Journal Entry: The Urge

NBBN: 16661-02080

I'm now much more proficient in Air magic than I have ever been in life, even when I was a practitioner of archery. I only have some rudimentary memory of those ranger skills now, having used an ancient obsidian tome to further my progress in magic.

I've been studying death magic, where is stems from, the incantations... and dangers involved. I also took up fire, earth, sun, and chaos magic. Fire was definitely a good choice for me, watching bandits burn gives me a thrill that is quite... exquisite.

I learned Sun magic during a hunt with several members from the Moongate Travelers. They were kind enough to craft a couple of heavily enchanted wands to help begin my journey as a pure mage. In exchange, more or less, I donated my skull to their Evil Eye Tavern, which I have written about in my journal previously.

Searing ray is an interesting spell. A beam of light, reaching unknown temperatures, emits from your outstretched hands. It's not like Fire, which burns and ignites your victim in flames. Rather it causes the victims skin to bubble, to blister and melt. Wolves, Bears, and Undead all fell to us, to me... during the hunt.

The power that can be achieved through magic is immeasurable and extraordinary.

However, those schools of magic, Fire, Sun, Earth, even Air magic, of which I am most proficient, doesn't fully satisfy me... Death Magic, however, absolutely consumes and fascinates me.

It's always been there, under the surface. That urge. I don't know where it comes from. Borg Stonewall, the mayor of Honor Hold and current Leader of The Honor Empire, has been trying to lead me down a path of virtue. He has good intentions, stemming from some crazed idea that my ancestor, or me, or some part of me, my soul perhaps, is from another world and that I was a necromancer. Some Dead Lord by the same name... my name. Maybe it's true, perhaps not, but that's a story for another time.

Drocis was the catalyst. He hired me and another of my crew to test the security of his home. Unfortunately, perhaps not, now that I think about it... he arrived during our attempt to break in and proceeded to "protect" his home.  Seeing the raw power he unleashed... watching Schneider's life force spectacularly flow from his body... feeling my own energy seeping away... was intoxicating.

Perhaps it's related to my childhood, watching my family slaughtered before my eyes, but my interest in Death magic cannot be buried. I must learn more, and not just about Death. All schools of magic have been very beneficial. I recall Obsidian Tempest mentioning a Tower of High Sorcery. I'll have to look more into this tower...