have been to the tower in Rift's End."

"It is a nice tower.", said Cassyr, "So which areas of magic are you drawn to?", he asked, moving the conversation along.

I had to give this some thought. Death Magic was indeed what I was drawn too, but with the mishap of Schneider's brother I obviously needed additional study. I'm greater skilled in Air Magic, due to my past with archery and thieving... and I sense that I should master Air Magic before attempting another summoning with death magic, just to gain a deeper understanding of magic in general.

"My current priority is Air magic.", I finally decided, "It's what I... enjoy... most, second being Death, even though my skills in that school are limited... compared to Fire", I said, thinking that was my best direction for the time being.

Cassyr nodded, considering what I said, and looked over that the Highmage.

"The Tower of High Sorcery of Rift's End would be the place where all tests of High Sorcery are begun.", said Daevin.

Cassyr nodded in agreement, "All Tower Mages are required to pass the test to become a member."

"What tests are involved?", I asked, hearing rumors that some magi did not survive or came out physically or mentally damaged.

"Each test is tailored to the individual Mage and no test is the same and there is no preparing or studying for the test.", said Cassyr.

That's vague, I thought, makes it a bit difficult to know how to be prepared. "Interesting...", I said, "Who administers the test?"

"Daevin will administer the test with other members of the Conclave present."

"Do you have any other agendas as Tower Magi other than furthering the cause of magic?", I asked, wondering if they had a hidden agenda other than what was made apparent to the rest of Novia.

"We also strive to obtain a better understanding of magic in all its forms.  This tower does so through research and study of all things magic or occult.", said Cassyr.

"Being a Tower Magi is belonging to like minded Mages who strive for all Magi to be united in cause for the sole purpose to advance magic to it's fullest extent.", added the Highmage.

Nodding, I asked "Another question... How do the three known virtues impact magi in the order?"

"YOU are the only vessel who will determine how YOU will impact your Order", said Daevin.

Cassyr added, "All Tower Magi work together regardless of their virtue or associated karma."

Considering my past, my virtue could be seen in a negative light.., "Does one have to follow the virtues if they are of a specific order?"

"Each Tower is run independently from one another and each Tower Master has their own agenda as to how to run their Order but it is the individual who determines their virtue based upon their individual actions and not the actions of the Tower Magis of the Tower as a whole.", said the Highmage.

It's like they are reading my thoughts, "Excellent, that's what I was looking for..", I said smiling, "So there are few restrictions in how you conduct your practice other than wearing the robes of your order when in a tower?"

"Because of each Towers independence, you could say that it depends on the Master of the Tower who can and should make those decisions. Don't you think so?", asked Daevin.

Nodding, I said, "Indeed. That's good to hear."

Daevin continued, "In general all Towers will have core cannon that is required to be followed but those rules are not too strict"

"Yes, this tower, for example, has some additional tests that members of this Order must take.", Cassyr added.

Sounds like a lot of responsibility for the Tower Masters, "Are there any mandatory meetings?", I asked, wondering what responsibility there were for the Tower Magi.

Daevin looked at Cassyr Dubois and laughed.

Cassyr, smiling, said, "None really mandatory but some meetings may be required."

Daevin mysteriously added, "For the Conclave... yes. For you, who knows".

I'm not a Tower Magi yet, and I haven't passed the test, so understandable... but the conclave..., "Who is part of the conclave?"

"The Masters of the Towers make up the Conclave.", Cassyr said.

The Highmage continued, "Me and Master Dubois and soon others, but you need not concern yourself with matters such as those"

I nodded. Better changed the subject, "Understood. Any requirements for living quarters? I have my own residence currently."

"Not at the moment. I do not foresee any mandatory requirement but should a Tower Magi wish to lodge within a Tower then the Master will determine the requirement", said Daevin.

Good.

A group of like-minded individuals for the purpose of understanding of magic in all its forms. Perhaps this is what I need to further and satiate my own desires... "So how do we begin?", I asked leaning forward on the couch.

"You have already started...", said the Highmage. Turning, he smiled at Cassyr.

"Would you like to join the Tower of High Sorcery?", Cassyr asked.

"Aye, I would."

We made arrangements to meet at the Tower of High Sorcery in Rift's End on Thuresdai Novembre 7, Harvest 504 P.C. Midnight (two earth days).

"While awaiting your test you can should you choose stay at the Tower at Rift's End but it will not be very comfortable as you home most likely.", said Highmage Daevin Aruth, "Farewell then... until Thuresdai Midnight."

---

To be continued.