Origin finally did it

Prometheus

First of, I finnaly got my comp in resonable condition, so im back on boards!

Now the ugly part.  If youve already listen to 5000 rants today,  suffer one more for my sake, because this really burns me and I gotta rant, that or quit uo alltogether.

I started playing UO four years ago for no reason other then something to kill the time given to me by avid insomnia.  Its fun,  full of potential, and best of all only 10 bucks a month.  Considering how much I play, thats very cheap entertainment.  It didnt take me a few weeks to GM a skill, , or a few months.  Try 10 months, the pride I felt then I hit GM tactics was immesurable.  It was on an orc.  Not an orcish brute, or a bomber, just a good ol fashion orc.  :p    At that point I set out to create a seven times gm assassin.  I mean a real assassin.  Hiding, poisoning,  fencing, a RP char with a template that actually matched.  I got all the way up to 5 after YEARS of work when I finnished parry.  Parry used to be a godly skill to you youngins reading.  It was only beaten by resist in difficulty to raise (yell vets may argue this, but I had one heck of a time)  About a month later EA (not the good natured OSI the Garrot aka THE MAN started, but E call me Satan A) droped the bomb with powerhour.  Suddenly everyone had GM parry, and a month after that it got nerfed of course.  I was angry, but I coped.  Time after time again EA has provided me with these little pitfalls.  (example, the wonderful little bug there you could gm a crafting skill in two ph's.  That lasted over a month, great customer service!  Made the YEARS it took to gm smithing seem like a waste of time in my life ill never get back)  But today, today was the final straw.  When I started UO all american shards where fairly established, and the whole poineer spirit was missed by myself.  For four bloody years Ive waited for a new American shard.  Today they gave it to me, but at a price.  Gotta buy a new account.  Nope,  your four years means nothing to us, your *does math* 700+ $$$ and countless hours of comitment, those mean nil too.  Nope, we want another 15 bucks outta yah, plus another 10 every month hereafter, oh and btw, unless you give us another 30 per charicter, youll never compeate.  Have a nice day sir.  Why do we put up with this?  Simple,  five years ago an ingenous and creative man stumbled upon an revolutionary formula.  A game with infinate potential, human interaction, and no ending.  You cant win, but then you cant loose now can you?  You just play and play and enjoy yourself.  You can be someone else, you can be you.  Wanna build stuff, great.  Wanna house or even castle, great.  Want to cast epic spells and develope battle tactics of your own mind against not only computers but other intellegent player?  Awesome, well throw that in too.  This was an idea so good, that those blood sucking evil capitolistic monymongers at EA cant mess it up no matter how hard they try.  They just make it easier for those without patiance or even a few hours to kill to excell.  Yeah im hurt, my time an money mean nothing to these guys,  but i dont like em either so who cares.  To sum it up, they can take there new shard, there multi-million dollar buisness, there har-kreshna looking customer support, and any product they ever make again so long as they exist befor being bought out by more evil power then themselves and shove it all strait up there worthless a$$'s.  The moment I find a game with even 1/4 of the potential of UO, im moving.  My irl friends will prolly come to, so yall will make a killing on my stuff that ill prolly just give away.  Im not going away right now, but the fires snuffed, the only interest I have now is PGoH,  the other ant squashing passify the children crap might as well not exist to me.  For those of you who got through this,  thanks for reading and sorry for grammer errors, im just typing as fast as my fingers can move.

Triston all I can say is I understand and I don't blame you.  I hope you remain though.  Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) they will figure out that there are other ways to boost revenue and show the respect that is so much deserved and yearned for to veteran players who have spent 100's if not 1000's of dollars on this game.  Sometimes it is ok to upset the new player base to give those that have stuck with the game for its 5 years including the times in the beginning when about all you could do is log in and watch the screen freeze before your very eyes. *shudders remembering the early days*

I just found a good quote on Stratics from another player which pretty much sums up my feelings on Ebay, UO, and this whole "Advanced Character" business ...

------

Theres a powerscroll, a castle and a runic hammer in the poker pot, the hand has been dealt and cards have been played, just before the call two things happen:

1. One of the players, hands his cards to someone else and says play out my hand I am giving up gambling.

2. A new player shows up and buys a preset good, not great but darn good, hand from the dealer.

1 = eBay

2 = OSI

------

Me personally, I have 0 problems with Ebay or anyone buying things in UO for real cash.  It's not being created by OSI or anyone ... it's simply changing hands ... it is no different than trading for UO gold or trading for cash, the end result is the same.  I think that people are having trouble distinguishing between Ebay and what Origin is doing.  

Another common arguement people are saying is ... just cause Ebay is doing it, doesn't mean that it is "OK" for Origin to do it also.  The ol "would you jump off a bridge if this person did?" scenario ....

While I am still riled up about this whole business, I am going to put it behind me ... the only thing keeping the marjoity of UO players with this game is the friendships forged during our several years in this virtual world, and I am no exception.  And until all my friends are gone, I am here ....

I agree with you Tristin and everyone elses comments

It took me over a 1.5 years to gm mage on my very first char and that was started in Dec 1997, The pride and joy to make a char like she was great, took a full 2 years before she was gm in all her skills, And she had history, she was widely known to some as a ##### , But to her friends she couldn't do enough for them..

but like always as we have seen we adapet and yes now my char is a product of a macro baby, was do that or get left behind..

Just know they can do what ever they want...We know what it is to take pride in our chars and know how we made them real

lora

Ive been thinking on this issue.  A lot.  And while I am about as outraged as can be, Ive come to a point of disconscern.  While it is irritating that what was months on months to years of work has been crunched to either a week or two or thirty bucks does not matter.  I DID IT RIGHT.  I took the time and energy to pour countless hours of training and running to get ressurected into my charicters.  (for yall youngins, not everyone used to be able to rez.  Unless you where real lucky you where hoofin it back to town or praying for a wandering healer.   :O )  The point is that vets have exactly what they came for in the first place.  Lifelong friends, great status, and a charicter that they can take pride in.  I have a second account, its full of macro babies also as its only two years old.  I play those charicters maybe once a week.  My REAL charicters, my children, they onlyt sleep when I do.  Point being, EA can try as much as they want to mess this game up,  but the bonds I have between my pixil babies and the friends I have made along the way are perminate.  In all likely hood I will be moving to Horizons or ShadowBane (havent decided yet, horizons looks better, but summer of 2003!!!  thats forever   :p  )  eventually, but my main account will always be active, and I will not simply disapear.  So I leave you with these final words I heared from a witty gent at brit bank last night.

Name Change...  30$

Advanced Charicter...  30$

New account for new shard...15$

Destroying the greatest online game of all time...Priceless

There are some things that can never be ended, for everything else, theres EA.  Accepted everywhere you'd like to be.  ~Unknown