SoTA Music and ABC/MML Resources

Balandar

It's been about 8-9 months since I researched converting MP3 to MIDI to ABC notation. I'll try digging up what programs I used.

If you have additional information on music in SoTA , please post in this thread.

Music and Instruments
Original Post

Musically-inclined Avatars can play instruments and songs for the enjoyment of friends, tavern patrons, or random passers-by. At present, your character can only play music while having a hand-held instrument equipped (such a as a lute) or by interacting with an instrument placed in the world (such as the piano in the Owl’s Head tavern).

Once equipped with a musical instrument, use the /play command to ready it then use number keys 1-8 to plays notes. Non-equipped instruments like pianos do not need to be readied with /play.

You can also play musical files by placing them in the SotA Songs folder. The filepath in your SotA install is: Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Data\Songs

All music files must be in the .mml or .abc file format. By default, the game begins with a copy of RuleBritannia.abc already in this folder.

• /play - Ready equipped instrument
  • #1-8- Plays notes. #1 is 1 Middle C pitch
  • /playlist- prints a list of all the songs in your songs folder
  • /play <songname>- plays the song, by file name, from your songs folder
  • /play <songname> loop- loops the song after finishing it
  • /play <songname> sync- prepares a song to play while in a party
  • /playstart- starts all party members playing their synced song

Conversion

Converting from MIDI to ABC Format

For converting files from MIDI to ABC, I recommend EasyABC. In regards to the conversion problems described above, it's no better or worse than any of the other conversion utilities out there, but it has two big advantages. First, it produces the cleanest, simplest conversions, which made them much easier to manually clean up after the initial conversion. Second, it's not just a conversion utility, it's also an ABC editor with a GUI, which also helps with the manual clean-up.

Sites